New dx

Options
Wenjaim10
Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23
edited November 2016 in Anal Cancer #1

I was recently dx with anal cancer and just finished my first week of chemo and radiation. Thus far, the only side effect is fatigue and today a little bit of nausea and diarrhea. How long after the pump comes off, will I experience side effects, or worry about having them? Thank you in advance for any help. 

Wendi

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    Options
    Wendy

I am sorry that you have gotten this diagnosis and have to undergo this treatment.  I went through treatment for anal cancer in 2008.  It sounds like your first week of treatment has produced the same side effects as I had during my first week.  Side effects are cumulative for most people, meaning they will intensify as treatment continues.  However, it's impossible for me to tell you how your body will react to treatment, as everyone is different.  I was in good physical condition, despite being diagnosed with cancer, when I began treatment.  Towards the end, I was pretty miserable with burns from the radiation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fatigue, mouth sores, insomnia and pain with bowel movements/urination.  All that said, there are things your doctors can give you to lessen some of these side effects.  The best advice I can give you is to speak up at the onset of any side effects and let them know what you are experiencing.  Ask for something!  Stay well-hydrated and when you feel like you need to rest, do so!

You will get through this just like the rest of this on this site have done.  Take it one day at a time.  Keep us posted on how you're doing and how we can help you get through this.  We are here to support you.  I wish you all the best.

Martha

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    Wendi....

It seems that we have welcomed several new members to our family lately.....welcome, while sad that this group is growing it is also so good to know that you have found this place. I was not aware of this group when dx with anal cancer in 2011 and it sure would have been of help! 

Congratulations on completeing week one!!

As said, the effects seem to build over time and in varying degrees for us all. If you are feeling up to it give your body a boost with some good nutrition and staying hydrated, as it is common for appetites to plummet as time goes on. If I remember correctly, it seemed that the day the pump came off and the following day or two I had a bit of nausea (though never did vomit) then feeling a bit better until the next round. Eventually the tiredness seemed to last and the radiation burns increased about mid way through. 

I recommend anti-nausea meds that can be prescribed by your doctor even if you don't feel you need them....stay ahead of the queaziness. The pain from radiation greatly increased as well and I was prescribed pain meds for that too. Drink as many fluids as you can, and rest.......set you sights on the New "healthy" Year ahead.

Please feel free to come here with any questions as they arise, as I'm sure someone here will have a tip or advice to share and nothing is off topic.....we're all in the same boat!!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue...

katheryn

• Wenjaim10
    Options
    mp327 said:

Wendy

I am sorry that you have gotten this diagnosis and have to undergo this treatment.  I went through treatment for anal cancer in 2008.  It sounds like your first week of treatment has produced the same side effects as I had during my first week.  Side effects are cumulative for most people, meaning they will intensify as treatment continues.  However, it's impossible for me to tell you how your body will react to treatment, as everyone is different.  I was in good physical condition, despite being diagnosed with cancer, when I began treatment.  Towards the end, I was pretty miserable with burns from the radiation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fatigue, mouth sores, insomnia and pain with bowel movements/urination.  All that said, there are things your doctors can give you to lessen some of these side effects.  The best advice I can give you is to speak up at the onset of any side effects and let them know what you are experiencing.  Ask for something!  Stay well-hydrated and when you feel like you need to rest, do so!

You will get through this just like the rest of this on this site have done.  Take it one day at a time.  Keep us posted on how you're doing and how we can help you get through this.  We are here to support you.  I wish you all the best.

Martha

Thank you for your reply. It

Thank you for your reply. It makes it a bit "easier" to hear other experiences with side effects rather than what the doctor says. 

• Wenjaim10
    Options
    eihtak said:

Wendi....

It seems that we have welcomed several new members to our family lately.....welcome, while sad that this group is growing it is also so good to know that you have found this place. I was not aware of this group when dx with anal cancer in 2011 and it sure would have been of help! 

Congratulations on completeing week one!!

As said, the effects seem to build over time and in varying degrees for us all. If you are feeling up to it give your body a boost with some good nutrition and staying hydrated, as it is common for appetites to plummet as time goes on. If I remember correctly, it seemed that the day the pump came off and the following day or two I had a bit of nausea (though never did vomit) then feeling a bit better until the next round. Eventually the tiredness seemed to last and the radiation burns increased about mid way through. 

I recommend anti-nausea meds that can be prescribed by your doctor even if you don't feel you need them....stay ahead of the queaziness. The pain from radiation greatly increased as well and I was prescribed pain meds for that too. Drink as many fluids as you can, and rest.......set you sights on the New "healthy" Year ahead.

Please feel free to come here with any questions as they arise, as I'm sure someone here will have a tip or advice to share and nothing is off topic.....we're all in the same boat!!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue...

katheryn

Thank you Katherine. I do

Thank you Katherine. I do have zofran, but the nausea really hasen't been bad yet. I do have one more question. My lymph nodes in my groin area are painful, is this a normal side effect? I don't remember reading it anywhere. Also, where do I need to be putting the aquaphor?  Just in the recital area? 

Thank you again. 

Wendi

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2016 #6
    Options
    Wendi

You may have some pain in the groin area because of the radiation.  As for the Aquaphor, you can apply it wherever you need.  I would suggest applying it not only to the rectal area, but also the insides of your upper thighs.  That was where I had some of the most serious burning.

• Wenjaim10
    Options
    mp327 said:

Wendi

You may have some pain in the groin area because of the radiation.  As for the Aquaphor, you can apply it wherever you need.  I would suggest applying it not only to the rectal area, but also the insides of your upper thighs.  That was where I had some of the most serious burning.

Thank you. I didn't even

Thank you. I didn't even think about the inside of my thighs, glad I asked. 

• nonichol
    nonichol Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Wendi

welcome to the group. Sorry you need to be here, but this is the place for the best info regarding this disease. treatment effects are progressive. Hang in ther, you can do it!