Therapies for restricted left arm movement post surgery and radiotherapy

One year after left breast lumpectomy and radiotherapy my left arm rotation and abduction became restricted. Muscles/ligaments I have been told have shortened, plus there is fibrosis and after 4/5 months of physiotherapy there is little improvement.  Had I been told to exercise post radiotherapy this would not have occured, so I am told. 

Has anyone had similar experience and what if any therapy has helped improve arm movement and flexibility. 

Thanks so much for any information.

Carol

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    I get it

As soon as doc says OK I just started vaccuming  and it was painful a little afterwards for the night but eventually totally worked.

Cleaning a closet or bookcase.

Avoid repetitive movements if too much aftereffects.

Kitchen floor good too if you go slow and the cabinets if you don't have a greasy-handed partner requiring scrubbing

I am sure you get the idea so I hope you can figure something out from this. Just remember to get doc's ok for the kind of movements you want to do.

All the best

• Maximom
    Maximom Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2016 #3
    I had limited movement

I had limited movement immediately after surgery in May, went to PT, still doing daily exercises, and NO improvement.  Looking into massage therapy at advice of

PS .

Best of Luck 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    So many things they dont tell us

I, like many otheres, have found out the hard way the side effects of breast cancer.  I had my bi-lateral in March of 2016, high dose chemo done and have oved on to Herception until next Aug.  The healing has been horrific, the healing is still ongoing.  No one walks away unscathed.  I now have lyphodemia in both arms for life.  The extreme exhaustion is ongoing and they tell me that it will probalby be that way for another year after my last treatment next Aug.   I have diabeties and the chemo has flared up the neurpothy to it's worst.  I spent a whole month crawling and hobbiling due to the burns on my feet and hands due to the high dose (red devil) chemo.  I wore slippers into chemo even.  The lymphedemia effects both arms and my neck.  It is painful and I am learning to deal with it.  The chemo has caused nerve damage to my ears and now I have stabbing pains and sensitivity to noise now.  They dont know if that will go or not.  You get up and you fight and you fight and you dont give up.  Some days you dont fight as well and it is always ok to cry.  Just dont forget to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep fighting another day.  I believe in God and I know He has me.  I am at peace with knowing this.  I wish you peace and healing.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    edited November 2016 #5
    Exercise

I don't know if it is ok in your case, but exercise helped me very much. I could barely lift my arm, but with patience I now have almost full range of movement. Its a lifetime commitment though. I notice if I slack off for a few days, I start getting stiff again. What I would do is exercise with 2 pound weights and if I got sore or swollen, I would backpeddle and reduce the reps. Then build up all over again, 2-3 reps at a time. It took about a year to get to where I am now which is a full 1/2 hour 3 times a week (never more than 3 pound weights, just lots of reps). I can now do full circles with my arms. I can carry my groceries by myself and do all my own housework. It's great not having to ask for help with daily tasks! Ask your doctor what kind of program you could follow.

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    edited November 2016 #6
    Range of Motion

I had a mastectomy on the right side along with the removal of 22 lymph nodes. My range of motion was not good despite physical therapy. I consulted an orthopedic surgeon and after some diagnostic imaging on my shoulder I was told that I had developed adhesive capsulitis also known as frozen shoulder. I had arthroscopic surgery on that shoulder. After the surgery I went to physical therapy (with a different PT group) and was able to regain probably 85% of my range of motion. Definitely a step up from where I was so I am pleased. I hope things improve for you.

IRENE