just diagnosed III (T1N2M0) foolish questions? etc.

Options
magpiejst
magpiejst Member Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in Anal Cancer #1

I'm a 68 year old woman who doesnt feel it but suspects I will soon...starting chemo/radiation on nov 14 scheduled to finish just as the year ends. besides dove soap and baby wipes what should i be stocking up on? is there a truly soft toilet tissue?  seeing a nutritionist but i dont know when. what have you guys found easy to eat/satisfying? any words of wisdom or encouragement, other resources appreciated.

Comments

• nonichol
    nonichol Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Not foolish

Check some of the old post about radiation. Many tips on how to deal with it!

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    magpiejst

I'm sorry you have had to seek out this site due to a cancer diagnosis.  Regarding your first question about wipes/toilet tissue:  As I got further into treatment, I found that toilet tissue was way too abrasive, as I had burns.  I was advised not to use wipes, as even those that say they are flushable are not.  I kept a small bucket of water by the toilet and dipped the toilet paper in it before wiping.  It made it a lot less abrasive.  Some people buy a bidet attachment for their toilet, some just rinse off in the shower.  The main thing is to not irritate the radiated area any more than necessary.

Our poster, Andylein, seems to think that yogurt is the answer to all ills.  While I recommend eating lots of protein during treatment, including yogurt, what you eat will depend on your appetite.  I stocked up on lots of foods that I would love to eat under normal circumstances, but the chemo trashed my taste buds, so a lot of those foods did not sound good to me once I began treatment.  The chemo may cause mouth sores, so soft foods may become necessary at a certain point in your treatment.  In addition to yogurt, eggs, boiled chicken, protein drinks, and fish would all be good choices, as they are easier to digest than beef or some other things high in protein.  Do not be surprised if your taste is off--some people say things have a metal taste when they get chemo.  That may be alleviated by using plastic eating utensils.  To avoid mouth sores, rinse your mouth with a solution of salt or baking soda added to water.  Stay very well-hyrated.  Bring any and all concerns to the attention of your nurses/doctors immediately.

Radiation burns can be soothed by things such as aloe, Aquaphor, Silver Sulfadiazine or Domeboro soaks.  Just remember that your skin must be free of any of these prior to getting radiation treatment.  They can be re-applied following treatment.  Some people get relief by soaking in the tub with some Epson salts added. 

www.analcancerhelp.info  is a great website for lots of good information.  Please check it out.

I wish you all the very best as you begin treatment soon.  This treatment has good results and the survival rate is better than for other types of cancer, so you have every reason to be hopeful and encouraged that your treatment will be successful.  I am an 8-year survivor, if that gives you hope!  Let us know how we can further help you here.  Take care.

Martha

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited November 2016 #4
    Options
    magpiejst.....

I'm sorry that you have the need to be here, but it is a source of valuable information that will hopefully make this treatment just a bit easier for you. I was dx with Stage3b anal cancer in Jan. 2011 and was unaware of this site until I had completed treatment. It would have been a tremendous help, had I known where to go. As you proceed feel free to ask any specific questions, as we are all different in how our bodies react yet undoubtedly someone will have some helpful advice to share. 

My husband installed a hand held shower head that was a big help in soothing and cleaning that tender sore skin during and after radiation. Once the burns got bad I did not use toilet paper but rather moisened paper towel (I found VIVA to be the best) and then just tossed in the trash rather than flush. Baby wipes come in handy as well but stay away from those that are scented. There are many people here who found relief using ointments (ask your radiation doctor for recommendations) though Aquafor is a good one and can be purchased OTC. I also like Dermoplast spray as it was easy to apply. It is IMPORTANT to NOT have any sprays or ointments on during the radiation itself as it will cause a more severe burn. Since mid-way through is about when it begins to get bad, I only used the spray on weekends (no treatment days) and was sure to wash off before Mondays appointment.

Common sense says to stay hydrated during both chemo and radiation, and it is important but for me it was difficult.  I wish I had tried harder because I would have felt better. My mouth became very dry and I used Biotine (sp) rinse to sooth the dryness. When I developed some mouth sores (not uncommon) I was given a prescription rinse but it is basically a mix of Mallox and Benadryl.

Some other threads have much information regarding radiation, but it is always good to start with fresh ideas from people going through recent treatment too. (So maybe take some time to scan those past tips, but stay in touch with us now as well)

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for smooth sailing as you proceed.....set your sights on that Happy New Year ahead!! It will be here before you know it!

katheryn

• magpiejst
    edited November 2016 #5
    Options
    eihtak said:

magpiejst.....

I'm sorry that you have the need to be here, but it is a source of valuable information that will hopefully make this treatment just a bit easier for you. I was dx with Stage3b anal cancer in Jan. 2011 and was unaware of this site until I had completed treatment. It would have been a tremendous help, had I known where to go. As you proceed feel free to ask any specific questions, as we are all different in how our bodies react yet undoubtedly someone will have some helpful advice to share. 

My husband installed a hand held shower head that was a big help in soothing and cleaning that tender sore skin during and after radiation. Once the burns got bad I did not use toilet paper but rather moisened paper towel (I found VIVA to be the best) and then just tossed in the trash rather than flush. Baby wipes come in handy as well but stay away from those that are scented. There are many people here who found relief using ointments (ask your radiation doctor for recommendations) though Aquafor is a good one and can be purchased OTC. I also like Dermoplast spray as it was easy to apply. It is IMPORTANT to NOT have any sprays or ointments on during the radiation itself as it will cause a more severe burn. Since mid-way through is about when it begins to get bad, I only used the spray on weekends (no treatment days) and was sure to wash off before Mondays appointment.

Common sense says to stay hydrated during both chemo and radiation, and it is important but for me it was difficult.  I wish I had tried harder because I would have felt better. My mouth became very dry and I used Biotine (sp) rinse to sooth the dryness. When I developed some mouth sores (not uncommon) I was given a prescription rinse but it is basically a mix of Mallox and Benadryl.

Some other threads have much information regarding radiation, but it is always good to start with fresh ideas from people going through recent treatment too. (So maybe take some time to scan those past tips, but stay in touch with us now as well)

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for smooth sailing as you proceed.....set your sights on that Happy New Year ahead!! It will be here before you know it!

katheryn

thank you katheryn

this sort of personal info is wonderful to hear. just a detail like the fact that it gets bad midway is truly helpful. not knowing what expect is hardest. 

• magpiejst
    Options
    mp327 said:

magpiejst

I'm sorry you have had to seek out this site due to a cancer diagnosis.  Regarding your first question about wipes/toilet tissue:  As I got further into treatment, I found that toilet tissue was way too abrasive, as I had burns.  I was advised not to use wipes, as even those that say they are flushable are not.  I kept a small bucket of water by the toilet and dipped the toilet paper in it before wiping.  It made it a lot less abrasive.  Some people buy a bidet attachment for their toilet, some just rinse off in the shower.  The main thing is to not irritate the radiated area any more than necessary.

Our poster, Andylein, seems to think that yogurt is the answer to all ills.  While I recommend eating lots of protein during treatment, including yogurt, what you eat will depend on your appetite.  I stocked up on lots of foods that I would love to eat under normal circumstances, but the chemo trashed my taste buds, so a lot of those foods did not sound good to me once I began treatment.  The chemo may cause mouth sores, so soft foods may become necessary at a certain point in your treatment.  In addition to yogurt, eggs, boiled chicken, protein drinks, and fish would all be good choices, as they are easier to digest than beef or some other things high in protein.  Do not be surprised if your taste is off--some people say things have a metal taste when they get chemo.  That may be alleviated by using plastic eating utensils.  To avoid mouth sores, rinse your mouth with a solution of salt or baking soda added to water.  Stay very well-hyrated.  Bring any and all concerns to the attention of your nurses/doctors immediately.

Radiation burns can be soothed by things such as aloe, Aquaphor, Silver Sulfadiazine or Domeboro soaks.  Just remember that your skin must be free of any of these prior to getting radiation treatment.  They can be re-applied following treatment.  Some people get relief by soaking in the tub with some Epson salts added. 

www.analcancerhelp.info  is a great website for lots of good information.  Please check it out.

I wish you all the very best as you begin treatment soon.  This treatment has good results and the survival rate is better than for other types of cancer, so you have every reason to be hopeful and encouraged that your treatment will be successful.  I am an 8-year survivor, if that gives you hope!  Let us know how we can further help you here.  Take care.

Martha

thank you martha

the specific personal details are really helpful. i've been reading up lots but it's experience that teaches best. thank you for your help.