Hemicolectomy next week 11/8/16. What to expect after that? Getting back on feet, eating?

Options
TedP
TedP Member Posts: 4

I have a hemi colectomy coming next week week. What can I expect when I wake up and the next several days? What does one eat? It's got to be different, how long does that go on?  How about getting around? Is there discomfort, fatigue? 

Its not clear except for bowel changes that don't sound all that different from now and I'm told I'll be brought up to speed before my release based on how I come out of surgery. 

I'd sure appreciate some insight. 

Thanks

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different

You could be back eating most things in a few days.  They generally like you to stick to low fiber, low residue for a few weeks to allow your gut to heal.  It took me a bit after mine, but eventuallyI was able to eat anything.  (It took me extra time because I hit significant very rare complications.)  Most recent surgery, at 4 weeks out, I'm eating normally.

• TedP
    Options
    Everyone is different

thanks, abrub. I appreciate that. 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited November 2016 #4
    Options
    Welcome

Sorry you are here for obvious reasons, but it is a good place.  I asked something similar about 18 months ago or so before my surgery.  For me the toughest post of surgery is the waking up - not a fan of being confused and out of it.  Had some discomfort, but started walking the next day.  Took a bit of work and maybe went 3 or 4 feet.  Kept on trying and by the end of the day I made a "lap."  Had the IV wheelie thing for support.  By the next day I was doing more than one lap multiple times and helping others who were just a bit behind me from what they looked liked (more recent out of surgery.)  Everyone here let me know getting up and moving ASAP was important which is why I made sure to do it.  It has many benefits and something the docs want to see.  Or hear.  One of the things that colon cancer is good for is allowing us to unleash our inner 5 year old.  You need to pass gas as part of getting released and walking helps that also :)

I did have a bit of internal bleeding so the first time I went to the bathroom I was excited (bowel movements are part of the get out of hospital thing) but it was really just blood.  Of course I was a bit more concerned than the nurses, who have seen it before.  More for you just in case so it is not a shock.  

I was uncomfortable more than in pain, other than coughing (get a pillow to hold against stomach to help with that).  The only real pain, which I had again with my surgery last month on my lung, was spasms which were controlled quickly with Ativan I believe.  

Started the next morning with liquids, clear broth, tea, jello, ices, things like that.  Think it was a day or so of that.  I checked in on a Tuesday and was discharged on the Saturday and was eating solid foods, or what passes as food in a hospital ;)  (It actually was not bad, especially when not eating solids for a couple of days.)

I know I had some discomfort a week out, but again nothing major. I know I was walking around the house the Sunday after release (basically 5 days after surgery). We had some things go wrong with plumbing and had to call someone in.  It was "Really just had surgery now we got this going on?" which is why I remember that one.  Chilling on the couch was pretty good, could get up and walk with slight discomfort, but nothing horrible.  By 10 days out I was going okay and I recall thinking at the 2 week mark that I was doing well.  ("Holy c--p, two weeks ago I was going through surgery and the rest and now it is starting to become more a memory.")  

One of the things that is the toughest is the waiting and anticipation along the way.  Ask questions here.  Make jokes, laugh, cry, whatever you need.  There are a ton of great people here and a ton of tips, knowledge and friendship.  

• TedP
    Options
    Thanks, NewHere

You were right on the money understanding my concern and nervousness. Wondering what waking up and the next few days and couple of weeks wI'll have in store. 

Thank you

• abrub
    Options
    TedP said:

Thanks, NewHere

You were right on the money understanding my concern and nervousness. Wondering what waking up and the next few days and couple of weeks wI'll have in store. 

Thank you

Make sure you are getting adequate pain relief

You need to stay ahead of the surgical pain; it's harder to get it back in control.  If your relief isn't adequate, make sure they know.  I had an epidural, which was wonderful, but I can't take the opioids orally or by IV, so they needed another direction with me.  (Opioids make me itch much worse than the pain they are supposed to resolve.)

• TedP
    Options
    Thanks abrub.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. So far I've handled pain meds well. 

• abrub
    Options
    I hope it went well

And that you are walking the halls by now.  That will get everything moving more quickly.  Also, use your incentive spirometer!  Pneumonia is no fun (I did that with my first surgery.  Ugh.)

And understand that this is major surgery - it will be a while before you feel like yourself again.

Note that after my hemicolectomy plus sigmoid resection plus small intestine resection, I came out functioning perfectly normally again.  Eventually, my bowels worked perfectly - no bag.

• NewHere
    Options
    TedP said:

Thanks, NewHere

Thank you

You Are Welcome

You will be up and rockin' in no time :)  

• NewHere
    edited November 2016 #10
    Options
    abrub said:

I hope it went well

And that you are walking the halls by now.  That will get everything moving more quickly.  Also, use your incentive spirometer!  Pneumonia is no fun (I did that with my first surgery.  Ugh.)

And understand that this is major surgery - it will be a while before you feel like yourself again.

Note that after my hemicolectomy plus sigmoid resection plus small intestine resection, I came out functioning perfectly normally again.  Eventually, my bowels worked perfectly - no bag.

Yup

Just noticed the date and echoing your thoughts