My Job

Options
janaes
janaes Member Posts: 799 Member

So i went and talked to the director of my work today.  Good thing i did becauce she was going to be out of the office the next couple of days and she had told me to contact her before the end of the month.  The bad news was that the gentleman just under her is the one that works with all the highering and he was not there today and so the director will see him tomarrow and talk to him but she said he couldnt get back to me until Friday because he was going to be out of the office too.  I wish he could have been there today because the director didnt know much about where they could put me and now I have to wait until friday.  She asked me lots of questions about where i would be willing to work (which school) and i told her i would work with them.  When i went with my dad to talk to her back in augast  she told me they would try very hard to save my exact position.  My dad and i both told her that we understood if i needed to be moved.  Either she has know clue because she isnt the one the does that stuff (which it sounds like the case) or they havent saved my original job.  That is kind of scary because she also said to me she is pretty sure they hae a place for me. I was thinking "pretty sure that is not what you said before".  I sure hope the guy under her knows more than she does.   I am hoping she just didnt know and wanted to help me feel good about  being back on and didnt know what else to say since her help wasnt there. I had to go in to my work a little oer a week ago too to have the HR deparment fill out a paper saying i am temperary leave so they could give that to my insurance.  I had to do that to keep my insurance. I guess I get to wait a little more and see what happens.  The interesting thing was about two weeks ago i went to the bank to put some money in and asked about their highering process.  I went on-line and started feeling out an application and stoped because i didnt feel comfortable giving out  my current jobs phone number.  I didnt want them to know i was looking for a new job.   But was was definetly looking. 

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,814 Member
    edited October 2016 #2
    Options
    Janae,

Janae,

I think it is great that you are looking for other jobs! And, I don't believe that will hurt you in your current job either. It is very common for people to do just what you are doing. Nothing wrong with moving on if you are given an opportunity to do so.

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. I know you will be fine.

Take care of yourself.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you're taking leave under

If you're taking leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), then they are required to give you either the same job back or at least a "nearly identical" one. You have legal rights and they can get into pretty serious trouble if they try to deny them to you. If you're not taking FMLA leave, then hopefully they will work with you.

I hope that you get your job back if that is what you want. From your earlier posts it seemed that you liked it - it was hard work, for sure, but you liked it. Otherwise, there are plenty of places that would be lucky to have you.

Hang in there and fight for whatever it is that makes you happy. :)

• brissance
    brissance Member Posts: 192
    Options
    It Will Work Out

Onward... you are doing so well.  If you have a chance sit down and write you recollections of your conversations with your boss and anyone significant at company about future employment.  At least you have some record of what has been said.  If you feel you need to and it HELPS, write a summary of your recollections to your boss via email. "Just confirming your understanding" Now, you have her placed in a situation where she can't or shouldn't "change" her mind...  But that is done only if you think it will help you.  If you don't send it to your boss send a copy to yourself or to your dad so you have it documented with date it was sent etc.  Watch your backside.  If necessary call legal aid in your area.  BUT ... if you are up for it and want to try something new, go looking.  Just check what is available.  This may be a perfect opportunity.  And you were right not to give a number, disclose your job hunt when you are ready.  Good luck my friend.  :)

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Holding good thoughts...

Sending prayers that you find a peace about whatever decision you make or are forced to make.  I agree that whatever will be will be- I've gotten so much better at pushing on "doors" and either they open and I walk through or they will not open- that's ok with me now- I just move to the next door.  Just another little "blessing" of this dis-ease.  For right now just thankful you got to keep your Ins.

Keep us posted.   (((HUGS)))

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited October 2016 #6
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing about FMLA. I hope you have it, but it's also good to be looking for other job possibilities. Best of luck!

• Mmpeterson
    Mmpeterson Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2016 #7
    Options
    I wish employers would see

I wish employers would see what we all go through with this disease, maybe they would realize that worrying about keeping our job shouldn't be an issue and they should be much more understanding and compassionate.  Fortunately my company is smaller and my boss is very understanding so I thank God everyday that I am very blessed.  Janae, I hope that you either find someplace else or your employer wakes up and let's you get back to work soon.  Prayers and hugs to you!!!  Maryanne

• janaes
    Options
    I felt so fortunate that my

I felt so fortunate that my work had told me back in augast that they would hold my job that i took there word for it when my director said she would hold my job. I guess my dad thought the same.  Later i did start thinking about it not working out.   23 years ago when i had cancer i was working and i remember how understanding my work was.  I cant even remember if FMLA exsisted but i didnt even have to use it because they told me they would give me my job back as soon as i could.  They supported me as i tried to come back and couldnt and when it was over i came back and they just let me.  I remember how accomidating they were. 

I was scared that this current job wouldnt do that but when the director told me she would i was so glad and hoped she would do what my previous empoyer did.  I did not get FMlA.  I trusted her.  I guess i really still dont know if they will work with me so there is hope,but i will be honest thhat i was really feeling sad and even got angry and depressed a bit as i was thinking about what she said to me.  I am a single mom and really feel the pressure to work. I sure hope this works out. I really am hating this cancer junk right now.   Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.  I need them right now,

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not fair

Not fair at all, but if life was fair there would be no cancer.  So sorry that you now have to worry about this.  I am hoping and,praying for,the,best outcome for,you.  You are strong and you,will get through this too.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• janaes
    edited October 2016 #10
    Options
    I desided today that its not

I desided today that its not worth the effoert to worry over this.  Thanks to my friend i got up and got on with my day.  I even did a few dishes.  I told my self if i dont here from the guy from work by friday afternoon i am going to go over there again to figure out what is going on.  I am hoping for a job back.  I hear it many times on this forum that there is always hope and i believe it.

• Nellasing
    Options
    janaes said:

I desided today that its not

I desided today that its not worth the effoert to worry over this.  Thanks to my friend i got up and got on with my day.  I even did a few dishes.  I told my self if i dont here from the guy from work by friday afternoon i am going to go over there again to figure out what is going on.  I am hoping for a job back.  I hear it many times on this forum that there is always hope and i believe it.

Good for YOU!

You are feisty and as we all know, that's what it takes ;)  CHEERING YOU ON <3  (((HUGS)))

• janaes
    edited October 2016 #12
    Options
    So the highering gentleman

So the highering gentleman from my work called today.  Im glad he did. In order for him to hire me back it looks like it is policy to have him give me a paper to have my doctor sign showing that i can come back.  (it looks like that is the case when ever someone takes a medical leave of absance).  So i am trying to decide what doctor i should have sign and fill out the paper.  He didnt say a certain doctor.  I just saw my radioligist yesterday and was thinking maybe i could take it to his office monday and pick it up on  my next appointment on thusday.  I kind of thought it would be good to talk to the doctor  before i turned it in.  Hes probably the only doctor that i could accually speak with personally with out waiting weeks for an appointment.  My GP i think i would still have to wait weeks for.  I do have an apointment with her but not for a few weeks.  I Just think it would be good to talk to the doctor if i can.  What do you guys think?

• Mmpeterson
    Mmpeterson Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2016 #13
    Options
    That is the same at my work. 

That is the same at my work.  My boss needs a medical release from my dr stating I can return to work.  I am not sure if they need it from my pcp or oncologist, I am thinking my oncologist since she is the one treating me right now.  Hope this helps.  Maryanne

• Nellasing
    Options
    Go with the one you see next :D

That sounds like a good idea to talk with the one who is actively seeing you now.  They can give you a good direction to head if it's not up to them.  You can always just send it to your Dr. and they can send it back to you without having an apt. 

I always just send a message through "my chart" and the nurse on the other end will find out what I need and get back to me in a short amount of time.

At least that sounds like a positive thing vs. not having a job right?!  YAY!!  Hang in there janaes :D  (((HUGS)))

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    That is good news! They have

That is good news! They have you as being out on medical leave so it's likely that you're covered under the FMLA and will get your job back (or one very much like it). I agree that you should take the form to your radiologist. The sooner you can get the paperwork started the sooner you can get started on your new normal. Good luck to you!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always had to have a

Yes, I always had to have a release from the doctor when going back to work after a medical leave. Yes, take it to the doc who you can see most easily.