Tamoxifen vs Lupron

Options
1stTimeStage2
1stTimeStage2 Member Posts: 38 Member

Hello - I have just begun Lupron and I will eventually add an aromatase inhibitor to my mix. I started with Lupron but I am wondering why so many people take tamoxifen instead. can anyone share with me the pros and cons of each and why someone may choose one over another? Many thanks!!!

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited October 2016 #2
    Options
    I have never heard of Lupron

I have never heard of Lupron-I took tamoxifen for 5 years. I did have to have total hystectomy from an 'enlarged' unterus (a known side effect of taxofin)

about 2 1/2 yrs into taking it-after surgery/ recorey I went back on it to finish up total of 5 yrs!

Denise

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited October 2016 #3
    Options
    Tamoxifen vs. Aromatase Inhibitor

Generally speaking, Tamoxifen is for women who are premenopausal, whereas an aromatase inhibitor (Arimidex, Femara, or Aromasin) is for women who are postmenopausal.  There are some exceptions, but in general, the great dividing line is pre- vs. postmenopausal.

Premenopausal women can also opt to have regular Lupron injections to shut down their ovaries, which then makes them similar to someone who is postmenopausal, and they can take an aromatase inhibitor instead of Tamoxifen.

I don't have any information as to why a premenopausal woman would choose Lupron injections over taking Tamoxifen -- taking a pill is certainly much easier than going to the doctor's office every month for an injection, and my understanding is that the injections are no fun -- but Tamoxifen does have some risks, so perhaps that's a better choice for some women with certain risk factors.

Hope that helps a little?

Traci

• 1stTimeStage2
    1stTimeStage2 Member Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016 #4
    Options
    drug interactions

I believe that Lupron/aromatase inhibitor is more tolerable of drugs like Lexapro.

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited October 2016 #5
    Options

drug interactions

I believe that Lupron/aromatase inhibitor is more tolerable of drugs like Lexapro.

Drug interactions with Tamoxifen

Yes, you're right -- I've definitely heard of some common drugs that can make Tamoxifen less effective, and many doctors recommend that women who are taking Tamoxifen avoid or try to limit taking these drugs.

I've been on Tamoxifen for 7 years (3 more years to go!) -- for me, I had to switch from Tagamet (which can interact with Tamoxifen) to Pepcid for heartburn/gastritis issues that sometimes flare up, and also avoid taking any sleep aids that contain Benadryl.  

(Thankfully, my oncologist didn't start me on Tamoxifen until after I'd finished chemo, because they pumped me full of enough Benadryl to down a cow every time I had chemo!)

Traci

• Skymaps
    Skymaps Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Tamoxifen

Saw your post about you taking tamoxifen. My oncologist recommened tamoxifen and I'm supposed to start in December. I'm concerned about the side effects. Any side effects you experienced that you could share? Thanks.

• Rhea2
    Rhea2 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Alternatives to Tamoxifen

The oncologist recommended tamoxifen, until she learned after treatment knee replacement surgery is scheduled and changed the Rx to Arimidex, because of the possiblity of blood clots with the Tamoxifen. However, Lupron injections are being given, every 3 or 6 months,  to my companion for  prostate cancer, to halt harmone production. This is new information regarding it being prescribed for breast cancer.   Good luck with your decisions.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    edited November 2016 #8
    Options
    Interesting

I was given Lupron for 6 months because the doctor was going to do a hysterectomy on me and indicated that it would help him with the surgery as it would soften the endometrial lesions that I had.   They ususally give Lupron to women who have endometriosis.  It puts you in menopause and stops the endometriosis.  So my doctor wanted me to be on it to stop the endometriosis prior to surgery.  I didn't have any scans or anything prior to my hysterectomy.  The hysterectomy went well but when I went for my checkup I was advised that they found cancer.   I am wondering now whether not the Lupron was the cause of it.