Off topic - World Series Anyone?

hardo718
hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member

Personally, we're flyin the W. 

Needless to say, hoping for a win here in Chicago.  It's only been 108 years!!  So many of my relatives that have passed on were die-hard Cubs fans and can legitimately say it's a family tradition.  Unfortunately, with tickets costing $1900 for standing room only at the "friendly confines", we'll be watching from the comfort of our home or maybe at a favorite drinking hole.

Wishing everyone well!

Donna~

Comments

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited October 2016 #2
    Strange Cricket

Naturally, I want the team that hasnt won it for the longest to win it at last. I believe that is Chicago?

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    As a life long Mets fan who

As a life long Mets fan who makes do with the Yankees if necessary, I'm hoping for a Cubs win also. The good thing is both teams could use a win since it's been so long for both. But yes, I'll be watching and rooting for the Cubs.

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    CUBS!!!

As a native of SF, 3 World Series wins in 5 years after none in my lifetime, I love the idea of Chicago winning the WS.

the joy that this win brings to a city as well as the sweet memories of those who missed it but loved the team cannot be described. In my case, my dad would watch the Giants on a very small black and white screen TV and tell me that Willie Mayes was the BEST! Then, he took me to meet him (dad was a friend of the mayor). 

The bunting on the stadium, the parade, the bittersweet memories, the smiles everywhere you went, the city hall going Orange and Black... All of this I wish for the Cub fans.

As a native SF perso, losing to the Cavs after Lebron James' antics, I don't have warm and fuzzier for Cleveland and am not a fan of AL baseball 

love the topic as a time-out from cancer 

GO, CUBS!!!!

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    My son should be in Cincinnati

In a cross country jaunt.  Weather in our rural area cancelled the flight to SFO, a 2 hr. flight.  For a red-eye, he had to drive to Eugene, Or, - fly to Portland-LAX-to Newark, NJ and back to Cincinnati.  Only $100 for an SRO.  Just to watch his Cubbies play.

And yes, we're flying the blue W.  The logo flag got shredded in the last few rain/wind storms.

Six years ago, when rumors were traveling about this community regarding the possibility of us selling the business, the W was flying.  Someone asked if Weyerhauser had bought us out.  They hadn't even made an offer...but did about 2 months later.

Go Cubs....donna_lee

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    While my beloved Nats could not get the one extra hit needed...

Ok,  I can't say I am a lifelong Nats fan.  But, I have rooted for them since they showed up.  This is the Cubs year. 

And, FWIW, I had tickets to watch Bryce Harper's DC debut, but could not go...at 5 AM that day, the Abdominal CT scan showed a 5.5 cm tumor on my Right Kidney.  I was all banged up (from passing out and falling 4 feet to my face) and just did not feel like it.  

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Blue Jays

We were very sad when our beloved Blue Jays were defeated. However we had a fabulous season and look forward to an exciting season again next year!

Enjoy cheering for your favorite teams!!

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    At any rate, remember to duck...

At any rate, remember to duck: Beware of low-flying pigs (And I understand they've gotten a supply of mittens, wool hats, and puffy coats shipped into h*ll, 'cause it's frozen over). Enjoy the game!

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited October 2016 #9
    Could be worse

I'm a lifelong Twins fan.  The glory days of the late 80's are over for a while.  For now--I'll be rooting for the Cubs

Stub

• hardo718
    edited October 2016 #10
    Had a belly laugh last night

At the end of last nights game the camera focused on someone holding a sign that said "Goat Busters - We ain't afraid of no goats".

Love to laugh!

Donna~

• hardo718
    108, But worth the wait!!

In the words of the beloved Harry Caray, HOLY COW!!   What a game!

Not a fan of roller coasters, and that was one wild ride.  We all went from "OMG, we're going to win this thing", to "uh-oh, maybe we're not", to "wait, maybe, could be", to "YES!!!!"    :-)   That trophy is a beauty!  Crying tears of joy.

Donna~ 

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited November 2016 #12
    Although I am a Milwaukee

Although I am a Milwaukee Brewers, formerly, Milw Braves fan, I was rooting all the way for the Cubbies!

WHAT A series, but WHAT A GAME 7!!!!

I was also following many, many folks around the country on twitter. Many are journalists/reporters and celebrities who were just DYING inside with anxiety over last night's game, rain delay, tie and win!!

Like its said, "hell is frozen over".. the curse is broken!

Jan

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    It was

a lot of fun. Now it's time for UCONN basketball