New here

Nevin
Nevin Member Posts: 1

Hi all, just signed up for this site. I have locally advanced rectal cancer and had agressive chemo/rad at the same time which destroyed my body. Was supposed to have surgery within 4 months of treatment but didnt feel physically able to do this until 11 months later. They removed all my internal plumbing resulting in a permanent colostomy and urostomy. Now, after surgery , I was to have chemo within 3 months but it took longer than 3 months to recover from the surgery in which time 2 suspisious dense spots showed up on my liver and right lung. Tomorrow I get a port and Thursday I start chemo again. This whole ordeal has been both mentally and physically horrible and for my spouse she goes the a mental hell worrying and being scared and crying that I wouldnt wish on anyone. Can someone explain the port procedure and the 46 hour pump that I will be using and really is it worth it? Thank you.

Comments

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Sorry that you are going through this

I can't speak to the 46 hour pump but the port procedure is not very difficult. They do a quick surgery to place the port under the skin of your chest. The port is connected to your aorta so that the chemo is directly sent through your circulation system. 

I had the same rectal surgery but not the other. I have a permanent colostomy and I'll be honest some days it's not too bad and other days, I hate it.

I'm halfway through my chemo. I keep getting delayed because of low white cell counts so it seems to be taking a very long time. But one day at a time.

I wish you the best in your treatment. 

Kazenmax

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    The Port

The port is a HUGE blessing. If you're going to have chemo, you are going to LOVE your port. 

When you go in for your treatment, they will access your port. This is a sterile procedure, so they should be set up with a sterile tray. 

Ask beofre hand (if you can) for a perscription for Lidocaine Gel. If you apply a little to your port area about 20 mintues before access, it helps to numb up the skin. They can also use a local spray, which will do the same. 

If you plan on watching, don't be shocked at the size of needle. It is huge. BUT, if your port is placed just right, you won't even feel it going in. Well, I certainly didn't, though I know of others who may have felt a little discomfort. 

The needle stays in while the chemo is being administered. I'm sure you know that. 

For the pump, I had to go to a seperate facility to start with, to have that accessed (because I live 160 miles from where I got the chemo). I found it helped to stick the tube between the breasts with a bit of adhesive tape, and then another a bit lower on my abdoman; as I had a habbit of getting up with the fanny pack beside me and forgetting it was there. It would pull on the tube where it was taped, and remind me. You DO NOT want to dislodge the needle in your port. Very bad consiquences if you do that. 

I hated the fanny pack when I had it for 46 hours, but when I had to wear it 24/7 over a six week period, I didn't mind it at all (well, I'd rather not have had to do it, but I did). It became a part of me. 

Sleeping with your pump.  You do what feels best for you. In my case, I liked to keep mine by the side of my bed. I know others liked to continue to wear theirs.  To stop myself rolling over, and thus twisting the tubing, I placed body pillows each side of me so that I stayed on my back. 

Is it worth it?  Well, it seems like it worked for me, as today, I celebrate two years six months NED. I did have one tumour show up in my liver, which I got taken care of, but the chemo and radiation seemed to do the trick as far as my bowel cancer; at least so far. 

I wish you luck as you make your decision. Only you can really know if its worth it.  I am stage IV and alive and healthy if thats any kind of testimony. 

We here on the foum, look forward to helping you as you go forward. 

SUE

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Agree with Sue but I had a

Agree with Sue but I had a slightly different experience. The port placement was done under a local and wasn't bad at all. I hated having it, though. Mine wasn't placed well and was sitting on top of bone and I hurt it often. Getting a hug from people- which happens a lot when you're fighting cancer- made me cringe. I found that the topical anesthetic didn't work for me at all and it hurt to get the needle put in. It's a quick jab but was like having someone put a cigarette out on my skin. Make sure they wait after they use the cleaning agent on the area to let it dry before they jab you or it goes in with the needle and can burn for several minutes.

Carrying aroud what they called the baby bottle was annoying but not the end of the world. It was about the size of a small bottle of pop and weighs as much the first day and gradually weighs less as it empties. I also used to forget about it and would do things like yank on it because I'd go to the bathroom and forget to be careful with it. Mine hung on a belt around my waist. It was winter so it hid well under my winter jacket when I was outside. When I slept I just moved it from side to side as I turned over. The worst part was not being allowed to have our dog sleep with me in case he chewed on the line as it's very poisonous. It's unsettling to know that the stuff they're pumping into you is so poisonous that you have a special spill kit to take home in case of a leak. And you have to make sure you always put the lid down on the toilet if you have dogs that drink out of it because just the residue is so toxic. 

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Jan

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Port and chemo bolus

I bought a numbing cream - emla, that I put on before chemo - bought a very, very small tube $14. Next size was $64. You will only need a little. Also chemo tech has put ice pack on for 10 min or so to numb area just before insertion - I have not felt much when inserted.  The chemo bolus can be put in a pouch around waist - have to watch tubes - wear a t-shirt to keep tubes from hooking on something and pulling, or tape to your skin. Sending you best wishes.

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    medical port

Hi there - If you have to do chemo, the port is wonderful!  No only is it easier for access, it is better for your veins.  They will place the port under your skin on your chest wall.  A very small tube goes from the port under the skin to your carotid artery where it is inserted and then it travels to your aorta.  The walls of the aorta are thicker and it's much bigger than veins in your arm so that's in part why it can handle the chemo better, at least that's what I was told.  Once the incision from the port is healed you can shower and swim normally, but not when getting chemo.  If you had a PICC line (similar but the tubing goes from mid-arm to your aorta and looks like an IV on your arm) you have to be careful all the time when showering or swimming because it can't get wet. My MIL had chemo and they didn't put in a port and her veins got really thin and she constantly had problems, but she had lung cancer and different drugs. It never really hurt me to have the needle inserted, other than sometimes they would press hard.  The needle is odd in that it is bent at almost 90 degrees.  I never tried numbing cream or ice. The needle has plastic wings, that they pinch together to remove the needle.  Good luck, Traci

One thing, the dissolvable stitches didn't dissolve right away and the scar didn't smooth out until I stopped chemo.  I think my body had more important things to deal with than a silly little port incision.

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited October 2016 #7
    Chemo

I had a chemo pump giving 1 1/4 ml/Hr 24/7 for the five weeks a was gettong radiation prior to the resection.  See my file for complications, however NED last 6 years.  Good luck to you!!!

• ellend
    ellend Member Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2016 #8
    Port and bolus

I have a port installed and I much prefer them accessing the port to do the infusions than getting an IV every time. I forgot to numb the skin the last time, but it wasn't any worse than getting a shot and even with the 46 hour pump it is less annoying than an IV, especially when they put the IV in the back of my hand. Occasionally, the port will bother me, but mostly I don't notice.

I wear the pump on my left side and run the tubes under my clothes, since the port is on my left side. I'm able to sleep with it on my body since I mainly sleep on my back.

Don't know whether it is worth it. I get a scan in two weeks, so we shall see if the chemo did its job. Good luck!