Mother just diagnosed stage 4

Rachbrum
Rachbrum Member Posts: 2

My Mom just got diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer . Looking online, I don't see many great statistics for stage 4. She is only 53. I am 27. I guess I am just looking to hear from stage 4 survivors. Looking for some hope. 

Comments

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    edited October 2016 #2
    Stage IV survivor NED and thriving

Rachbrum,
    I am a survivor of Stage 3b, Grade 3 endometrial cancer, that metastasized to Stage 4 two months after my
    hysterectomy, before any treatment.  You can read my entire story by searching "NED from Stage IV metastatic
    endometrial cancer" on the uterine cancer board.  I had metastases all over my body and they all vanished.
    I was NED within 7 months of my metastatic diagnosis.

I am cancer free two years from my diagnosis and am healthier than I have even been.  You can survive Stage 4
    cancer- but there is alot of work to do. You have to believe you will live.

Takingcontrol58

• tealnpink
    tealnpink Member Posts: 30 Member
    Keep hope

I was 3C ovarian and 2b breast in 2010. After 4 different Chemo drugs did nothing but let my cancer spread I was stage 4 ovarian in 2012. I then entered a clinical trial at mdanderson. It took about a year before my tumors to start srinking. I was in the trial for 2 1/2 years. It was made clear to me that I was in the trial to prolong my life with good quality but not to cure me. It worked. I'm NED. NED means that there is no evidence of disease based on the scan used. Example you may be Ned on a cat scan but not Ned on a mri.  You my be Ned on a mri but not Ned on a pet scan. In my case maybe due to my mutations, I do not know, I'm told I am Ned based on a pet scan but I still have cancer it is just to small to be picked up by the scan. I have to have infusion's of my clinical trial drug every 21 days for the rest of my life or until it stops working. I get a pet scan done every 3 months to see if it has stopped working. Don't give up.

• caretothepeople
    caretothepeople Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2016 #4
    The news can come as a big

The news can come as a big shock and it's normal to go through a roller coaster of different emotions. It sounds like you care a lot about your Mom. Support is so huge when going through treatment so she's lucky to have you by her side.

The diagnosis and journey can take it's toll on everyone, so tending to your own emotionall well-being is important too. If you have a local chapter of the American Cancer Society near you, maybe see about what resources they offer in your community. Ask the local hospital or center where your Mom is getting treatment about support groups for her and caregivers as well. The National Ovarian Cancer Coalition may be another resource to look at.

Hang in there dear.

• MELE73
    MELE73 Member Posts: 2
    STAGE 4 OVARIAN CANCER ALSO

I was diagnosed with stage 4 in 2015 and had a ca125 of 59780 afer 40 treatments and an extensive surgery  I work everyday and my count now is between 40 and 50   I'm in a year old maintenance program- one treatment a month Taxel followed by a bone marrow shot  Neulasta    I feel good   have a good appetite  and will probably be in maintenance program forever  but I've come a long ways from last year    I had 4 large malignant masses they removed       I also had  7 liters of fluid in my left lung that was all cancer cell from a weeping ovary       Hang in there    stay busy and be on every prayer lists out there   there are miracles

• Jodisgoing180
    Jodisgoing180 Member Posts: 97
    Stage IV Survivor

I'm also a stage IV survivor.  I have what is considered chronic disease.  I'm in my first recurrence.  I am on Doxil, and am doing quite well.  My frontline treatment was not effective, and I never reached remission.  The doxil however I have shown significant improvements.  I had mets on my liver, lung, near my rectum, and in my abdomen.  My lung mets were cleared up after one treatment.  And the doctor could not feel my adbomen mets :)...  My CA-125 fell significantly after one treatment.