I think something is wrong

Tonita
Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
edited October 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I guess once you are told that you have cancer, you can never feel "safe" again.  At least that's the way I look at it. 

At my last follow-up (7 months post surgery for tongue tumor removal) I pointed out something I felt on the roof of my mouth.  It's kind of a rough patch.  That's when he made the comment about smoking that really turned me off to him.  Anyway, he said return in two months to see if there are any changes to that patch.

Since then, I have an area of pain on the opposite side of my tongue.  Cancer was on the right, this is on the left and more to the front.  It's painful.  I don't really see any discoloration but this pain really reminds me of the pain I had with the tumor.  This is really having me worried. 

I guess I have to make an appointment because I don't want to wait until December to have this looked at.  I'm pretty nervous.

Words of encouragement please.  :(

Comments

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    edited October 2016 #2
    Yes, make the appointment.

Yes, make the appointment. But remember it isn't cancer until the doc says it is. I hope it is nothing. My husband had a scare too, and it turned out to be dead tissue. But always best to get checked. Sending good thoughts!

• Sandraw
    Sandraw Member Posts: 40
    Hi

I didn't have tongue but rather NPC. But my tongue got radiation burns because I have a gold cap, it's still sensitive at times. Seems to help if I eat yogurt everyday, like maybe the good bacteria helps to heal whatever tenderness is still there. I wish you the best, hopefully just a weird leftover side effect we seem to get with our treatment. 

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    edited October 2016 #4
    Yes....make an appointment....

and get yourself some relief from the anxiety.  Keep in mind that tho they radiated the right side of your tongue, your whole mouth took a beating.  Nerve pain isn't unusual at all (I had NPC...they radiated big time behind my nose....however when I get really cold, my tongue aches like there is no tomorrow).  It takes a while to get past the hyper-vigilence....the kind that sends a person into orbit with anxiety.  Getting in to see the Dr. will ease that.

p

• Tonita
    I didn't have any follow up

I didn't have any follow up treatment.  The tumor was removed along with 42 lymph nodes on my right side.  I guess they felt pretty confident that they got everything. 

• Sandraw
    edited October 2016 #6
    I'm sorry

I didn't realize you hadn't had radiation. Well if I had something bothering me I'd be calling my oncologist and or ent for a faster appointment. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers . <3

• Tonita
    edited October 2016 #7
    I have an appt for the 27th. 

I have an appt for the 27th.  If anything earlier comes up they will notify me.  Today I notice a "sore" beginning in the painful spot.  I'm nervous

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited October 2016 #8

Pardon me but what the hell?!?!

Anytime Jim so much as has simple that looks different, someone is ready to biopsy it.

Geez Louise, cancer doctors are all over the place on protocol.

Tonita, I am glad you made the appointment. Waiting to hear it is nothing to worry about.

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    edited October 2016 #9
    Where did you have your

Where did you have your surgery?  I am surprised that doc (I had other words to describe him, but I will refrain!) would say to wait that long!  Find another doctor if you're worried.   Best of luck.

• Tonita
    edited October 2016 #10
    LiseA said:

Where did you have your

Where did you have your surgery?  I am surprised that doc (I had other words to describe him, but I will refrain!) would say to wait that long!  Find another doctor if you're worried.   Best of luck.

I had my surgery at Smilow

I had my surgery at Smilow Cancer Center (Yale, New Haven CT.) and I loved the surgeon I had.  I moved to New Hampshire and am now going to Dartmouth Medical Center.

After my last visit with him, I was ready to ask for someone else but then this sore started and I had to get in right away.

I swear this doctor put a hex on me with his negativity.  His attiture is so dismissive because I was a smoker.  As if he shouldn't put in the same effort he would with someone who never smoked.  I feel so self conscious going to him now.

After he looked at the rough patch on the roof of my mouth, that's when he said "you know, you'll always be at risk for oral and throat cancer".  I hope he takes this sore on my tongue more seriously. 

I'm a mess over this!

• Sandraw
    Hi Tonita,

Just thinking of ya, sending positive thoughts. Hope you got good news. Will be praying for you. 

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    edited November 2016 #12
    Great news, Tonita!

Great news, Tonita!

• Sandraw
    Yay!

That's great news!  I had a sharp point on a molar I had to have ground down, was rubbing my tongue when I was able to eat again, took the Dentist about 3 minutes. Yea, I think our Doctors forget sometimes what we are already going through before speaking.

• Tonita
    edited November 2016 #14
    Sandraw said:

Hi Tonita,

Just thinking of ya, sending positive thoughts. Hope you got good news. Will be praying for you. 

Hi Sandraw and thanks.  Yes,

Hi Sandraw and thanks.  Yes, good news.  Not a tumor growing there.  Could be a sore from a tooth rubbing.   It's hard to tell for me because I have so much numbness still.  I have a dental appt next week to see if there are any sharp edges on my teeth.

The Dr.'s attitude was very different this time which helped.  I don't need the judgements, ya know?

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    Tonita said:

Hi Sandraw and thanks.  Yes,

Hi Sandraw and thanks.  Yes, good news.  Not a tumor growing there.  Could be a sore from a tooth rubbing.   It's hard to tell for me because I have so much numbness still.  I have a dental appt next week to see if there are any sharp edges on my teeth.

The Dr.'s attitude was very different this time which helped.  I don't need the judgements, ya know?

Great news!  

Great news!  

• Josephwc
    Josephwc Member Posts: 69
    Nice read good news

I didn't smoke and my tumor wasn't hpv . I worry and I think it's natural it's lol a part of the healing process. We were traumatized and the pain will stay with us for life. Keep us posted and keep healing. Good news is always welcome

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Wonderful!!

What a relief, huh?  A little grind of a tooth or two, and you can get back to getting back to life. :)

p

• Tonita

Wonderful!!

What a relief, huh?  A little grind of a tooth or two, and you can get back to getting back to life. :)

p

Yes.  But, I still have the

Yes.  But, I still have the tongue itself to contend with.  That will be something I'll deal with unless I have the surgery to change it. 

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Tonita

Glad to hear the good news

Tim