Nausea med

Bellen
Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member

Hello All - I currently have a nausea pill that I can take every 6 hrs as needed. When I had chemo, I was given an anti-nausea med before, then had a pill to take in the am and pm for 2 days afterwards, plus this other nausea pill that I can take every 6 hrs as needed. It is called Metoclopramide Hcl 10mg.  On the med info sheet there is a warning that says it could cause a condition where there is uncontrolled movement and there is no cure for this disorder.  Wondering if others were prescribed this med or what med you use for nausea that occurs in between treatment. Thank you all again.  Best to everyone.  Bellen

Comments

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Hi Bellen,

Hi Bellen,

Zofran seems to work the best for me for anti nausea. Ativan is a good med to have as well, since it seems to work faster than Zofran. But one Ativan dose is like a sleeping pill- knocks me right out. So I use Zofran more.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I didn't have nausea, I have

I didn't have nausea, I have no idea, I'm sorry. Ativan for nausea? I've never heard of that. We use it for anxious patients in dental offices here. Interesting.

Jan

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member

That's another name for the drug Metoclopramide Hcl.  My father was prescribed this for acid reflux and has the shakes similar to Parkinson's.  Also, my vet prescribed it for my cat who became psycho kitty.  Seriously, he would attack anyone and anything.  He stood on the comforter and bit and bit it until he made a hole in it.  Personally I would never use it.  

When on chemo I was give Zofran and then Compazine for breakthrough nausea.  Sometimes I had to use the compazine, sometimes not.  Zofran was my friend when on chemo.  It really helped keep the nausea at bay.

good luck, Traci

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited October 2016 #5
    Prochlorperazine and Promethazine

Were the two drugs prescribed for me when I began chemotherapy, but I've never needed to take them, thank goodness. The anti-nausea drugs  I receive  prior to every chemo infusion do the job and I've never felt nausea. The anti-nausea injections I get are: dexamethasone sodium phosphate,  Fosaprepitant, and palonosetron. Palonosetron (Aloxi) is a serotonin antagonist for preventing both acute and delayed nausea and vomiting; it's said to work for days after the injection, which may  be the reason I've never  needed to take the prescription drugs.

Jan, From what I understand, Ativan doesn't stop nausea and vomiting, but helps relieve the anxiety that people can feel when they believe they’re about to experience vasea and vomiting.

Best wishes for your treatment, Bellen.

Grace/lizard44

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Easy (for me at least)

Smoke Pot!

It's not legal in all states but I have had success with that and not with Emend. It gets rid of nausea and increases appetite

• nateswife
    edited October 2016 #7
    traci43 said:

That's another name for the drug Metoclopramide Hcl.  My father was prescribed this for acid reflux and has the shakes similar to Parkinson's.  Also, my vet prescribed it for my cat who became psycho kitty.  Seriously, he would attack anyone and anything.  He stood on the comforter and bit and bit it until he made a hole in it.  Personally I would never use it.  

When on chemo I was give Zofran and then Compazine for breakthrough nausea.  Sometimes I had to use the compazine, sometimes not.  Zofran was my friend when on chemo.  It really helped keep the nausea at bay.

good luck, Traci

Psycho kitty :) Funny.  Yeah,

Psycho kitty :) Funny.  Yeah, I think that Zofran is safer. When I read the side effects and recommended use and all that for Ativan I was really surprised. I think it came up as an "anti-psychotic" on a Google search. 

• nateswife
    edited October 2016 #8
    PhillieG said:

Easy (for me at least)

Smoke Pot!

It's not legal in all states but I have had success with that and not with Emend. It gets rid of nausea and increases appetite

Definitely! 

Definitely! 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited October 2016 #9
    There Is A Drug On Infusion

Cannot remember the name. When given during infusion it helped.  Never need the stuff after, though did not eat a ton for a few days.  Ginger Snaps worked great.

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2016 #10
    Nausea Med

Hi all - I mentioned the warning I read on the drug pamphlet - pharmacist at Cancer Clinic said all the nausea meds can cause this.  Wonder if this is so.  Also she said I would not be taking it on an ongoing basis - to watch for hand shaking or rigid hand.  Just don't like to see this warning.  So even though had some nausea during day didn't take it. Some of you mentioned zofran, which when I looked online is ondansetron - they gave me this to take night of chemo, next am and pm - so three pills, and the other one that I posted about for breakthrough nausea - to take every 6 hrs as needed.  Also I wonder if ginger tea would be effective - ginger snaps was mentioned. Thank you for your suggestions.