Lung Mets Question

Options
JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

Okay, so I get it that the lung mets are still colon cancer that's in my lung now. I should have asked this of the onc when I was there but I didn't think about it at the time so I'm hoping you guys can tell me. I'm going to give it the best shot I can to not let them get bigger and try to keep myself healthy and with as little stress as possible. But what about being around things that might irritate my lungs? I'm thinking riding my horse inside and it's dusty, paint or cleaner fumes, thnags like that. Could they make a difference? Do I need to make sure I have face masks for everyhting I do now? I have a thing I can put over my face while rding, it's almost like the western bad guy neckerchiefs. And I have access to medical face masks because I work in a dental office. I can order boxes of them and pay my boss back for them. But I wonder if these things are necessary.

Thanks!

Jan

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited October 2016 #2
    Options
    Do it!

I say you do what makes you feel better. Someone might say, 'Nah, waste of time', while your gut says 'I want to do it'. Sure, it might be a waste of time, but if it makes you feel like you are doing something to combat what is growing, then do it. 

My Rad Onc, a VERY intellegent man, gave me a half hour lecture on why GMO's are safe. My gut tells me to stay away from GMO's. I stay away from GMO's. One day, in the future, they may prove that its all safe, but it feels right for me to follow my gut instinc, regardless. 

HUGS! 

• vtspa6
    vtspa6 Member Posts: 172
    Options
    It is difficult to try and

It is difficult to try and explain to people that Tim's mets in his lungs are not lung cancer but colon cancer.  A lot of folks don't understand this.  He normally will do things the same if his body will allow him but I remember last winter he was using the snow blower during a snow storm and he was sick for weeks afterward.  He won't do that again! 

• JanJan63
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Do it!

I say you do what makes you feel better. Someone might say, 'Nah, waste of time', while your gut says 'I want to do it'. Sure, it might be a waste of time, but if it makes you feel like you are doing something to combat what is growing, then do it. 

My Rad Onc, a VERY intellegent man, gave me a half hour lecture on why GMO's are safe. My gut tells me to stay away from GMO's. I stay away from GMO's. One day, in the future, they may prove that its all safe, but it feels right for me to follow my gut instinc, regardless. 

HUGS! 

Thank you! To be honest, I

Thank you! To be honest, I hadn't thought about it at all but a friend of mine mentioned it the other day. I've been trying to figure out a way to start a small contracting business with my husband but if I have to stay away from things like fumes and drywall dust that's not going to happen. The plan was for me to help him. He'd be the main guy and I'd do fiddly stuff he doesn't enjoy. He retired a few weeks ago and used to build houses and does great woodworking and can fix lots of things. I know there's a need for contractors that will do small jobs. Most of them want the big ones. And I know there are real estate agents that would be glad to have someone that can come in and do a few cosmetic things and make a house more presentable.

I'm embarassed and upset by how much time I miss from work and this would allow me to take time off if I need to without causing someone else to have to do my job when I'm not there. When I mentioned it to my friend she brought up the concern about fumes and dust in my lungs. Now I'm concerned.

Jan

• dancer2
    dancer2 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    I still think about the nodes

I still think about the nodes in my lungs......i only had one in each lobe ( to small to diagnose theys said and have never been told one way or the other since)...having said that, I did ask my oncologist about the seven new ones ( again just in the 1-3mm range) that showed up after first onco let me go another 2 months w/o treatment...only when ( being redundant here) i asked the interventionalist rad to go over his scan after rfa on the only small liver metastasis which he said was a success and his scan showd nothing new anywhere...a month later had a ct/pt scan and again the old onco just said the moist ridiculouse statement ( he could not give me any more chemo because he didn't know if the new lesions were from the colon or the melanoma.) t hat's when i went and got a new onco.........i did ask her two weeks ago about the lungs, and i have forgotten her exact words but basically 'let's wait to see what happens with the chemo this time'...from all the reading i have done, when they are below a cm, they basically just watch them...as they could just go away, be an infection from a cold, flu, brocho, fungal, viral etc) like you Jan, tho I have not a horse or any animal I do a lot of gardening, the hard kind, blowing, raking , bagging pine needles....digging out old worn out no longer wanted huge shrubs and small trees etc, and i also have breathed in enough dirt and God only knows what else in  many years and still do it when i get the energy.....I normally just put on a bandana and go about it...........so just keep doing what you love til they say NO.....even then i would probably still do what i need to do..........since i am writing, i wanted to ask all of  you about the steroid they automatically seem to give us along with the ativan and first bag of chemo ( my case it is avastin) don't like steroids and have gained five pounds and don't like that as i am eating as much as i always have and it's all around the belly button...........so i am going to ask not have it..........unless she absolutely demands i take it....if i feel the difference then i'll go back.....so my question is "have any of you told the doc you do not want the steroid unless it is absolutely necessary ?"......

• JanJan63
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. When

Thanks for the replies. When I finally get the energy to do something again I'll be careful with my lungs and use something to cover my nose and mouth. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Jan

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2016 #7
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

Thank you! To be honest, I

Thank you! To be honest, I hadn't thought about it at all but a friend of mine mentioned it the other day. I've been trying to figure out a way to start a small contracting business with my husband but if I have to stay away from things like fumes and drywall dust that's not going to happen. The plan was for me to help him. He'd be the main guy and I'd do fiddly stuff he doesn't enjoy. He retired a few weeks ago and used to build houses and does great woodworking and can fix lots of things. I know there's a need for contractors that will do small jobs. Most of them want the big ones. And I know there are real estate agents that would be glad to have someone that can come in and do a few cosmetic things and make a house more presentable.

I'm embarassed and upset by how much time I miss from work and this would allow me to take time off if I need to without causing someone else to have to do my job when I'm not there. When I mentioned it to my friend she brought up the concern about fumes and dust in my lungs. Now I'm concerned.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Hi Jan,

I get what you wrote about being embarassed and upset about missing work. Sometimes I feel like such a slacker Because my husband works a lot and I'm not helping out (financially, anyhow). Someone reminded me though, that my job right now is to get well (and I would add, to live well!). It makes total sense. By necessity, health is my number 1 priority right now. Working less or not at all may be what you need to do to take care of yourself. I believe that stress / anxiety is a big factor in wellness. 

I hope that you are able to find the work/ rest balance that you need. 

Best,

Amy

• JanJan63
    edited October 2016 #8
    Options
    nateswife said:

Hi Jan,

Hi Jan,

I get what you wrote about being embarassed and upset about missing work. Sometimes I feel like such a slacker Because my husband works a lot and I'm not helping out (financially, anyhow). Someone reminded me though, that my job right now is to get well (and I would add, to live well!). It makes total sense. By necessity, health is my number 1 priority right now. Working less or not at all may be what you need to do to take care of yourself. I believe that stress / anxiety is a big factor in wellness. 

I hope that you are able to find the work/ rest balance that you need. 

Best,

Amy

Thank you. I'm not

Thank you. I'm not contributing much because I'm trying to pay back things that fell by the wayside while I was sick. I never expected it to be for so long. I was unable to work for over a year. And had no income because I'd had my own business so wasn't eligible for unemployment insuranec or medical or anything like that. My husband says what you say, my job is to get well, but I still feel bad. I don't want to stop working unless I really have to.

Jan

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks for the replies. When

Thanks for the replies. When I finally get the energy to do something again I'll be careful with my lungs and use something to cover my nose and mouth. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Jan

They Took Out Part of My Lung

Less than a month ago and was walking 3 miles within 4 days.  Simply because I am being a stuborn ##&*&%&$.  Had  warning before the surgery, about 3 weeks or so, and walked as much as possible.  Walked within five hours after a 10cM wedge was removed.  You have a beautiful horse.  You are so d-mn strong with what you have gone through and makes me feel like I am a wimp and have gone through nothing.  

Say #&#*&# it for a second and just do what you want.  Not to be reckless, not to ignore, but just to allow yourself to enjoy the part you so much deserve with the fight you have done.  I would sleep for 3 hours extra  to go to a ballgame because my bloodwork was good.   And I walked around the stadium and talked to many people.  There is time for concern and caution.  But for all the time of concern and caution, we need the moments to just enjoy.

!0 Minutes, 15 minutes of normal went a long way for me and still does. And your horse is beautiful.  Ride or hang and relate.  Put the concerns to the side for 10 minutes now and again and just enjoy the moments.  Not as "this is the last" but as "in the moment."  It is what you (we all) are.  I know for me that overthinking what I am (we are) going though is not good for me.  So I am projecting :)  With love and knowing how strong you are from evertthing you have discussed :)

• Trubrit
    Options
    NewHere said:

Less than a month ago and was walking 3 miles within 4 days.  Simply because I am being a stuborn ##&*&%&$.  Had  warning before the surgery, about 3 weeks or so, and walked as much as possible.  Walked within five hours after a 10cM wedge was removed.  You have a beautiful horse.  You are so d-mn strong with what you have gone through and makes me feel like I am a wimp and have gone through nothing.  

Say #&#*&# it for a second and just do what you want.  Not to be reckless, not to ignore, but just to allow yourself to enjoy the part you so much deserve with the fight you have done.  I would sleep for 3 hours extra  to go to a ballgame because my bloodwork was good.   And I walked around the stadium and talked to many people.  There is time for concern and caution.  But for all the time of concern and caution, we need the moments to just enjoy.

!0 Minutes, 15 minutes of normal went a long way for me and still does. And your horse is beautiful.  Ride or hang and relate.  Put the concerns to the side for 10 minutes now and again and just enjoy the moments.  Not as "this is the last" but as "in the moment."  It is what you (we all) are.  I know for me that overthinking what I am (we are) going though is not good for me.  So I am projecting :)  With love and knowing how strong you are from evertthing you have discussed :)

Hope you are doing well, NewHere

I sent a message via contacts, but never sure anymore if they are sent or not.  Anyway, have been thinking of you. 

SUE

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Hope you are doing well, NewHere

I sent a message via contacts, but never sure anymore if they are sent or not.  Anyway, have been thinking of you. 

SUE

Got It

Thought I replied, but will double check.  Hanging in there, though it is weird a bit of a slight dip the last 5-7 days.  Nothing bad at all considering.  But I am going 3-4 every other day and 2 between.  Got lazy though for about 5 days :)  Better making sure I keep it up.  Was funny, kicked the inertia the other day for a walk around block.  Turned into 1.5 mies which was nothing.  A bit of music and just walking....

• Trubrit
    Options
    NewHere said:

Got It

Thought I replied, but will double check.  Hanging in there, though it is weird a bit of a slight dip the last 5-7 days.  Nothing bad at all considering.  But I am going 3-4 every other day and 2 between.  Got lazy though for about 5 days :)  Better making sure I keep it up.  Was funny, kicked the inertia the other day for a walk around block.  Turned into 1.5 mies which was nothing.  A bit of music and just walking....

Good to hear

Never ceases to suprise me how a simple walk can benefit the body so much.  

SUE

• JanJan63
    edited October 2016 #13
    Options
    NewHere said:

Thank you for your comment on

Thank you for your comment on my horse! He's my love, I've had him for fifteen years. He's the best boy around and totally takes care of me when we ride. Which I'm hoping to tomorrow! I haven't even seen him in three weeks due to being sick and then just not being able to get out there. There are friendly chickens, baby goats, mini donkeys and tiny ponies where we board our horses- my daughter also has a horse- and its so uplifting to just be out there.

The picture is old, before cancer. I might update it just because I feel like having a recent picture in which I look healthy would make me feel better and remind me that I'm doing okay right now.

Jan