Liver Transplant

Options
tealnpink
tealnpink Member Posts: 30 Member
edited October 2016 in Liver Cancer #1

Hi. My husband has HCC. Fatty liver led to cirrhosis, which led to HCC.   He takes sorafenib and lactulose.  He has had 2 TACE treatments and will have another TACE later this month.  Fluid had to be drained before each TACE.  He has been on a liver transplant list for 11 months. Is anyone else on a list? If so, how long have you been waiting?  Has anyone already had a transplant? If so, how long did you wait and how are you doing?

Comments

• Cris_617
    Cris_617 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi

Hi, I'm glad to hear your hubby is on the transplant list! How blessed he is!!

My hubby has HCC as well. He has had 3 TACE treatments, with another scheduled for next month. He has also has a targeted radiation treatment. But as of right now, they say he isn't a candidate for the list. It all seems very unfair. This very small window that people have to get on the list. It's hard to understand. Just what are the requirements?? I'd appreciate any info you could share.

I hope, and will pray that everything works out for our hubbies!

• tealnpink
    Options
    Cris_617 said:

Hi

Hi, I'm glad to hear your hubby is on the transplant list! How blessed he is!!

My hubby has HCC as well. He has had 3 TACE treatments, with another scheduled for next month. He has also has a targeted radiation treatment. But as of right now, they say he isn't a candidate for the list. It all seems very unfair. This very small window that people have to get on the list. It's hard to understand. Just what are the requirements?? I'd appreciate any info you could share.

I hope, and will pray that everything works out for our hubbies!

Hi,

Hi,

I'm sorry you were told your husband is not a candidate for transplant. We were told that by our local doctor in Mississippi also. We were told because my husband has heart disease, was overweight, a diabetic,  and was a smoker he would not qualify. When I was told he had HCC I made him an appointment at MDAnderson. I have been treated for several years at MDAnderson in Texas for my cancers (ovarian and breast) so I wanted him to get the same care I was getting.  The doctor at MDAnderson felt he needed a transplant but he had to stop smoking. He quit. Three months later he was evaluated by Baylor st.  Luke's  in Houston for a transplant. Test including scans, X-ray, blood work, lung, heart, and size and number of tumors matter. You have to be able to get to the hospital within 3 hours if you get a transplant call and be able to stay in the area of the hospital for 3 weeks after transplant. You also have to have a backup caregiver. Although my husband has had triple bypass surgery, his heart passed the cardiovascular tests. What I did learn is only a liver transplant team can tell you if you qualify or not. Hope I helped.

• Cris_617
    Options
    Thank you

So then it sounds like I should not give up hope? Do you think I should contact the transplant hospital directly? My hubby is diabetic and overweight. He is actively trying to quit smoking.

• tealnpink
    Options
    I don't like giving up.

I feel one should do everything possible to extend life and maintain a good quality of life. We contacted Baylor directly without a referral. You husband will have to stop smoking first. Being a diabetic does not matter. Everyone that gets a transplant will be a diabetic after transplant. My husband is 5'7" and his current weight is 228. I know he will lose some of that when he is drained next week. The transplant team wants him to weigh 190 to 210. Even though he is a little over their desired weight he still qualifies. Only the transplant team can tell you what your husband's maximum weight should be. I do not know the transplant hospital for your region. I made my husband an appointment and sent them the biopsy report and scan reports and cd before his appointment.

Hope your husband will stop smoking but it is his choice. You see after transplant you are given drugs that lowers the immune system. To prevent lung infection and death you can't smoke, do gardening, be around a bird, and alot of other things.

Keep in touch.

• Cris_617
    Options
    Hi, how is your hubby doing?

I haven't been online in a while. I was wondering how your hubby is doing? I hope and pray he is doing well.

Please let me know when you have a chance.