opdivo nivolumab - FDA approved for Anal cancer?

Options
MartSwil
MartSwil Member Posts: 12

Hello,

I was diagnosed with inoperable anal cancer in May 2015.  The tumor is in my left pelvis wall and deep muscle tissue and on bladder wall blocking my left ureterer requiring me to have a sent for the rest of my life.  

This actually started in 2011 when it was diagnosed as In Situ and only required surgery.  Five months later, the cancer either came back or it was not all resected at the time of my surgery.  I then went through more surgery and concurrent radiation and Cisplatin and 5FU.  I found the clinical trial being offered at MD Anderson for Nivolumab and traveled there hoping to get into the trial.  Unfortunately, after meeting with Dr. Eng, she told me the trial was full and I did not meet the criteria because she considered my tumor as localized and not metastatic.  I returned from MD Anderson and had sterotactic radiation hoping to shrink the tumor enough to have the tumor surgically removed.  The radiation was unsuccessful in shrinking the tumor and in fact it got larger.  I was in two other trials and the last trial targeted at a mutation in my tumor was also unsucccesful.  It remained stable from May until October and now the latest CT scan shows the disease has worsen.  

I'm meeting with my oncologist tomorrow morning and I heard one of the PA's say that she believes that the FDA has now approved Opdivo for Anal Cancer.  So hopefully, I will be able to get this drug and it will not bankrupt my family.  Has anyone here heard that the FDA has approved the drug for anal cancer now?  Were you on the original trial at MD Anderson?   

Also, I've been reading about a company called Advaxis and they now have a clinical trial available for their drug, AXAL for anal cancer.  

I am at the end of my rope.  Surgery is out of the question because of the location of the tumor.  We have managed to keep the tumor stable until recently. Needless to say, I'm very depressed and exhausted.  

I don't know what to do any more.  Any input about either drug would help me out.  

Thank you.

Angela 

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Angela

I am sorry to hear of your current situation.  I'm afraid that I have no info on FDA approval of Opdivo or the clinical trial for AXAL.  If I run across anything, I will certainly pass it on to you.  I send you my best wishes and thoughts and prayers.

Martha