Misdiagnosed by VA

clouse
clouse Member Posts: 12

In March 2016 I started to notice changes in my bowl movements. Mainly constipation. Within a month my stool had become very thin andstarted passing clear mucas. I went to my VA primary. She felt my stomach and gave me laxatives, suppositories and med for IBS. They did not help. I went back to my primary requesting an appt with the gastrointestinal Dr. Could not get appt till over a month since they only had one on hand. I went to the veterans advocate with my complaints. No help. As time went by I just got sicker, the anal canal fully blocked causing me to throw up stool. The cancer was found when I was rushed to the ER. At which time was put on a colostomy bag. I am a 12 yr breast cancer surviver (the 2 are not related) and already have an wonderful Onc. Start chemo this week. I knew something was wrong and should have keep going up the chain of command. To anyone reading this don't give up until you get some answers. For anyone fighting the fight, stay strong and take it one day at a time.

Love and light

Shelley

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Shelley

I'm sorry for your diagnosis.  I can totally relate to being misdiagnosed initially--that's how my journey began.  So many peoples' stories are similar, sadly.  I'm glad you have a very good doctor.  Are you also getting radiation, which is usually done concurrently with the chemo?  I'm glad you finally got an accurate diagnosis and I wish you all the best as you begin this treatment.  So many of us have been there, done that, but we are still here (me, 8 years later!).  You will join the ranks of the survivors!  Take care.

Martha

• clouse
    clouse Member Posts: 12
    Martha

Martha

Thanks for the encouragement. Went thru 18 weeks chemo and 6 weeks radiation for breast cancer in 2004. Not my first rodeo but definetly different with the colostomy bag, get chemo pump tomorrow. God bless everyone fighting the fight.

Love and light

Shelley

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited October 2016 #4
    Shelley

You can do this!  We are here to support you, so come here whenever you need some encouragement or a hug!