Welcome "ElleGonzalez" ~What questions do U need answers for?

Options
LorettaMarshall
LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member

Good morning “Elle” ~

I note that you first joined this CSN site on August 11, 2016.  But I believe this is the first time I have seen a letter from you on this site.  May I say that none of us want to be here, but we would love to “only” be dealing with Stage I Esophageal Cancer.  I write as a Stage IV cancer patient, so I speak from the heart. 

I note that you have posted on an old topic forum where posts are 5 years old, and none of them are presently posting on this board.  So may I suggest that if you wish to continue a conversation on the Esophageal Cancer link, that you simply start your very own topic line?  That way people can answer your questions in particular.  So you might want to answer under the new topic that I just created, or start your very own.  But I fear few will be reading posts and receiving help from patients no longer active.  We here at least like to know:

1. Where you are currently being treated?

2. Who is your Thoracic Surgeon?

3. Has he been trained to perform the laparoscopic esophagectomy, known as Ivor Lewis Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy?  (MIE)

4. How many Esophagectomies has the surgeon performed? 

5. Are you at a medical facility that specializes in Esophagectomies?

6. Have you had a Second Opinion?

7. Have you had pre-op chemo/radiation treatments, or is your stage so early that no neo-adjuvant treatment has been prescribed?

Nevertheless, I’m certain you will have questions regarding the recovery process and there are those here that have been through that cycle and are alive as well.  We hope you never have to pose a question here as a Stage IV EC patient.  And without sounding too “cold”, if I could choose my own stage of any cancer, it would certainly be “Stage 1”.  So we wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery.

Loretta Marshall

Wife of William Marshall, Stage III survivor now in his 14th year.  A minimally invasive esophagectomy was performed by Dr. James D. Luketich at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Ctr. on May 17, 2003.

1.  http://health.usnews.com/health-care/best-hospitals/articles/best-hospitals-honor-roll-and-overview

Even though these hospitals have been ranked as the best, each one is also ranked for different specialties.  It may be that you are at one of the best hospitals, and then again you may not be.   In any case, put the name of your hospital in the “search” block, then look for their ranking in Gastroenterology and GI Surgeries.  If at all possible, you want to seek treatment at a hospital that ranks high in the “GI” category. 

2.   http://www.cancer.org/cancer/esophaguscancer/detailedguide/esophagus-cancer-staging

Excellent info on treatment by stage

3.   http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/esophageal-cancer

Complete guide to Esophageal Cancer, including importance of having a Second Opinion, and seeking out top-rated hospitals known for their expertise in performing Esophagectomies.  All hospitals who rate well in treating cancer, are not necessarily the top in every category.  Gastroenterology and GI surgeries include the surgery for Esophageal Cancer.

4.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxiDzHkwyLA

Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy - Dr. Dawn Jaroszewski – Mayo Clinic Arizona

Published on Apr 24, 2014 - Advantages of the Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy

Dr. Dawn Jaroszewski explains that the recovery process for the Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy takes approximately 6 weeks as opposed to 24 weeks to recover from the OPEN Ivor Lewis Surgery. 

5.  http://csn.cancer.org/node/157909#comment-form

Your post to the EC site this morning.10-08-16

I have stage one cancer and

I have stage one cancer and will have surgery to remove my esophgaus on the the 19th of Oct the doctor is going to remove all of it.

Your “About me page info from ElleGonzalez”

csn.cancer.org - Joined on- Thursday, August 11 2016- Last online- Saturday, October 08 2016- Age Range - 40-49- Would appreciate response

Hello everyone - New to this forum, but long time AC survivor. Hoping this will post to the AC group. Was former member of Yahoo Health Group for AC. Wondering if anyone in our group has been diagnosed with metastatic liver cancer following treatment for AC. Would appreciate response as to what type of treatment was offered. Waiting for cancer clinic appt. Thanking you for any response, and best wishes to all who are currently receiving treatment. "

________________________End of references___________________

Comments

• Charlotte 3
    Charlotte 3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    coughing up phlegm and foamy sputum

Please....has anyone had the problem of coughing up phlegm and foamy sputum?  My poor mother was diagosed April of 2015, has had chemo and radiation.  She is 87 years old, and they wouldn't do surgery.  She has had a g-tube inserted just after diagnosis.  My Dad feeds her 6 times a day.  She no longer takes anything by mouth as they tried to dilate her esophagus but because of scar tissue they were unable to enlarge it at all.  She is constantly coughing and choking on this phlegm, more so @ night now.  They have her on Ativan eye drops that she puts on her tongue...trying to dry up secretions?  I had read on another site that Mucinex was used, and she tried a small amt of that, and she said that it felt like it burned her esophagus.  PLEASE if anyone has a helpful hint....we would so appreciate it!  Thank you!