Chemo symptoms

Options

Among all the usual symptoms I get I just today got a raw tongue. My hands had bubbled up and peeled and are sensitive on the end by the thumbs now my tongue feels same way. Anyone else experience this? Makes it impossible to eat most anything. I just

finished round 4 0f A&C start T next week for 4 rounds. 

TIA

karen

Comments

• Losa
    Losa Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2016 #2
    Options
    Mouth sores and skin

Hi Karen.  Everyone advised me to chew ice during chemo, however I did not. I used  Biotene mouth rinse.  I brought it everywhere, used it constantly and rinsed after every morsel I put in my mouth.  This worked for me & I avoided mouth sores during 8 rounds of chemo.  For my hands, feet and skin, I used coconut oil. Also on my cuticles.  4 of my nails turned black.  I oiled the cuticles.  My nails took 4-6 months to grow out. They are still slightly yellow one year post chemo.  Hope this helps.   good luck!  

• lisenbysl
    lisenbysl Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2016 #3
    Options
    I found that sucking on ice

I found that sucking on ice while getting chemo kept me from getting any mouth problems or sores

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    All the skin on the palms of

All the skin on the palms of my hands peeled off and all of my nails turned black. Some of my toenails fell off. I had the sore tongue too, but didn't really do anything about it other than  eat popscicles and ice cream. It went away when the AC treatments stopped. Best wishes for your treatments.

• Karenweger
    Karenweger Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2016 #5
    Options
    Losa said:

Mouth sores and skin

Hi Karen.  Everyone advised me to chew ice during chemo, however I did not. I used  Biotene mouth rinse.  I brought it everywhere, used it constantly and rinsed after every morsel I put in my mouth.  This worked for me & I avoided mouth sores during 8 rounds of chemo.  For my hands, feet and skin, I used coconut oil. Also on my cuticles.  4 of my nails turned black.  I oiled the cuticles.  My nails took 4-6 months to grow out. They are still slightly yellow one year post chemo.  Hope this helps.   good luck!  

Thank you

Thank you

• Iris_G
    Iris_G Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2016 #6
    Options
    Sore Taste Buds

I didn't get mouth sores, per se, but it seemed like I would get a random taste bud that would swell and be a little painful.  It would start 2-3 days after chemo and last for only a couple of days, so I really didn't do anything for it.

• Karenweger
    Options

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your feedback. Did any of you get a good pain medication from your oncologist to deal with side effects?

• Snguyen
    Snguyen Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, eat

Drink a lot of water, eat blue berries, excercise did help me to recover fast.

• Snguyen
    Snguyen Member Posts: 3
    Options
    My hair is growing thicker

My hair is growing thicker than before. My coworkers asked me what did I ate ? I have been eating spinach, garlic, turmeric, alvocado everyday. Walking one hour averyday even during treatment. I am glad that I am able go back to work. Good luck!!! Sorry my English is not good.

• Karenweger
    Options
    Snguyen said:

Drink a lot of water, eat

Drink a lot of water, eat blue berries, excercise did help me to recover fast.

Thank you sounds good.

Thank you sounds good.

• Karenweger
    edited October 2016 #11
    Options
    Snguyen said:

My hair is growing thicker

My hair is growing thicker than before. My coworkers asked me what did I ate ? I have been eating spinach, garlic, turmeric, alvocado everyday. Walking one hour averyday even during treatment. I am glad that I am able go back to work. Good luck!!! Sorry my English is not good.

Thanks for the tip. You did

Thanks for the tip. You did fine on the English, thank you for sharing. 

• Meme14470
    Meme14470 Member Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had severe mouth

I had severe mouth inflamation that started with my first AC treatment and never truely went away until after my last taxol treatment (4AC & 12 weekly taxol).  What helped me the most was a dental gel called oxyfresh super relief, I would put it on my mouth, cheeks and tongue before naps and before bed, I didn't rinse out like the directions said, just left it in while I slept.  The "dry mouth" also started with the Taxol treatments, have tried and used all kinds of dry mouth products, unfortunately, my dry mouth still persists even 4 months after my last treatment, I have been to an ENT for this and am taking a salivary stimulant that helps some but is very short acting, hopefully my salivary glands will start to kick in soon!  I did eat ice continuously during all my treatments and it did not seem to help.  Another thing that was soothing was rising with salt/baking soda rinse - 1 cup warm water, 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 tsp salt.  I ened up losing 40 lbs because it was hard to eat anything other than very soft foods, cottage cheese, pudding, yogurt, milkshakes and occasionally scrambled eggs was my diet for months.