Pain in the Butt

Options
TraceyUSA
TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316

Has anyone had pain in the tailbone area (specifically between the buttocks, not the anal area, a little further back)?  I'm 3.5 years post treatment and about a month ago I started having this discomfort that comes and goes in that area.  I feels like when I fell on ice a few years ago,landed on my butt and bruised my tailbone.  I've done nothing that I can think of to cause this.  No particular position (seated on standing) seems to bring it in on, it just happens several times throughout the day.  I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and all was good (I had the discomfort prior to this.)  Maybe it's arthritis from when I fell?  Any thoughts?

Thanks, 

Tracey

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2016 #2
    Options
    Tracey

I don't really know what to think of this, based on your description.  It would seem like an odd area to have pain for no unknown reason, such as a fall.  Since your fall happened a long time ago, I don't see how it could be related, but I guess anything is possible.  If it is intermittent, the perhaps it's brought on by some activity?  I don't know.  I guess the best you can do it have it checked out by your doctor the next time it presents itself.  I hope it's nothing serious!

Martha

• TraceyUSA
    Options
    mp327 said:

Tracey

I don't really know what to think of this, based on your description.  It would seem like an odd area to have pain for no unknown reason, such as a fall.  Since your fall happened a long time ago, I don't see how it could be related, but I guess anything is possible.  If it is intermittent, the perhaps it's brought on by some activity?  I don't know.  I guess the best you can do it have it checked out by your doctor the next time it presents itself.  I hope it's nothing serious!

Martha

Thanks for responding, Martha.

It's puzzling to me too.  I tend to question every little ache and pain.  I think I'll give it 'til December when I go for my 6 month check-ups (unless it gets worse).

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2016 #4
    Options
    TraceyUSA.....

It does not make a lot of sense but what here really does??? 

I wonder if your pain may be associated with osteoporosis? Have you had a bone density test? Do you take Vitamin D or had those levels as well as calcium checked since treatment. The radiation may have excellerated bone loss in that area for you....though thats just a guess. Please let us know what you learn.

katheryn

• TraceyUSA
    edited October 2016 #5
    Options
    Katheryn

Yes, I have had a recent DEXA scan and moved from osteopenia to osteoporosis on the femur reading the others are still in the osteopenia range.  Calcium and D levels are good and I currently take Caltrate and a multivitamin.  I am trying exercise more regularlly to improve this since I do not want to take any meds at this time.

I'm thinking it's another "gift" from radiation.

Thanks for responding.