Fat Transfer Reconstruction

wirak
wirak Member Posts: 26
edited September 2016 in Breast Cancer #1

I had tram flap reconstruction, followed by saline implants (tram flap healed completely different sizes) 4 years ago. Since then, I have had capsular contracture twice. My PS is recommending removing the implants and rebuilding the breast tissue from the previous tram using a fat transfer procedure. Has anyone had this procedure done? Any experience/advice would be helpful. 

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited September 2016 #2
    I have not done any

I have not done any reconstrucion (i am very small breasted and had 2 lumpecomties on the same side) MY 2nd surgeon suggested the fat trasfer prodedure-but opted to NOT do it. (no just cancer, but in my life time I have had well over 15- surgeries and 26 annual coloscopies-so OPT not to have any elective procedures.  I hope others here have some expericnce to advice for you..

good vibes heading your way

Denise

• wirak
    edited September 2016 #3

I have not done any

I have not done any reconstrucion (i am very small breasted and had 2 lumpecomties on the same side) MY 2nd surgeon suggested the fat trasfer prodedure-but opted to NOT do it. (no just cancer, but in my life time I have had well over 15- surgeries and 26 annual coloscopies-so OPT not to have any elective procedures.  I hope others here have some expericnce to advice for you..

good vibes heading your way

Denise

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the good vibes!  I'm not sure how common the procedure is, so it makes me a little nervous......

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    fat transfer

The procedure will be the easiest thing you've done so far.  I had lipsuction from the abdomen and flanks.  Those were sore for a while but the places where it was injected in my breasts were fine.  Just wear the compression garments as they tell you to, for as long as they tell you, so you heal correctly.

• wirak
    crselby said:

fat transfer

The procedure will be the easiest thing you've done so far.  I had lipsuction from the abdomen and flanks.  Those were sore for a while but the places where it was injected in my breasts were fine.  Just wear the compression garments as they tell you to, for as long as they tell you, so you heal correctly.

Thanks!

Did they create your entire breast from fat transfer? Have they retained shape/size, etc?

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    fat transfer

Well, the breasts you see in my picture are not the breasts I have now.  Six years after treatment for DCIS I had a recurrence of DCIS.  So one breast had 2 lumpectomies by 2015.  The other breast was reduced and lifted to match the affected one.  So I went from DDDD to B.  The affected breast had a less than perfect shape and a small divot.  So the fat was injected in a wide "C" shape around my nipple to fill in.  After about 4 months whatever fat that wasn't connected to a blood supply was re-absorbed or died off.  I have a solid mass that was just found on my ultrasound that needs to be biopsied but everyone says it's probably dead fat.  Only about 50% of the injected fat stays after it has connected to a blood supply.  So, to answer your question, no, the entire breast was not created by fat transfer.

~~Connie~~