Options
2»

Comments

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    edited October 2016 #22
    Options
    BluesMama~The port placement is nothing compared 2 your epidural

Hello once more – It’s very early in the morning, and also very late for me to be up, since I have to be at the oncologist office at 8:15 A.M.  My husband and I made a quick trip to see my relatives in the mountains, because I wanted to go while I had some hair.  Three of my closest relatives are over 90 years of age.  I know they pray for me all the time, and we talk over the phone.  I just got back home about 9:30 P.M. unpacked, threw in a load of clothes, and have a pack of mail to open. 

As for your recovery, yes it is slow and painful~enough said. 

But I just wanted you to know that my port placement was a piece of cake.  I, too, have had an epidural, and believe me you’re going to be surprised at how easy the port placement will be by comparison.  Usually they have you undress in one area of the examination room, then “wheel you off to another part in your hospital gown.”   The radiologist that put in the port was so nice.  I told him, please put the port in a place where it won’t rub against my bra strap.  He said, “Go get your bra.  He waited till I went back to the other part of the room, got my bra and put it on.  Then he proceeded to put the port in place so that my bra strap would not rub against it.

So may I suggest that you be sure you have the radiologist put it in taking that into consideration.  My port was placed on the right side of my chest up near the collar bone.  I’ve never had a problem with it.  It sure beats getting “stuck with a needle and searching for a vein!”  Furthermore, any time I needed a pain med while I was hospitalized, it went directly into my port.  I still have my port.  It’s been in since February of 2012.  It gets flushed every 4 to 5 weeks if I am not getting infusions.  But during my chemo that starts tomorrow, it will be flushed each time prior to the infusions.  So let me put your mind at ease about the port.  Mine was called a “double lumen” meaning it had two different holes.

Wishing you all the best,

Loretta

1. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/_downloads/patient_info/port_placement.pdf

“The Johns Hopkins Hospital Patient Information Original Date 9/09 Oncology Revised/ Reviewed 6/10 Implanted Port Placement What is an implanted port? An implanted port is a device that is placed under your skin to provide intravenous (I.V.) access for chemotherapy, medications, and transfusions. It is made up of a small reservoir and a catheter that provides access to your larger veins. Implanted port placement is very common for patients who need long term I.V access…”

2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E8G_8Fk39A

A video of a young lady who tells you about her medi-port.

“My Chemo Port: What it is and how it works

What's a chemo port and why may you want one? One multiple myeloma survivor shares getting accessed in the clinic using this handy item that makes infusion therapy a whole lot easier and more convenient.”

3.  http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646

Some time ago I shared with “Brian from the North” things that I learned that were helpful during my chemo sessions.  Thought you might like to look at this entry. 

________________________End of references____________________