Cigarrte Smoking question

Options

Hello,

This question is intended for people who are currently smoking or were smoking until they were diagnosed with H&N Cancer.

I am a smoker who used to smoke 10 cigarretes per day until mid August when my diagnosis of H&N cancer. Since then I have

cut 1 cigarrete every week, now I am down to 5 cigarretes per day and I love smoking lets say even more than sex or any other

joy of life. My radiation will start next Wednesday 9/28/16. The Radiation Onco has told me the first week and even 2nd week of

radiation and that once it starts I'll must be at zero cigarrete a day. With my plan I think at best I'll be at 4 or 3 a day.

Is there any current smoker or anyone who stopped right before radiation or smoked who can give me fiirst hand info about smoking for

the 1st 2 weeks of raiation. I think at the end of 2nd week of rad I will be down to zero.

Thanks a lot

Mehrdad

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Good Luck

Mehrad,

I am not a smoker, never have been.

Don’t worry about smoking, by week 3 – 4 (if you are like any of us) your side effects will dictate how much and how often you smoke.

While cessation of smoking is a given beneficial, I would not use too much brain power thinking about it.  Treatments can be hard and if you can wrap having a cigarette into staying hydrated and nourished then more power to you.

The best laid plans for treatment can go awry.  Take things one at a time or one cigarette at a time as it may be.

Matt

• mrspaul
    mrspaul Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My husband smoked for about

My husband smoked for about 40 years before he was diagnosed with cancer in July.  He had cancer in his tonsils - they have been removed and cancer in his left lymph node.  he starts chemo this coming thursday.  the plan is for nine weeks of chemo, then PET, CT scans to see if they are doing surgery or going straight to chemo and radiation.  

My husband quit about three days before his tonsils were taken out - on August 9th.  He was so sick from the tonsils coming out, the biopsies from his tongue and adnoids - they were both free of cancer - that he could not smoke even if he wanted to.  HE still craves cigarettes a lot...but has not smoked.  He got very scared when diagnosed with cancer.  He is age 52.  We have two grandchildren that just adore him.  My husband tried to quit for years and could not do it.  He tells me all the time how much he wants to live, how he is beating this cancer.  That is his drive behind quitting cigarettes - is his devotion to our grandchildren - we are very involved in our grandchildren's lives - my daughter and our grandchildren live with us - and everything is "grampy".  

I hope you can find the strength to quit smoking too.  I can only imagine how hard that must be, I have never smoked so I dont understand that addiction.  I have bought my husband hard candy, small chocolates, he has started doing coloring books - the adult coloring books - anything to not smoke.  OF course it helps him that he never smoked in the house, he never wanted our grandchildren to know he smoked, so he only smoked outside, behind the garage !  As long as he can stay away from the garage, he cant smoke!

• SueBee2011
    SueBee2011 Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2016 #4
    Options
    mehrdad-smoking

Hello!  I can speak from experience about smoking.  I thoughly enjoyed smoking also!  It was my reward system when it was time to relax.  When I was nervous or sad or happy, it was time for a cigarette....well, you know.  So much of life revolved around having a cigarette.  Then I started enjoying smoking less because I started coughing more and more.   Maybe I was coughing because I had throat cancer Stage 4.  HA!  Anyway, about two months before my diagnosis, I quit.  I wish I could tell you how strong I was and that I quit cold turkey, but no, I used Chantix.  Now you still have to work on quiting, but it helps you from going crazy.  Even with Chantix I cheated a little because I knew I was going to quit eventually and did.  I wonder if you could use Chantix while doing treatment.  I had radiation and Chemo and believe me, you don't want to smoke.  I had blisters in my mouth and well, of course raditaion burns.  When you complete your treatment it will still take a while for the healing process.  Also, saliva is less.  After my treatment, I even cheated a few times but then I figured out I couldn't without going back.  So no more for me!  Hey, it sure gives you a lot of freedom.  Now I can go anywhere I want and not worry about where I'm going to smoke.  Good luck to you!  Gosh, I hope this helps a little.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    What SueBee said....

Ask for Chantix....I'm sure you can use it during treatment.  It has helped many, MANY people kick the habit.  I LOVED smoking, and didn't have a clue how I'd ever stop.  I quit 4 years before I was diagnosed, but used ecigs to do it.  I honestly don't think once rads start, you'll be able to smoke....inhaling a ciggie will sting like the devil. 

p

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2016 #6
    Options
    I quit with Chantix.  Four

I quit with Chantix.  Four months now.  I didn't stop smoking after a heart attack nor after my stroke.  Even after the tongue cancer and surgery, I smoked after a few weeks.   After taking the Chantix for about three weeks, I quit.  I didn't want to but felt I had to.  It helps with the strong urges and helps you adjust to non smoking.  I still think like a smoker, still think about smoking but I'm not frantic about it now.

• SueBee2011
    Options
    I know what you mean, Tonita.

I had cancer the first time in 2005 and I smoked all the way through it!  Yeah, I did!  Then I got a different cancer (neck/throat) in 2011 and had to quit.  Anyway, your brain will finally stop telling you that you need a cigarette.  It did for me. 

• mehrdad357
    mehrdad357 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hello Tonita, SueBee2011 and

Hello Tonita, SueBee2011 and Phrannie51,

I started Chantix yesterday morning (10/2). It is strange, cause I took it around 11 AM and till 4 PM I did not smoke. Then I smoked

my 2nd favorite brand (Merritt Ultima) and it tasted like plain smoke, that is no flavor. I then smoked my favorite Brand (Carlton 100) and

that too tasted just like smoke. So I said AHA , finally victory, I am no longer a slave. However today it was a different story. I took smoked

my favorite (Carlton 100) for morning glory and it tasted great. After 1 hour I took my Chantix, hoping this was my only cig. of the day.

I then smoked my 3rd favorite which is very strong (L&M) 2 hours after Chantix and it tasted real good. After lunch I smoked Carlton and it was good again. Around 4 PM smoked L&M and iyt hit the spot. Finally after supper I smoked Merritt Ulima and It tasted like half smoke. Overall I smoked 4 yesterday and 5 today, kind of dissapointing. So far 2 consecutive days of Chantix have produced mixed results, but I am going to take it again tomorrow, cause I really don't  want to be a slave.

One question: As of Day 4, Wed. for me, I have to take 2 pills one in the morning one in the evening. Why do you think one in the evening. Would it not cause insomnia?

Thanks for extra support and clarification on my so far 2 day experience with Chantix.

Mehrdad

• armana
    armana Member Posts: 97 Member
    edited October 2016 #9
    Options

I started Chantix yesterday morning (10/2). It is strange, cause I took it around 11 AM and till 4 PM I did not smoke. Then I smoked

my 2nd favorite brand (Merritt Ultima) and it tasted like plain smoke, that is no flavor. I then smoked my favorite Brand (Carlton 100) and

that too tasted just like smoke. So I said AHA , finally victory, I am no longer a slave. However today it was a different story. I took smoked

my favorite (Carlton 100) for morning glory and it tasted great. After 1 hour I took my Chantix, hoping this was my only cig. of the day.

I then smoked my 3rd favorite which is very strong (L&M) 2 hours after Chantix and it tasted real good. After lunch I smoked Carlton and it was good again. Around 4 PM smoked L&M and iyt hit the spot. Finally after supper I smoked Merritt Ulima and It tasted like half smoke. Overall I smoked 4 yesterday and 5 today, kind of dissapointing. So far 2 consecutive days of Chantix have produced mixed results, but I am going to take it again tomorrow, cause I really don't  want to be a slave.

One question: As of Day 4, Wed. for me, I have to take 2 pills one in the morning one in the evening. Why do you think one in the evening. Would it not cause insomnia?

Thanks for extra support and clarification on my so far 2 day experience with Chantix.

Mehrdad

Smoking

Mehrdad, you have stage 4b head and neck cancer and you must quit if you want to beat this beast. Just think about the cancer spreading everytime you take a puff. I think you should forget about which cigarrette tastes the best and focus on how it helps the cancer spread.  It is time to worry about increasing the odds for survival.

• Tonita
    Options

Mehrdad

I didn't really have insomnia

I didn't really have insomnia from Chantix.  Set a reasonable quit date and keep taking it.  It took three weeks for me to quit.

• mehrdad357
    mehrdad357 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hello Tonita,

Hello Tonita,

On my Chantix box it has days 1 to 7 in lemon color and says quit in 7 days. It also has 1 0.5 mg pill for days 1 to 3 for morrning and for days 4 to 7 it has 2 0.5 mg pills one for morning & one for evening. For days 8 to 21 the background becomes light blue and it has two 1 mg. pills for morning and evening. The evening pills did not cause insomnia?  

Good news: Today 1 carlton, 2 L&M tasted like smoke only (no flavor). The Merritt Ultima that I smoked before taking Chantix had taste. total was back to 4.

Mehrdad

• SueBee2011
    Options
    You're doing great, mehrdad!

You're doing great!  Also, I want to know how you have that many brands of cigarettes?  HA!  As for the insomnia, I don't remember that the pills gave me insomnia.  You know, you are allowed to smoke the first week.  To be honest with you, I even cheated and smoked the second week a little.  Okay, other times I cheated too...but I did quit on my own terms.  I'm very glad you are taking Chantix now and that you have started the process.  Trust me, you do not want that smoke with a dry throat or one that has had rediation.   Keep us informed about your progress! 

• Tonita
    Options

You're doing great, mehrdad!

You're doing great!  Also, I want to know how you have that many brands of cigarettes?  HA!  As for the insomnia, I don't remember that the pills gave me insomnia.  You know, you are allowed to smoke the first week.  To be honest with you, I even cheated and smoked the second week a little.  Okay, other times I cheated too...but I did quit on my own terms.  I'm very glad you are taking Chantix now and that you have started the process.  Trust me, you do not want that smoke with a dry throat or one that has had rediation.   Keep us informed about your progress! 

I smoked for three weeks on

I smoked for three weeks on Chantix and wondered if it would ever help me.  It did at the three week mark.

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    edited October 2016 #14
    Options
    To Quit or Not

Being an ex-smoker I know how much you enjoy the habit.  But believe me, once it's in the rear view mirror for awhile you'll wonder why you ever smoked at all.

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate.  My late father in law was diagnosed with stage 4 mouth cancer right after he retired at 65.  He never did quit smoking or drinking even though the doctors all told him to do so.  Had his cancer gone any longer than it was he would have lost his entire mouth.  He just called it a little cancer and kept up his bad habits.  Once his wife died of cancer he went into a depression so deep he ended up with pancreatic cancer a year after her death.  We swear he got it due to a broken heart.  He was 74 when he passed and smoked and drank up until his last day.  There was no telling him anything as he was as subborn as a mule.  Did the smoking kill him?  No, the pancreatic cancer did.

If you are like him then it's a 50/50 chance.  We all advise stopping the habit but you will do what you want to do.  I used every method known to man to quit my habit.  I asked every person who had quit what they did and adopted all their suggestions, including using not Chantix, but Wellbutrin instead.  That worked really good along with the nicorette gum.  I only chewed it for two weeks and was done with it.  My habit started at 12 years old and ended when I was 37.  Even if I knew the end of the world was tomorrow, I still wouldn't pick up a cigarette.  That's how far I've come.  Please try to stop if you want to continue living.

Welcome to the forum!

Tom

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Chantix isn't an instant fix...

Everyone I know who used it, it worke like in Tonita's case....about 3 weeks.  Chantix is an anti-depressent in "real life"....and it takes a couple weeks for it to build up in your system.  It shouldn't affect your sleep.

p

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    I smoked a pack and a half for 22 years.

I enjoyed smoking and smoked even with severe COPD [stage 3] I stopped smoking the night before I met with the tumor board. That was 3 years ago. I just never lit another cigarette again. If you really want to stop you will and yes, you can. You really have to want to stop. Don't pick a day or say I'll stop in my third week. Today is the day to pick and you just do it.  If you are still going to smoke, why are you even going through the treatment? I was told I have a 25% chance it will come back and if I keep smoking it is 90% it will return. This may sound harsh, but really, why do you still smoke. I know my brother still does and he is dying and age 75. He stopped for way over 60 days and it was out of his system, but he started back and in 3 days back in the hospital. 

I do wish you the best of luck, and you don't stop smoking. You just never light another one. Oh, don't do the Vaping thing as that will give you emphysema as well. If you stop before you get emphysema your lungs will heal and rebuild. I waited too long. Once you have emphysema you can't beat it. I beat cancer and am 3 years clear. [53% survival rate to 5 years] but I can't beat COPD. Try to stop today.

Bill

• lnyert
    lnyert Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    still smoking

Hi there..i had stage 3 borderline stage 4 non HPV throat cancer in 2014..went thru treatment and unfortunately I'm still smoking. Ive had lots of issues with late side effects,lits of CT scans with lung issues also. I have tried every imaginable way to quit, but none have worked.. So far I am NED..

• SueBee2011
    edited October 2016 #18
    Options
    Cold Turkey?

Some people cannot go cold turkey.  I know I could not.  I never really tried to do the "quit cold turkey" thingy, because I knew I'd fail.  All I'm saying is Chantix worked for me. 

• lnyert
    lnyert Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks bill

Thanks Bill, your last comment gives me hope that i can...and must quit!

• Tonita
    Options
    lnyert said:

thanks bill

Thanks Bill, your last comment gives me hope that i can...and must quit!

I was a compulsive smoker for

I was a compulsive smoker for 50 years.  I really didn't want to quit but for obvious reasons, I had to.  Chantix did it for me in three weeks.