Ending week #2 of rads & chemo. Already have grade 2 sores.

Options
SylMarie
SylMarie Member Posts: 91 Member
edited September 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Week #2 ends tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be able to say "10 treatments down, 22 to go."

It could be the addition of once-weekly chemo, which I am told magnifies the radiation side effects, but I have already developed grade 2 mouth sores on the target site (upper gums, left side, back). Today my rad. onc. confirmed it when he checked my mouth. Those L-Glutamine rinses sure do help! Also, the pain is mild, thanks to 2700 mg. of Gabapentin per day. I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

Those of you who have gone through all of this are really troopers. I hope I can be as strong as all of you as the journey continues and intensifies. Thanks for being here.

-S

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    did i mention how good magic mouth wash is

S,

22 to go, oh boy.  I’ve been there, done that and read that chapter.  It is more of the same with less taste, mouth, throat and tongue discomfort, a bit of coughing, lots  of sleep and water and swallowing. You will knock it out!

Matt

• SylMarie
    SylMarie Member Posts: 91 Member
    edited September 2016 #3
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

did i mention how good magic mouth wash is

S,

22 to go, oh boy.  I’ve been there, done that and read that chapter.  It is more of the same with less taste, mouth, throat and tongue discomfort, a bit of coughing, lots  of sleep and water and swallowing. You will knock it out!

Matt

Hi, Matt!

Hi, Matt!

My rad onc prescribed something called C-Larry's Solution that he gives his patients. It says "Take 15 ml by mouth every 6 hours as needed (take as directed)." I just called the pharmacist and was told it was Lidocaine, Maalox, and Benadryl.  He said to swish it around my mouth and gargle for 60 seconds, but not to swallow it unless I had sores on my throat because the Benadryl would make me sleepy.

I am already taking too much sleep-inducing stuff and would rather not add to the sedation. My sores are on my upper cheeks and in one spot on the lower cheek. How did the Magic Mouthwash help you? Did you use it in the same way? 

Thanks.

S

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited September 2016 #4
    Options
    one more thing

S,

C-Larry’s Solution sound comparable to magic mouth wash, swish on!

I went through 6 bottles and came to love it (mine was very good).  I sipped, swished and swallowed every drop of it.  I use to take a (reasonable) glug out in the parking lot before rads.

When treatments were over I quit using it shortly after.

Just do whatever works for you.  Some side effects I only read about, others I attacked head-on.

The best to you.

Matt

• siddhesh_athavale
    siddhesh_athavale Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016 #5
    Options
    Engage yourself

I have gone through same situation. Today I am at the end of 6 weeks after Rad+Chemo.

Earlier I could manage moth sores pain just with glass of lukewarm water + 1/2 tspn salt + 1/4 tspn baking soda, as in country where I live, I could not find magic mouthwash Frown

so had no option other than to cope with pain. Engaging yourself in some work helps a lot to forget about the pain n all -ve thoughts and feel alive Smile.

So dont worry, if I can manage to cop with pain I guess anyone can manage, just have faith in yourself.