Just diagnosed with Melanoma Colorectal Cancer...

bkcoach
bkcoach Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Anal Cancer #1

Yesterday my Doctor called with the results of the test done on the hemorrhoid he recently removed - Melanoma Colorectal Cancer. It's very rare. I'm waiting to hear from my Doctor's Oncologist for an appt. I've been crying most of the day and have been talking with friends and family for support. I found this website from my internet research. My Dad died when I was 10 (1966) from Melanoma. He lived for 5 years after its diagnosis. A lot of thoughts and feelings and beliefs from the past are surfacing. Meditation has taught me to not identify with these but to just notice them appear and fall away. And I feel sad and lonely. I'm very healthy - I exercise, meditate, and eat organic food most days. So this diagnosis has come as a surprise. I realize I don't have all the information yet like what Stage cancer I have. This is where I am with my first day with cancer.  -Bill

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Bill

First, let me say I am very sorry you have a reason to be here and I can imagine this is an anxious time for you.  I'm glad you have found this site--the support is wonderful.  I also want to say how sorry I am to hear about how you lost your dad at such a young age from this same type of cancer.  Each person's cancer journey is different, but that said, I'm sure it's hard not to keep thinking about him.  The good news is, cancer treatment has advanced and there are better treatments available to us for a lot of types of cancer these days.  I hope that the oncologist you will be seeing will be able to give you hope and encouragement that your cancer is treatable and that your odds for survival are very good.

As you've stated, your type of colorectal cancer is rare, but we have had members on this site with anal melanoma.  That said, most of us here were diagnosed with squamous cell anal cancer, which is the most common type of anal cancer.  Please don't let that keep you from seeking support here, as I promise you, we will give you all the support we can.  Your treatment may be different than ours in some ways, but in some ways may be the same.  We will be able to relate to some of the possible side effects you may experience and we might be able to give you some good suggestions on how to effectively deal with them.  So, please do not hesitate to come here and seek support and advice.

Let us know when you will be seeing the oncologist and what comes next in your treatment plan.  We are here to help you.  I wish you all the very best.

Martha

• caretothepeople
    caretothepeople Member Posts: 18
    Bill, welcome. It's

Bill, welcome. It's understandable to be in shock. Getting the news can trigger a wave of different emotions. It's great that you found your way here. There's a lot of great support available. It sounds like you are doing your best to stay strong in what is a very difficult time.

You mentioned you'll be seeing your onc soon. Appointments can go fast and in the haze of everything, it can be overwhelming to rememver details and what you want to ask. The American Cancer Society has a printable guide of questions to ask. If you google "Questions to Ask My Doctor About Colon or Rectum Cancer" it should come right up. It might be helpful for the meeting.

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Doctor

If you have not already done so I strongly recommend you make an appointment with a colon rectal surgeon for a second opinion.  They are the experts in this field.

Mike

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited September 2016 #5
    Welcome to the forum

I have never heard of Melanoma Colorectal Cancer, and now will go look it up. 

I am from the Colorectal forum, and just thought I would let you know that, along with the anal Cancer forum, you are more than welcome there. 

Good luck with your journey as you move forward.

Trubrit

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Bill

How are you doing?  Is there any update?  I am hoping a newbie who was also diagnosed with anal melanoma will see your thread and get in touch with you also.  Please let us know what is going on with you if possible.  Thanks.

Martha