Dysphagia Post - throat (hypopharyngeal cancer) radiation treatment

Options

All, 

By God's grace, my father is cancer free for past 6 months. He completed his stage 4 throat (hypopharyngeal cancer) treatment 6 months ago, which included 3 rounds of neo-adjunct chemotherapy followed by chemo-radiation (33 radiations). After radiation, he is aspirating when he tries to take in liquid and solid food by mouth. He is primarily being fed using PEG tube. He can have only pureed food by mouth without aspiration. Other side effects of radiation such as mucositis have subsided. We have gotten his swallow study done but doctors didn't provide good guidance on how to make his swallowing better. He is doing basic swallowing exercises daily now. Does any of you have any recommendation on if dilation can improve his swallowing considering the fact that aspiration is mostly with liquids or swallow therapy is the only option we have? Is vitalstim therapy safe and recommended for cancer patients?

He complains about having, at times, a slight burning sensation or very tiny pain while swallowing. Also, he has to spit out secretions in his throat every 1-2 hours, he wakes up to spit out 2-3 times during the night - is this something because he is unable to swallow his saliva? or these secretions are different? 

Thank you all and you have a blessed day.

Comments

• bwstacker1
    bwstacker1 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016 #2
    Options
    Feel for the man

I have had a full Laryngectomy for over three months and had to deal with that saliva in my throat for about 2 years. I missed couple ent apps and just put off problem. My only advice is to get suction machine and suck as much mucusvasvposduble away from areas hat you can get to it helped me alot  have yet to start rad but will soon I now have dental clearance after 7 teeth got pulled yesterday. Good luck to you and your family

family

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Hypopharyngeal

Don't have advice on the swallowing issue as my husband did not have any but wanted to let you know my husband is six years out from stage 4 hypopharyngeal cancer.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Welcome to H&N group

Welcome and sorry, you need to be here.  Due to the aspiration, he is having I would strongly recommend recording his voice on his phone and save it. You can get pneumonia so easy with aspirating, and it can get scary. I had silent aspirating and never knew I was doing it, then fours later I would cough and have pieces of food. Mine was supraglottic SCC T3. The tumor was pressing on my Vocal cord on the left side. I'm coming up on 3 years this Oct 2nd. It can be rough but he will be okay. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill

• survivor007007
    survivor007007 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Feel for the man

I have had a full Laryngectomy for over three months and had to deal with that saliva in my throat for about 2 years. I missed couple ent apps and just put off problem. My only advice is to get suction machine and suck as much mucusvasvposduble away from areas hat you can get to it helped me alot  have yet to start rad but will soon I now have dental clearance after 7 teeth got pulled yesterday. Good luck to you and your family

family

thank you bwstacker1

Thanks for the suggestion on suction machine. I'll find out more about it and get one for my dad.  

• survivor007007
    edited August 2016 #6
    Options

Hypopharyngeal

Don't have advice on the swallowing issue as my husband did not have any but wanted to let you know my husband is six years out from stage 4 hypopharyngeal cancer.

thank you for sharing your story

Your husband's success story is indeed encouraging. Thanks for sharing. 

• survivor007007
    Options
    Wms, thanks for your response

Wms, thanks for your response and suggestions. Just small question - how would recording his voice will help?  Does it help in future to find out if he has pneumonia ?

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    edited August 2016 #8
    Options
    Welcome to the family

Glad to hear that your Father is doing so well. After radiation everyone of us have some kind of problem to complain about. Just keep showing him you love him and you are right there to help him in any way you can.Wink

God Bless you both while in His work shop

Tim

• survivor007007
    Options
    Hondo said:

Welcome to the family

Glad to hear that your Father is doing so well. After radiation everyone of us have some kind of problem to complain about. Just keep showing him you love him and you are right there to help him in any way you can.Wink

God Bless you both while in His work shop

Tim

thanks Tim

Thanks Tim for the kind words. God bless you too, sir. 

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited August 2016 #10
    Options
    Sometimes

Voices never sound the same, survivor, or further surgery is needed. Sometimes voice boxes cannot be preserved. I agree with Bill. Make some recordings.

My husband has recorded Hallmark Christmas books for our grandchildren and I've saved dozens of voice mails from him starting before treatment. Jim sang a beautiful second bass before treatment. It was amazing to go back and listen to the changes his voice went through during and after treatment.