Big decision. Please help!

christald21
christald21 Member Posts: 55
I am going to have my exchange surgery next week. I have been having some complications on the side where I had cancer and radiation. I had ultrasound and it came out normal. My surgeon says when he goes in to take out expanders and finds I am too red and inflamed then he won't put the implant in. He wants to know what to do with the other side( healthy side). Do I also leave the other side flat or should I have implant in? Either I will be totally flat in both sides or have one side with implant and other one will be flat. Or if everything goes well then he will do the exchange on both sides. What would you do?

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    edited August 2016 #2
    What To Do

If I were facing your issue I would vote to be symmetrical. If that means flat then so be it. If the doctor cannot put the implant in on your radiated side then you know that a second surgery is in your future. I don't feel much is gained by  temporarily being flat on 1 side and having a full breast on the healthy side. Of course, you may wake up with 2 implants. We can only hope. I wish you the best of luck.

IRENE

• Happiness Republic
    Happiness Republic Member Posts: 10
    Decisions, decisions

I agree with Irene, but in the end I think you just want to be happy with the result, no matter what it looks like. Am I right? Since you're doing the operation next week, I think you should take the time to think about what will make you happiest in the end and then figure out ways to accomplish that. You can try using these five steps:

1. Decide who's on the decision making team. Is it just you or will this decision affect someone else?
    2. Lay out your options
    3. Think about the opposite of whatever your options are
    4. Consider the pros and cons of points 2 and 3
    5. Select the best solution.

This way will take longer, but in the end you'll be happy with your decision because you evaluated your options based on your own circumstances and you know why you made your choice.

Good luck

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2016 #4
    I chose symmetry

Hi!!

I chose to do a bilateral SKIN SPARING double mastectomy.  This allows extra skin to remain on you for future implants or Flap reconstruction. My doctor who is also a professor at UT suggested but didn't insist on this option.  He said this gave me the an option of healing for one to two years after chemo/surgery and let things sort of calm down before a reconstruction. I am so thankful I chose this because my right non cancerous side ended up a rejector of things. lol. If I had an implant in , it would have been a serious issue to contend with. I plan on doing my reconstruction at PMRA and going with the DIEP Flap procedure.  I went from a D cup to what looks like a B cup now. He took my areolas but kept and created even better a small cleavege type look that does well in button down or lower type shirts.  I wear the BEST BRAS recently discovered at Victoria secret that are $20 and incredibly light weight and super soft lacy. These bras are like a sport bra as they have no hooks but look so pretty and by FAR the best option for me after my double mast surgery.  I'm two years out from my cancer dx and these just work out great. They also have the little padded forms sewn in .  I got three colors. Wine, midnight blue and cream.  It's the little things right?? lol.  There is nothing little about your decisions you have to make but I see that it's not just clear cut for you so that leads me to believe you are having some doubts about which way to go.  My breastovers are just fine, one is a bit larger than the other and I will say I do find myself caring alot more about symmetry than I thought I would while in public.  I found my immediate peace of mind when I wear these bras or when I put an insert in on the left side for a better look in my built in bra/tank tops. I just place a shaper in there and whoala, mission accomplished.  

So those drains you will deal with tips:  First make sure you have adaquit drain pouches to let the drain bulbs sit in. They are coming out of your body and need to sit still while you are moving around and living for the next couple weeks. Make it your number one priorty to have these well managed. To my ah ha moment after waking up, my doctor or hospital didn't supply the pouches! WHAT ?! This was a bit insulting to me after all I went through. My thoughts were why in the H do I have to provide these ? NOPE - my husband and I along with my nurse created a plan. We made the nurse find us two pace maker pouches that had a velcro seal across the top. We cut off the straps of it and pinned it to my shirt and then later to a soft type belt. My doctor thought it was genous since it was water proof AND you can see through the pouch to keep an eye on the levels of fluid. I know alot of hospitals have volunteers that make these for breast cancer patients but mine did not.

Wiping - lets just get seriuous here - I popped the stitch that held my drain in place and caused me undesired pain that I could have avoided by having a better stradegy. If I could go back and re-think this - I would have gotten those wet wipes and used a reachable type extention and place the wet wipe on the end of it to help wipe and not compromise by over stretching. Im just being real here.  Test ahead of time before your surgery that allows you to gage the stradegy. 

Pre-make food before surgery and freeze it in zip locks or containers.  People will most likely bring you food, but for those days you are possibly on your own, this allows independance when you need it.

You can do this! Best of wishes for you and your journey :)

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    edited August 2016 #5

I chose symmetry

Hi!!

I chose to do a bilateral SKIN SPARING double mastectomy.  This allows extra skin to remain on you for future implants or Flap reconstruction. My doctor who is also a professor at UT suggested but didn't insist on this option.  He said this gave me the an option of healing for one to two years after chemo/surgery and let things sort of calm down before a reconstruction. I am so thankful I chose this because my right non cancerous side ended up a rejector of things. lol. If I had an implant in , it would have been a serious issue to contend with. I plan on doing my reconstruction at PMRA and going with the DIEP Flap procedure.  I went from a D cup to what looks like a B cup now. He took my areolas but kept and created even better a small cleavege type look that does well in button down or lower type shirts.  I wear the BEST BRAS recently discovered at Victoria secret that are $20 and incredibly light weight and super soft lacy. These bras are like a sport bra as they have no hooks but look so pretty and by FAR the best option for me after my double mast surgery.  I'm two years out from my cancer dx and these just work out great. They also have the little padded forms sewn in .  I got three colors. Wine, midnight blue and cream.  It's the little things right?? lol.  There is nothing little about your decisions you have to make but I see that it's not just clear cut for you so that leads me to believe you are having some doubts about which way to go.  My breastovers are just fine, one is a bit larger than the other and I will say I do find myself caring alot more about symmetry than I thought I would while in public.  I found my immediate peace of mind when I wear these bras or when I put an insert in on the left side for a better look in my built in bra/tank tops. I just place a shaper in there and whoala, mission accomplished.  

So those drains you will deal with tips:  First make sure you have adaquit drain pouches to let the drain bulbs sit in. They are coming out of your body and need to sit still while you are moving around and living for the next couple weeks. Make it your number one priorty to have these well managed. To my ah ha moment after waking up, my doctor or hospital didn't supply the pouches! WHAT ?! This was a bit insulting to me after all I went through. My thoughts were why in the H do I have to provide these ? NOPE - my husband and I along with my nurse created a plan. We made the nurse find us two pace maker pouches that had a velcro seal across the top. We cut off the straps of it and pinned it to my shirt and then later to a soft type belt. My doctor thought it was genous since it was water proof AND you can see through the pouch to keep an eye on the levels of fluid. I know alot of hospitals have volunteers that make these for breast cancer patients but mine did not.

Wiping - lets just get seriuous here - I popped the stitch that held my drain in place and caused me undesired pain that I could have avoided by having a better stradegy. If I could go back and re-think this - I would have gotten those wet wipes and used a reachable type extention and place the wet wipe on the end of it to help wipe and not compromise by over stretching. Im just being real here.  Test ahead of time before your surgery that allows you to gage the stradegy. 

Pre-make food before surgery and freeze it in zip locks or containers.  People will most likely bring you food, but for those days you are possibly on your own, this allows independance when you need it.

You can do this! Best of wishes for you and your journey :)

BonBon

Hi!  I had my diep flap  by a team at PRMA w DR Chrysopoulo.  He's awesome!  I don't think any DR there could be the wrong choice though. You must be in my city!  Linda

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited August 2016 #6
    Not much advice on my end-I

Not much advice on my end-I had 2 lumpectomies (same side) and I am very small breasted-I personally have had way too many surgires (NOT  jsut cancer) So OPTED To NOT do any uncessaray ((IN MY eyes) surgeries.

I am normally one to have everything the same-but in regards to my small lop sided chest-I just buy good bras from Victoria Secrets and buy swim suits, shirts etc loosse enough it is not noticable. (IMO)

I'll check back to see what you decide...

Best of luck and pixie dust heading your wan on your decision.

Denise

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    edited September 2016 #7
    lintx said:

BonBon

Hi!  I had my diep flap  by a team at PRMA w DR Chrysopoulo.  He's awesome!  I don't think any DR there could be the wrong choice though. You must be in my city!  Linda

Hi Linda!!!!

Wow, I'm so thankful to know you had this done AND are from my neck of the woods!! I actually live outside of Austin in Lockhart. Please share the knowledge on this new journey I'm about to go through. I have not done a consultation yet. 

Thanks for any advice,

Bonnie

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    edited September 2016 #8

Hi Linda!!!!

Wow, I'm so thankful to know you had this done AND are from my neck of the woods!! I actually live outside of Austin in Lockhart. Please share the knowledge on this new journey I'm about to go through. I have not done a consultation yet. 

Thanks for any advice,

Bonnie

Bonnie

I sent you a long pm!  L

• JAHTurner
    JAHTurner Member Posts: 1
    Breast Implants or Not?

If it were me, I would decide to keep both sides flat. I would rather move on to healing. There are so many things out there to help women who choose not to have reconstructiom. Sexy bras with pockets and tattoos to place 3-D nipples on a flat chest. I have seen photos of these tattoos-they look great!  You may have already made your decision. Whatever you decide, just move on down the road and keep going forward. Best of luck!