not sure about anything

Jolane13
Jolane13 Member Posts: 3

My husband had a small mass on kidney that they believed to be cancer, stage 1.  It was found on a trip to ER for gastritis.  Had a robitic partial nephrectomy done about a week ago where they removed about 1/3 of his kidney.  Received call tonight that they did not find any cancer.  He has appt tomorrow.  i am at a loss as to what to think.  I did not speak with doc, so not sure if the mass was removed and there was no cancer or they did not remove the mass. Doc told him follow up with CT in three months.  Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    edited August 2016 #2
    It could be a benign tumor or

It could be a benign tumor or a simple cyst. As nephrectomy is the treatment for all benign and malignant tumors so they have done the right thing to take it out and then check it to see weather it is malignant or not.

I think it's almost impossible that a sturgeon takes the healthy part of kidney. By the way a simple kidney US can easily show weather suspicious tumor is still there or not

Forough

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Jumping for Joy!

Jolane:

Sounds like the initial pathology report is that the mass was benign.  You'll find out more when you visit with your doctor, but for now it's time for a BIG sigh of relief.  Congratulations on the great news!

Stub

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    This DOES happen. It happened to my uncle

As crazy as it sounds, it could have spontaneously "regressed" and disappeared. That happened to my Uncle. Kidney cancer is one of the few cancers where "spontaneous remission" happens. So either the tumor was a non-cancerous mass on the kidney or it spontaneously regressed due to the immune system attacking it. Either way, you have hit the kidney cancer holy grail/jackpot and should be celebrating. 

• Jolane13
    Jolane13 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2016 #5
    Still have not seen the

Still have not seen the doctor to be able to ask him about follow up questions.  I did get on the patient portal where it says there was no lesions or cysts were present on the portion of the kidney removed.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    That's worrisome

I would call the doctor on that.  They removed part of the kidney that had no mass?  Not trying to scare you, but lots of questions come to mind if that's the case.  Did they operate on the correct kidney?  Where is the mass if it was left behind?  Might be time for another opinion as well.

Please keep us posted on your findings.

Donna~