Metastatic liver cancer inquiry

Bellen
Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member

Hello everyone - New to this forum, but long time AC survivor.  Hoping this will post to the AC group.  Was former member of Yahoo Health Group for AC. Wondering if anyone in our group has been diagnosed with metastatic liver cancer following treatment for AC.  Would appreciate response as to what type of treatment was offered. Waiting for cancer clinic appt.  Thanking you for any response, and best wishes to all who are currently receiving treatment.  

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited August 2016 #2
    Bellen

I am sorry to hear about the metastatic disease and am going on the premise that you are referring to yourself.  Forgive me if that is not the case.  I do not know from personal experience what type of treatment might be available in this scenario, but there are a handful of people who have posted on this site who have had liver mets, so perhaps you will get a response from someone who has dealt with this. 

My knowledge is very limited in this area and the only comments I can make are based on someone else's experience.  I do know of one person who was initially diagnosed with AC and had mets to her liver.  I believe her treatment consisted of Carbo, Taxol and Xeloda.  I do not know her current status, but I believe her treatment was considered a success.  She received treatment in California and her doctor was William Stanton, M.D.   Here is a link to information about this doctor https://www.scripps.org/physicians/5401-william-stanton  Perhaps he would be agreeable to a phone consult with your physican(s).

If I think of any other info I will post.  Best wishes.

Martha 

• Bellen
    mp327 said:

Bellen

I am sorry to hear about the metastatic disease and am going on the premise that you are referring to yourself.  Forgive me if that is not the case.  I do not know from personal experience what type of treatment might be available in this scenario, but there are a handful of people who have posted on this site who have had liver mets, so perhaps you will get a response from someone who has dealt with this. 

My knowledge is very limited in this area and the only comments I can make are based on someone else's experience.  I do know of one person who was initially diagnosed with AC and had mets to her liver.  I believe her treatment consisted of Carbo, Taxol and Xeloda.  I do not know her current status, but I believe her treatment was considered a success.  She received treatment in California and her doctor was William Stanton, M.D.   Here is a link to information about this doctor https://www.scripps.org/physicians/5401-william-stanton  Perhaps he would be agreeable to a phone consult with your physican(s).

If I think of any other info I will post.  Best wishes.

Martha 

Liver Mets

Hello Martha - thank you for responding - I will keep this info for future reference.  Yes, I am referring to myself.  I am an 11yr survivor of AC and just now was diagnosed with Mets.  Have not had my cancer appt yet, but would very much have liked to correspond with someone who has had a similar diagnosis, and possibly discuss their treatment options.  Best to you.  Were you a member of the AC Yahoo Health Group at one time?

• mp327
    Bellen

Again, I am very sorry to hear of your situation.  As someone who will be an 8-year survivor next month, this is quite disconcerting.  I am presuming that you have had biopsy to confirm that this is, indeed, mets from the AC and not a new primary cancer.  It is just hard to wrap my brain around someone having mets after such a long period of time since treatment.  If I were in your situation, I would be contacting Dr. Eng at MD Anderson in Houston.  She seems to be the leading physician in the U.S. for treating metastatic anal cancer.  I have met her at a conference at which I spoke and she seems quite dedicated to her patients.  At the very least, I would ask my local physicians about doing a phone consultation with her.  There are also clinical trials that may be an option for you, so you may want to do a search on those.

I honestly don't remember joining the Yahoo group, but I might have at one time.  I am on 3 support sites, including this one, and it's about all I can handle.  I am also active in my local hospital's online support group. 

I wish you all the best and as I said above, if I can come up with any more information to help you, I will definitely post.  Take care and keep us updated on your status.

Martha

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Bellen......

Hi, I am sorry for this new challenge you are facing and can only imagine how difficult this must be after 11 years.  I cannot speak about liver mets but I was initially dx with Stage3b anal cancer about 5 1/2 years ago and at 4 years post treatment was dx with mets to my lung of the anal cancer as confirmed through biopsy. The mass was large but contained in my left lower lobe. Treatment involved removal of that lobe (thoracotomy) followed by Cisplatin / 5FU. This is the same chemo combination I had received the first time (along with radiation) but this time the course was longer.

Today I am doing well, but followed closely and for now scanned every 6 months.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for successful treatment once again, please stay in touch.

katheryn

• Bellen
    mp327 said:

Bellen

Again, I am very sorry to hear of your situation.  As someone who will be an 8-year survivor next month, this is quite disconcerting.  I am presuming that you have had biopsy to confirm that this is, indeed, mets from the AC and not a new primary cancer.  It is just hard to wrap my brain around someone having mets after such a long period of time since treatment.  If I were in your situation, I would be contacting Dr. Eng at MD Anderson in Houston.  She seems to be the leading physician in the U.S. for treating metastatic anal cancer.  I have met her at a conference at which I spoke and she seems quite dedicated to her patients.  At the very least, I would ask my local physicians about doing a phone consultation with her.  There are also clinical trials that may be an option for you, so you may want to do a search on those.

I honestly don't remember joining the Yahoo group, but I might have at one time.  I am on 3 support sites, including this one, and it's about all I can handle.  I am also active in my local hospital's online support group. 

I wish you all the best and as I said above, if I can come up with any more information to help you, I will definitely post.  Take care and keep us updated on your status.

Martha

Liver Mets

Yes Martha this diagnosis is disconcerting, as it has been so long.  The biopsy says adenocarcinoma and reports that it is metastatic, but I have not had my appt at the Cancer Clinic and of course I have a lot of questions.  I was hoping that I might hear from others with similar diagnosis, and learn what treatment was offered or given.  I am Canadian, but I will keep Dr Eng in mind - MD Anderson is so renowned. Thank you again for your input. If you can think of anyone who has been diagnosed with Mets, I would so appreciate corresponding with them.  

• Bellen
    eihtak said:

Bellen......

Hi, I am sorry for this new challenge you are facing and can only imagine how difficult this must be after 11 years.  I cannot speak about liver mets but I was initially dx with Stage3b anal cancer about 5 1/2 years ago and at 4 years post treatment was dx with mets to my lung of the anal cancer as confirmed through biopsy. The mass was large but contained in my left lower lobe. Treatment involved removal of that lobe (thoracotomy) followed by Cisplatin / 5FU. This is the same chemo combination I had received the first time (along with radiation) but this time the course was longer.

Today I am doing well, but followed closely and for now scanned every 6 months.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for successful treatment once again, please stay in touch.

katheryn

Liver Mets

Hello Katheryn - My CT scan mentions several lesions in the right lobe of liver - had biopsy done, and confirms adenocarcinoma metastasis. Waiting for Cancer Clinic Appt and will find out more then. Was just hoping I could find out what treatment anyone else may have had - while waiting.  Wishing you all the best and hoping you continue with positive news.  

• mp327
    Bellen

This has really gotten my attention, now that you have mentioned that the biopsy shows adenocarcinoma.  Was that the type of anal cancer you had?  As you probably know, the majority of  anal cancer cases are squamous cell.

Martha

• Bellen
    edited August 2016 #9
    mp327 said:

Bellen

This has really gotten my attention, now that you have mentioned that the biopsy shows adenocarcinoma.  Was that the type of anal cancer you had?  As you probably know, the majority of  anal cancer cases are squamous cell.

Martha

Liver Mets

Hi Martha - I believe mine was squamous cell.  I do have further questions about the biopsy report - it says metastatic adenocarcinoma. Will ask for clarification when get cancer clinic appt. Confusing to me also, but there's no one to ask until I get an appt.

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited August 2016 #10
    Bellen said:

Liver Mets

Hi Martha - I believe mine was squamous cell.  I do have further questions about the biopsy report - it says metastatic adenocarcinoma. Will ask for clarification when get cancer clinic appt. Confusing to me also, but there's no one to ask until I get an appt.

Bellen

I am sorry for your dx of liver mets.  Like you have said after so long.  I had anal cancer Stage II NOMO and completed tx on 6-30-09, and a year later a nodule was found in my lung with was removed on 9-23-10.  The anal cancer was squamous and had hpv in it, the lung cancer was squamous and had no hpv, therefore they ruled the lung as a new primary.  I was a 35 year smoker and squamous cell lung cancer is very common in smokers.  I quit smoking on 5-4-09 before the anal cancer tx.  I wish you well, and keep us posted. Lori

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    I was diagnosed with stage 4,

I was diagnosed with stage 4, mets in lymph nodes and liver, in 2011.  I just had my last ct scan (hopefully forever).  I had the usual chemo/radiation treatment and a liver resection. I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers

• Bellen
    edited August 2016 #12
    horsepad said:

I was diagnosed with stage 4,

I was diagnosed with stage 4, mets in lymph nodes and liver, in 2011.  I just had my last ct scan (hopefully forever).  I had the usual chemo/radiation treatment and a liver resection. I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers

Liver mets

Hello - I wonder if I could ask you a number of questions pertaining to your treatment. I am still waiting for my cancer clinic appt, but have not heard very reassuring news from my former Surgeon.  I'm assuming my mets may be via lymph nodes also.  I have not had much response on my email in terms of similar mets.  Would so appreciate it if I could ask you some questions.

• Bellen
    Lover mets

Hello - In my last post I was hoping that I might correspond with "horsepad" who posted on Aug 9 that they had mets to lymph nodes and liver in 2011.  I may not have made that clear in my previous post, as I am not used to posting yet.  If you would be willing "horsepad" to tell me more about your treatment, I would be very grateful.

• tallorder5793
    tallorder5793 Member Posts: 67
    Liver met

Diagnosed anal cancer in March 2014 w. mets to liver. I did almost a year of taxol/carboplatin/avastin combination every three weeks. In February 2015 I was told NED or no evidence of disease in liver. A few months later, unfortunately, mets reappeared in liver. I started chemo combination again. In December 2015, due to chemo resistance, I stopped this treatment. In January 2016, I started erbitux/gemzar combination. Alas, due to lack of response, I stopped in June 2016. I am currently in immunotherapy.

From long experience, I've found very few advanced stage patients via this site. If you are looking for phone support, I would try the anal cancer foundation in Nyc.

• Bellen

Liver met

Diagnosed anal cancer in March 2014 w. mets to liver. I did almost a year of taxol/carboplatin/avastin combination every three weeks. In February 2015 I was told NED or no evidence of disease in liver. A few months later, unfortunately, mets reappeared in liver. I started chemo combination again. In December 2015, due to chemo resistance, I stopped this treatment. In January 2016, I started erbitux/gemzar combination. Alas, due to lack of response, I stopped in June 2016. I am currently in immunotherapy.

From long experience, I've found very few advanced stage patients via this site. If you are looking for phone support, I would try the anal cancer foundation in Nyc.

Liver met

Thank you for responding. Hoping the Immunotherapy shows some promise, although I am not familiar with this.  Would you mind telling me whether you lost your hair during your chemo?  And was chemoembolization a possible treatment - my friend has primary liver cancer and has had this over past two years. Not sure if this is a possible treatment when there is metastasis.  Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes.

• eihtak
    edited September 2016 #16
    Bellen said:

Liver met

Thank you for responding. Hoping the Immunotherapy shows some promise, although I am not familiar with this.  Would you mind telling me whether you lost your hair during your chemo?  And was chemoembolization a possible treatment - my friend has primary liver cancer and has had this over past two years. Not sure if this is a possible treatment when there is metastasis.  Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes.

Bellen...............

Hi, I just thought it may be of interest to you to know that according to this article, chemoembolization is sometimes used for mets as well as primary liver cancer.....may be worth further checking....

Chemoembolization

Chemoembolization delivers chemotherapy drugs directly to a tumor, while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues. This delivery method minimizes side effects, like nausea and vomiting, and maximizes the cancer-killing properties of the drugs.

During chemoembolization, chemotherapy is injected through a catheter directly into a tumor using image guidance. The chemotherapy drugs are mixed with particles, called microspheres, which block the flow of blood to the tumor. Without a blood supply, the tumor no longer has the oxygen and nutrients it needs to grow.

Chemoembolization allows high doses of chemotherapy drugs to be targeted directly to the cancerous tissue for a longer period of time, without exposing the entire body to the effect of the drugs.

This method of chemotherapy is primarily used for the treatment of liver cancer, and may also be used for the treatment of cancers that have spread to the liver.

http://www.cancercenter.com/treatments/chemoembolization/?source=BNGPS01&channel=paid+search&invsrc=Non_Branded_Paid_Search_Bing_General_Search&utm_device=c&utm_budget=Corporate&utm_site=BING&utm_campaign=Non+Brand>Treatments&utm_adgroup=Chemotherapy>Chemoembolization>Exact&utm_term=chemoembolization&utm_matchtype=e&k_clickid=2075be73-dc65-4a96-9efb-a7a0cc2229c4&k_profid=422&k_kwid=70366

katheryn

• eihtak
    eihtak said:

Bellen...............

Hi, I just thought it may be of interest to you to know that according to this article, chemoembolization is sometimes used for mets as well as primary liver cancer.....may be worth further checking....

Chemoembolization

Chemoembolization delivers chemotherapy drugs directly to a tumor, while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues. This delivery method minimizes side effects, like nausea and vomiting, and maximizes the cancer-killing properties of the drugs.

During chemoembolization, chemotherapy is injected through a catheter directly into a tumor using image guidance. The chemotherapy drugs are mixed with particles, called microspheres, which block the flow of blood to the tumor. Without a blood supply, the tumor no longer has the oxygen and nutrients it needs to grow.

Chemoembolization allows high doses of chemotherapy drugs to be targeted directly to the cancerous tissue for a longer period of time, without exposing the entire body to the effect of the drugs.

This method of chemotherapy is primarily used for the treatment of liver cancer, and may also be used for the treatment of cancers that have spread to the liver.

http://www.cancercenter.com/treatments/chemoembolization/?source=BNGPS01&channel=paid+search&invsrc=Non_Branded_Paid_Search_Bing_General_Search&utm_device=c&utm_budget=Corporate&utm_site=BING&utm_campaign=Non+Brand>Treatments&utm_adgroup=Chemotherapy>Chemoembolization>Exact&utm_term=chemoembolization&utm_matchtype=e&k_clickid=2075be73-dc65-4a96-9efb-a7a0cc2229c4&k_profid=422&k_kwid=70366

katheryn

Bellen......

Hi, sorry for the format on previous post.....don't know for sure what happened??????

• tallorder5793
    tallorder5793 Member Posts: 67
    Bellen said:

Liver met

liver met

I did not lose my hair with any of these drugs. In my case, liver is considered inoperable and beyond chemoembolization treatment. If you haven't looked at this site, try https://www.beatlivertumors.org.

• Bellen
    edited September 2016 #19
    Liver mets

Tallorder - could you tell us a bit about your newest treatment - immunotherapy.  Thank you.  Had my colonoscopy today and dr believes my liver mets are of a colorectal origin - had squamous cell anal cancer.  So this is a new cancer that has metastasized to my liver. Port in Wed and start chemo next week - I think folfuri chemo cocktail plus avastin.