Post mastectomy question

Options
Kiki2016
Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31

I had a double mastectomy with insertion of expanders on Tuesday 7/26.   I was in the hospital one night so have been home since Wed.  The first day I had about 60ml of fluid in each drain but this morning it is already down to 20ml in one and 30ml in another.  

I would have thought it would be a few more days before the amount dropped that long.  Also, both my breasts are warm to the touch.

i don't have a fever, chills, etc. I called the plastic surgeon in call and she said it all sounds normal and as long as I don't have a fever, chills, or redness at the drain insertion site all is ok.  She did ask if I have swelling and honestly how would I know if it were abnormal swelling?  My breasts are black and blue from the surgery and my breasts look full but I thought it was due to the expanders?

Any advice?

Comments

• Kim e
    Kim e Member Posts: 2
    Options
    i had four drains and two of

i had four drains and two of them put out very little the entire time they were in place.  i did have some swelling but the surgeon said this wasn't uncommon.  eventually my body reabsorbed it all with no problem. congrats on your new ones!!! i had bil mast in apr and still dont have reconstruction Frown

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    My output varied a little bit

My output varied a little bit for the first few days...sometimes when I checked I would have very little and sometimes quite a bit. In the mornings I would have a lot and it slowed down by evening. I don't remember being bruised after my surgery much but I was a little swollen. I think if you are worried about anything, you should call the PS office back and ask them to see you. No sense in being worried and having that anxiety after all that you just went through with the surgery. Hope you are starting to feel better...you didn't mention much pain so I hope that means it's manageable.

Take care.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Post Bilateral Masectomy

Everyone varies.  I drained alot and my doc said, the more you drain the better.  It would go up and down depending on my activity level, which was not very much at first.  I bruised severly from my neck to my belly.  I had swelling for a about a month. 

Tip:  antibacterial soap fights chance of infections.  My dumb nurse did not tell me that or write it on the instructions.  I got infection.