Port being put in this morning

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member

I am nervous about Port being put in.most of you have agreed it's easier in long run.Do you have any advice on it.I would appriatte it.Thanks

Comments

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Port

It doesn't hurt, just a little uncomfortable at first.  It can be used not only for chemo but for other needs where they need to access a vein.  Don't worry!  Much luck, Sharon

• Meme14470
    Meme14470 Member Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2016 #3
    In my opinion everyone

In my opinion everyone needing IV chemo should get a port, it realy does not interfere with any of your daily life!  Dont be nervous about the insertion surgery either, it is minimally painful and heals quickly, you wont even know its there!  

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Having a Port

There is no doubt in my mind that having a port is the way to go when faced with having chemo, blood draws and IV fluids. Getting it put in was not a big deal but if you've never had one then it is a bit scary. At first it felt a bit uncomfortable - kind of like my chin was tethered to my chest. That feeling went away in a week or so. Any issues I had with the port were psychological. To me it felt kind of creepy when I would run my fingers over it while I was in the shower. You can shower with it or go swimming. Once my treatment was finished and my doctor cut back on bloodwork then I had it removed. I know some people keep their ports in for several years and have them flushed regularly. Your choice. 

I know you have a tough road ahead but the port will help make the journey just a bit easier. Good luck.

IRENE

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Port placement

Little unnerving and uncomfortable at first, but you get use to it.  Follow docs orders and you will be fine.