My Dad, 13 year survivor may have a reoccurrence

Micheleamw1
Micheleamw1 Member Posts: 9
edited July 2016 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi Everyone, I was active on this forum about 13 years ago (micheleamw) when my dad was diagnosed with Stage IIIC Colon cancer.  He was 59.  No family history, no symptoms -- found during a colonoscopy.  He had a colon resection, and 6 months of chemo...I believe it was Folfox and Avastin (sp?).  He has done amazing well!  About four years ago, he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma which is a rare blood cancer.  He had a bone marrow transplant and has been in a clincal study, and again has done well...until recently.  His blood numbers started going up (including his CEA level) so his doctor ordered a PET scan.  We got the results on Wednesday, and there is a spot on his liver that is 2.2 x 2.0 cm ("suspicious for reoccurrence" from colon cancer), and something on his lungs that looks like infection or inflammation that needs to be checked further.  Further testing/biopies are coming...: (

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited July 2016 #2
    It never ends

The chance of reuccurance is always there, and I am so, so sorry to hear that after all of these years, it seems that the CRC is back.

I wonder if the Multiple Myeloma was caused by his previous chemo? Oh well, water under the bridge. I'm glad he got that one under control.

I wish him luck with his upcoming tests. I will also say welcome back, though it is sad that you have to come revisiting. 

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited July 2016 #3
    Best wishes

I hope that your Dad's issues can be treated successfully. I am out over 181/2 years from stage 3c and it never gets any easier. You always feel that the further you get from the original cancer the closer you must be to the next. Hugs ron.

• Micheleamw1
    Trubrit said:

It never ends

The chance of reuccurance is always there, and I am so, so sorry to hear that after all of these years, it seems that the CRC is back.

I wonder if the Multiple Myeloma was caused by his previous chemo? Oh well, water under the bridge. I'm glad he got that one under control.

I wish him luck with his upcoming tests. I will also say welcome back, though it is sad that you have to come revisiting. 

Thank you Trubrit

Thank you Trubrit, Not really sure what caused the myeloma, but they believe it is becoming active again too.  We've got to find out what was on the scan before they move to a different treatment for the myeloma.  This forum was a huge blessing to me and got me through some of my darkest days.

• Micheleamw1
    ron50 said:

Best wishes

I hope that your Dad's issues can be treated successfully. I am out over 181/2 years from stage 3c and it never gets any easier. You always feel that the further you get from the original cancer the closer you must be to the next. Hugs ron.

Thank you Ron50

Thank you for the well wishes and congratulations on being 18 1/2 years out -- that is so wonderful!!!! Oh, and thank you for the hug...I can certainly use them.  This was a double wammy and I am a big worrier.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I hope they fix your dad up

I hope they fix your dad up quick, that the lung stuff is nothing, and he's back to normal living soon. As much as I want to give you all the support I can, your dads story does give me pause. I was IIIb in 07 with surgery and Folfox, and then two reoccurances in the liver. My cea never really went down until after the last surgery, almost two years ago. That a man can have nine years of clear tests and have this pop up again, really speaks to how insidious this crap is. I wonder if they feel that compromising his immune system during the MM treatment opened the door to this reoccurance? Your dad's in my thoughts, and I look forward to hearing things are improving with him.............................Dave

• Micheleamw1

I hope they fix your dad up

I hope they fix your dad up quick, that the lung stuff is nothing, and he's back to normal living soon. As much as I want to give you all the support I can, your dads story does give me pause. I was IIIb in 07 with surgery and Folfox, and then two reoccurances in the liver. My cea never really went down until after the last surgery, almost two years ago. That a man can have nine years of clear tests and have this pop up again, really speaks to how insidious this crap is. I wonder if they feel that compromising his immune system during the MM treatment opened the door to this reoccurance? Your dad's in my thoughts, and I look forward to hearing things are improving with him.............................Dave

Thank you Dave

Thank you so much Dave.  Praying that it's not a reoccurrence as dealing with the MM is a monster by itself.  I will keep y'all posted.    Best, Michele

• Micheleamw1
    I just realized that I listed the wrong chemo regimen

...that my dad took.  He did not take Avastin as I orginally posted.  It was Folfox and Oxaliplatin.  Best, Michele 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

I just realized that I listed the wrong chemo regimen

...that my dad took.  He did not take Avastin as I orginally posted.  It was Folfox and Oxaliplatin.  Best, Michele 

cancer

I've been NED for 6 years,but your dad is proof that One never knows when dealing with cancer!!! Hope all works out for you both.

• Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    so sorry to hear about a

so sorry to hear about a recurrence. Cancer is such a horible disease. Wishing you well.