Done ... But far from over!

Fritz
Fritz Member Posts: 106

Been a few weeks since I have posted to this board.  Last few weeks have been a little rough.

I had my last Cisplatin dosage on 7/7/16 and it nailed me.  The day after that dosage, it became very difficult for me to swallow effectively as the mucous seemed to have tripled in my entire oral cavity. My last radiation (# 33) was on Friday, 7/15/16 and by then, along with the increased mucous, my water intake and calorie intake had suffered somewhat.  However, at the end of this horrific experience I only experienced a net loss of 3 pounds without use of a feeding tube.  And I contribute that overall weight loss to more dehydration as that last week of mucous and related pain, caused me to get somewhat dehydrated. The chemo staff, however, helped with that as they provided fluid infusions 3 days during that last week to keep me better hydrated.

The first week of recovery has been challenging as the mucous is still very thick and when it does thin, the underlying tissue is very raw. I tend to spit out a lot of bloody mucous during the day. Seem to be tired much of the time and have continued to work from home. Still a lot of pain in swallowing so on a liquid diet with a try at solids every now and again. I did eat a peach slice one night and a pear halve another and the good thing about each is that each did taste as they should. Chocolate protein shakes taste like chocolate, Banana popsicle tastes like banana and Vanilla Boost taste like vanilla.  Hope that is a good sign about taste a I start back down the road of eating solids again.

Anyway, as I have said before, I thank all those on this site that have shared their experiences. I believe this site allowed me to make it through my treatments much better off than if I had not been a part of the site. All of you have contributed so much to me riding out this horrific experience.  Again, I thank you all!!!!

If I can help anyone at all, please feel free to ask me questions and I will try my best to provide any guidance I can.

Freddie

Comments

• cardoza33
    cardoza33 Member Posts: 81
    Congrats

It is awesome that you finished treatments.  Now you can concentrate on recovery without going to the cancer center every day.  I will admit, things did not get better for a long time, often I thought they would not get better and my case was unusual.  But learning from people here and a couple of people I talked to throughout the process who went throug this....its a long haul but things slowly get better.  Keep that positive attitude and in a few months you will have a semi normal life back.  Good luck!!

• Fritz
    edited July 2016 #3
    Thanks, Cardoza!

Thanks. I am so ready to get to my "new Normal" and move on from this nightmare! I too hope you prgress well as you continue to recover.

Freddie

• Kari2007
    Kari2007 Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2016 #4
    Very impressive

Freddie, it sounds like you're doing very well despite a rough landing at the end. I just finished up my second cisplatin and am already dreading my final one early next month. I'm excited that you can taste a few things and that they taste as they should. Gives me hope that my "new normal" will return when this is all over, as well. I'm getting tired of tasting nothing. Keep us posted on your recovery and congrats on making it this far!

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    Congrats

Congratulations Freddie!  You did it!  Now you can concentrate on the healing part.  I have 3 weeks 1 day left of radiation and 1 more cisplatin on August 2.  Today I lost my voice. I can't talk above a whisper!  I know the 3rd cisplatin is going to be hard, as the 2nd hit me harder than the 1st.  Again. Congratulations on completing treatment!

Joanne

• Fritz
    edited July 2016 #6
    Thanks Kari and Joanne!

Thank you for your support!!

I hope you last Cisplatin is not quite so devestating; but, I wanted you to be prepared just in case. I too lost my voice after that last Cisplatin and still am very hoarse for the most part. I can carry on a conversation for about 5 minutes at most before the voice begins to fail again. Just figure that is going to take time as the mucous and rawness recede some.

Yeah, I am pleased about my little efforts at taste thus far. I do not want to celebrate too soon as my taste still may leave me as the healing process continues; however, I am hoping!!!

Good luck to both of you as you get into your final stretch. It may get painful over the next few days/weeks; but, just hang in there. You too when be done with the treatments and on your way to recovery.

Freddie.