Pain level with double mastectomy

Kiki2016
Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31

my surgery is coming up in a week.  I don't know what to expect in terms of pain level post-op (having double mastectomy).  I know I'll get pain meds but hate taking pills.  Is the pain level significant and how long does it last?

thanks!!

Comments

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    I had a unilateral, but it

I had a unilateral, but it wasn't bad. I did take some pain pills, but not as much as I expected. I talked to friends who had bilateral and they concurred, although theirs was certainly worse than mine. But surprisingly not too terrible.

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    I'm sure it's different for

I'm sure it's different for everyone but aside from the first few days everything was not terrible. I will say my first few days were really hard...I get sick pretty easy and the medication did a number on me. Once I was off the really intense pain meds I was much better...much better. I didn't take much medication after the first week and then only at night to help me sleep better. It was more uncomfortable than painful I thought. I was up and out and mobile as soon as I got home from the hospital...just taking it easy and going for short walks and trips to school to pick up my daughter. Good luck to you. Just take it day by day.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    I had a double mastectomy and

I had a double mastectomy and do not recall needing to take pain pills after I got home, although I did have a prescription if I needed to pick up something.  I have wondered if the manageable pain was due to the fact that the area all along my scar was numb -- still is 4+ years later.  One thing that was an added help for my comfort was (1) a friend had given me a small, heart-shaped pilllow I could put under my arm, and (2) rather than sleep in bed, for awhile I slept in the recliner chair.  I don't recall having problems sleeping.  More of my challenge was the tightness due to the cut muscles and stitching together.  Eventually that disappeared.

• Fromnytovegas
    Fromnytovegas Member Posts: 9
    I will be having a double

I will be having a double mastectomy very soon also. I am terrified......

• LisR
    LisR Member Posts: 11
    Will your surgery include lymph node dissection?

I had a unilateral mastectomy with lymph node dissection 6 weeks ago now and did really well the first week.  The area of the main scar is numb with a little sensitivity above and below it.  It is healing really well.  However, the area where the lymph nodes were removed still feels tight and sore with a burning, pulsing type pain.  Not intolerable, but relentless.  I usually tend to heal quickly.  Sure, I'm getting older, but it still surprises me that 6 weeks later I still have this nagging irritant.  I swim 3 days/week in a 50 meter pool, and that gives me great reprieve, plus it keeps my range of motion in top form even with the tightness.   Do start the arm exercises they give you to do immediately after surgery, the next day even... not to the point of where you feel it is painful to do, but your range of motion will be very much limited if you are not diligent. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Of course we are all

Of course we are all different.  I had double and did need pain meds, it was painful for me and as soon as I could I came off them, as long as you stop them when ready then it's fine, only temporary.  They will supply you but I needed about a weeks more than given and had no issues.  Please don't worry too much.  Just pickup the phone and ask your 'team' or us if you need info or help.

• Kfish
    Kfish Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016 #8
    3 months past bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction

i had skin and nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on 4/28/2016.   the drains were the most uncomfortable part of the surgery. I limited my activity to help reduce drainage and they were removed 10 days after surgery. I was then able to return to daily walks (6,000 steps to start but quickly got up to 10,000 steps daily. I started working full time after 3 weeks from home (financial analysis on a PC). The expanders were also very rigid and I was anxious to have them replaced with softer implants. 

I had 2 fills of expanders to reach pre-surgery size. My surgeon and oncologist agreed to complete the reconstruction before starting chemo. Reconstruction completed 6/20 as outpatient. I was off work 2 days only.  I sailed thru the surgery very easily and am completely back to my normal activities and strength  it is possible but you do have to do the stretching exercises, work on range of motion and listen to your body. 

I am ER+/PR+/HER2+. Oncologist recommended ACTH which will be a 15 month journey. Started AC on 7/6. Will have 4 treatments every 3 weeks. 2nd of 4 treatments will be this week. Then I will start taxol and herceptin weekly for 12 weeks. After those 24 weeks of chemo, I will receive herceptin only every 3 weeks for 9 more months completing treatment in September 2017 if all goes well and no interruption to schedule. 

On day 15 after first chemo, my hair started shedding when I washed it that morning. The shedding has continued and my hair is much thinner 6 days later but still there but falling fast. I'm prepared with a wig, scarves, ball caps and hats friends have donated to me. I'll have to figure out how to get comfortable with the change in appearance but this too shall pass. Take it 1 day at a time, listen to your body and help it stay strong. Eat healthy, be active, rest when you need to and keep a positive attitude. 

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    edited July 2016 #9
    I had a double mastectomy

I had a double mastectomy with node removal with no reconstruction and I was in severe pain! I still have pain issues even 4.5 years later. I could hardly move, walk, get up by myself. Had to sleep in the recliner for days. It was awful.

I would say be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

• Kim e
    Kim e Member Posts: 2

I will be having a double

I will be having a double mastectomy very soon also. I am terrified......

i just had my bil mast in apr
    i just had my bil mast in apr. i too was terrified. the pain is not bad. the drains are more inconvenient than painful. i didn't need much as far as pain meds when i got home, but i needed muscle relaxer due to muscle spasms. what surprised me is the numbness, which they did not prepare me for. i have no feeling from the top/front of my armpits to the upper part of where my breasts once were. the doctor said the feeling could return within a year or be permanent. that is disappointing but better than having cancer i suppose. i was back to work after four weeks full time as an RN on a very busy surgery floor and have had no problems. after the drains are removed, you may still have some fluid build up but eventually your body will reabsorb it. my struggle has been more with my emotions than anything. i was certain in my decision to have bil mast and do not question that decision for one second, however I am now learning to deal with my new physical self and now look forward to reconstruction. it seems like a long daunting road right now, but this is just a speed bump down the road of life. this will seem to be your every thought of every day but it will soon be behind you i promise. god will only give you what he thinks you can handle and evidently he thinks we are BAD ****!!!!! my love and prayers to you........
  • Cathy K
    Cathy K Member Posts: 1
    had bilateral mastectomy 3/22/16

Dear KiKi I hope you are recovering well from your surgery.  I had my bilateral surgery in March of this year opted for no reconstruction.  The pain was not the worse I have ever had and pain medicines helped with the pain I did have.  After the bulbs were removed I felt a lot better.  4 months out I am doing well enough that I am wearing a prosthetic bra with little discomfort.  Please let us know how you are doing.  God bless!

• parrisjacky
    parrisjacky Member Posts: 2
    loss of fingerprints

Has anyone lost their fingerprints during chemo.  I have had Perjeta, herceptin, doxorubicin, carboplatin, cisplatin and adriamyacin.

I use my fingerprint every day at work and it's become a huge problem as my finger tips are so smooth I cannot use them.

I have only seen two cases on line and am wondering if anyone has this symptom.  Thanks

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    bilateral masectomy

Everyone handles surgery and pain differently.  I had to take pain meds for about 5 days post op.  I got an infection and that was awful.  Nerve racking mostly.  Tip:  Dial antibiotic soap and rinse well.  Take your time and dont overdue it.