Flavored water?

Kari2007
Kari2007 Member Posts: 108

Headed into week four of rads and chemo and water tastes pretty salty. Did anyone have any success with flavoring their water to taste better? I'm thinking fruit, but seems unlikely I could taste the difference. I find if I drink cold water it tastes better, but I carry around my water all day and it tends to get down to room temp pretty fast. Any ideas are welcome!

Kari

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    edited July 2016 #2
    cheers

Kari,

No taste?  No kidding.

Just do the best you can.  If cold works for you, have plenty of it at the  ready.  For some reason sweet tea made with nutria-sweet got through to me and that is when a mouth full of sugar meant nothing.

Matt

• Kari2007
    Kari2007 Member Posts: 108
    CivilMatt said:

cheers

Kari,

No taste?  No kidding.

Just do the best you can.  If cold works for you, have plenty of it at the  ready.  For some reason sweet tea made with nutria-sweet got through to me and that is when a mouth full of sugar meant nothing.

Matt

Sweet

Oh yes, I remember your sweet tea recommendation. I will try that! 

Kari

• sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    Water

I carry around aloe water (flavored) everywhere I go. That salty taste ruins everythin doesent it? Any how it tastes great and you are getting your liquids and taking care of that horrible dry mouth.

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    Yes!!

I was just saying to my husband how salty water tastes!  Will try the sweet tea.  Also, I've been drinking ginger tea as it helps with the nausea.

Joanne

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    I had to drink cold water,

I had to drink cold water, room temperature black or green tea (not piping hot) and lots of

coconut water, but very cold.  Sometimes I drank unsweetened soy milk for the added protein.  That salty taste is really the pits. 

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    edited July 2016 #7
    By the way, the sweeter

By the way, the sweeter something was, I found the salt taste to overpower it.  Very yucky! But this too shall pass...eventually.  

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    edited July 2016 #8
    Memories

This post brings back memories.  After my treatment, I still wasn't eating or drinking, and my potassium was low.  I found a flavored sports drink that had potassium that I could tolerate the flaver (my tastebuds weren't working at the time).  Then, one morning I drank some.  It was the nastiest stuff I ever tasted... But, at least my tastebuds came back.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• Nonni1947
    Nonni1947 Member Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2016 #9
    Water

Hi Kari, 

i was surprised when water tasted  bad, too!   I found flavored sparkling waters (store brands) worked for me.   i'm two months post-treatment, and still drinking sparkling water.  Hope this helps.  Good , fortune and blessings on your journey.