Enough is enough

tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

I just can't tolerate any more of the side effects and have decided to stop taking Xeloda.  Wish me luck, it has got to be better than this.  Hugs J xxxxx

Comments

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2016 #2
    I'm so sorry. I hope they can

I'm so sorry. I hope they can come up with something else for you.

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    It's your decision.  I have

It's your decision.  I have taken nothing for four years and now a total of six years being cancer free.  If it returns it returns I am under no illusions.  I took the decision of quality of life first, it depends on our understanding of what we can cope with or not.  Some can't understand why people don't take what is required to probably keep us well long term.  This is a black and white attitude, life is generally in the grey area.   Looking at a previous post of yours I see you are in a great deal of pain, the pain pump suggested by others sounds like a very good thing to follow through with you cancer team.  Thinking of you.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited July 2016 #4
    hugs and pixie dust

hugs and pixie dust

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Tasha

I'm wishing you luck, and sending you hugs and positive vibes. I know that it was not an easy decision for you to make, but I am positive it was the best decision for you. I have a new prospective on these things  and I feel that whatever decision a person makes it is the right decision for them. I do hope that your pain will cease and the side effects will go away. Love surf

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    edited July 2016 #6
    Hi Tasha

I am so with you on this.  I have quit a few when the s/e outweigh the benefits?  Why do it.  Just saw my doctor and stopped one due to see 100% terrible s/e, , benefits of targeted med 0.  Cancer spread regardless of the meds.  He told me always follow what I know I can stand.  His job is to present the options, with education.  My job is to discuss the info, determine  what i can live with.  Then discuss with him, my decision, and I say why....  he said, you have been thru so much, you live in ur body and the goal for me at this point is solely quality.  Sure I wont want to live another 20 years, that is not my option.  

My option is to live as long as is possible with me being able to function as fully as possible.  Chemo has not been effective and after years of it, we know it is less than 20% effective, yet I should expect 100% negative s/e.  

I am totally in agreement.  If 

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Xeloda treatment

Hi Tasha, I was put on Xeloda 13 months ago after hormonal treatments Tamoxifen, Arimidex, and Faslodex failed me. I am ER+ 95%, Prog - and Her2- My original tumor, found in 2012, was extremely small but I had 1 sentinel node that was positive. Chemo was not recommended, but I had a lumpectomy and radiation. 1 yr + 3 months later BC showed up in my ribs, spine, and pelvis. I do believe that it had metastisized before I had had my surgery, but a bone scan was never done prior. Anyway, my Oncologist has me on Xeloda but adjusts the dosage according to my tumor marker results which I have done monthly. So I don't get the full strength dose that's recommended...3 pills in am + 3 in pm. I started with 2 in am + 2 in pm for 1week on and then had one week off. Now it's been adjusted again to 2 pills in am + 1 in pm for 3 1/2 days  on and then 3 1/2 days off. So far it's been tolerable for me. I don't know what kind of dosage your doctor gave you, but it's all adjustable. My Oncologist told me that should the Xeloda stop working he has "many other drugs in his bag of tricks." So, don't get discouraged. One girl I was talking to could only take the Xeloda for 2 days. It didn't agree with her at all. But there are other drugs out there and new ones coming out all the time. We must stay positive, as hard as that can be. I went for a 2nd opinion at Dana Farber in Boston and was told that my prognosis was unknown but to eat nutrionally and to stay active. That's what I'm trying to do! I also do visualization and meditation and feel that that is a big help. Good luck with your new treatment plan. Don't give up!  Kats2