Need advice hysterectomy follow up

Options
janaes
janaes Member Posts: 799 Member

I need some advice.  So I had my  6 week check up after my hysterectamy in the middle of june.  I could tell by how i felt that I wasnt totally healed and when the doctor examained me  she agrreed i wasnt all the way healed.  I dont know exactly what wasnt healed but she said something about a cup.  We got busy talking about my cancer and ran out of time.  All she said to me as i left was she wanted to see me in two weeks.  i got it sceduled for i think it was a few days after two weeks.  Well  i started feeling alot better within the two weeks and i never got a remender text the day before and really was counting on that text because i had forgotten when the appointment really was.  Any ways i didnt go.  Well yesterday i was feeling a little discomfort in the area of my surgery.  So today i went over to her office to sign a paper for my insurance and decided to make an appointment to see her.   I wasnt able to get an appointment until Augast 5th.  I dont know if i want to wait that long esspecially if im goung back to work 5 days after that.  She is the doctor who did mt surgery and trust her but am wondering if i should see another doctor so i can get in sooner.  What do you guys think i should do?  should i go to my primary care doctor.  I do trust her.She was the one who put a mirana (IUD) in for me a few years back.  At leaste iwould have some info or i could see if there was a different gynologist who could see me.

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Hey Janae, I think what your

Hey Janae, I think what your surgeon was looking at was your vaginal cuff. That is the actual surgery line where they put the sutures to close off the other end of your vagina once all of the other parts were removed.

If you are nervous about the healing and can't get into see the surgeon, by all means please go see your primary care doctor. There is no reason for you to worry for weeks.  In my opinion, you should still see your surgeon in August as well.

Take care and don't push yourself too hard!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Janae,

Janae,

In situations like this I often call the doctor's office and ask to "leave a message for Doctor So-and-so or her nurse," and then leave a voicemail message (or occasionally get to speak to the nurse right away) explaining why I'm concerned. I know a lot depends on the setup in a particular office, but most doctors have a nurse who acts as their assistant and handles questions from patients--more so than receptionists do. They will get an answer from the doctor. If they think it's important for you to come in sooner, they'll make time for you.

I was surprised at how long the discomfort lingered around my hysterectomy incision, but my surgeon basically said that it was all the process of healing going on inside and out, and not to worry about it unless there were signs of infection (fever, drainage). Just in the last two weeks that has mostly gone away (my surgery was 9 weeks ago), but I still get twinges of discomfort now and then.

I hope you find a good solution.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited July 2016 #4
    Options
    Thannk you very much becca

Thannk you very much becca and cindi.  That makes sence about the vaginal cuff and thankyou for the information. It helps me understand that Cindi.  I really appreciate both of you for the options you gave me and becca for sharing what you did in that situation.