Finally, some relief and comfort!

LisR
LisR Member Posts: 11

My mastectomy and sentinel node surgery was on June 14 and I have had that awful 24/7 sensitivity and burning pain sensation since a few days after the surgery.  I went from taking no pain medication to starting up again with Aleve, but that did little to relieve the symptoms.  Might have taken the edge off slightly, but not enough for any real sense of relief.  

I was afraid to touch my scar because it was so sensitive but then I discovered that once I did touch it, I could 'desensitize' it by gently massaging the area.  That would provide an hour or so of more tolerable conditions.  Now, any time day or night that I am uncomfortable, I massage the entire incision area, especially the site of the node surgery which is most painful. 

The other day I got a present in the mail.  My dear younger sister sent me a care package which included one of those bean/rice packs that you can either put in the freezer or in the microwave to use as a cold or warm pack.   This one is scented with stress-relieving herbs and is about 2 feet long so it can be used like a body wrap or folded over to conform to whatever area you need.  Someone on this breast cancer forum mentioned that a heat pack worked for her, and that is what I tried.  I put it in the microwave for under 2 minutes and then lie down and tuck it under my arm and across my chest and arrange it so it covers the entire problematic area all at once.   Oh my... heaven!  Now I can't wait to lie down every afternoon with my 'warm, scented, body hug'.  It provides such a comfort and the whole time it is on me, there is no itchy or burning pain. Smile  My husband calls it going to my happy place!