Omg, my poor anus

Options
awsmGirl
awsmGirl Member Posts: 38

Sorry yall, this one is NOT pretty.  With both rounds, i have had _terrible guts_: grinding, cramping, "diarrhea NOW!" only practically nothing comes out...  

Have discovered Depends pull-ups, which are a godsend and allow me to at least have a little dignity.  Rarely do they get soiled at all, but i must admit that at 3-4am, when i have gotten up to the bathroom every 45min-hour all night, i have just leaked that ounce or 2 of urine, out of sheer exhaustion and no longer giving a ####.  It's gross, but it's also a relief.  I know hygiene is *important, but just having another 30min of half-sleep seems worth it, as it's wicked away from my skin.

They've added Ativan to calm the system and it helps somewhat, but my poor anus is a wreck.  Tender, swollen, just _hurts_.  And until this distress runs its course, i'm stuck with it.  

If anyone has any help to offer, I'd sure appreciate it.

Not so awsm Bung!  :'(

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2016 #2
    Options
    Ouch!

I had T/C and for about 4 days my bottom would become raw and itchy.  I mentioned it to the MO when I went for treatment, but he felt it was  NOT chemo related.  Funny how it only happened for 4 days after each treatment!

I actually used Desitin to try to relieve the pain.  For me it helped, along with getting in the shower and holding the   Water right on the spot.  Probably soaking in a tub would have been better, but at 2 am I tried to be considerate of the rest of the family and only used my shower.

I would have to say that was the worst SE I had.  At least it became predictable and by day 3 after my chemo I was regularly putting on the Desitin from days 3-8.

Kathy

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear, I can relate

sorry to hear, I can relate in differnt way I have Colitis-and when flared up it's 24/ 7 urgency or uncontrolable.

Denise

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Anti-diarrheal

I had a very similar experience with Taxotere and Cytoxin and I agree - just having that security of wearing a Depends was a Godsend.  They are not as bulky as I imagined and I never left home without wearing one.   My oncologist gave me a rx. for Lomotil but OTC Immodium helped me tremendously and was enough to curb the problem.  And I so understand about the irritation.  I found that protecting the area was very helpful so it would not get irritated in the first place.  I used a lot of vaseline to protect my skin.  And sometimes I would stand in the shower holding the shower head pointed on that area just to urinate because my entire bottom was a mess and it hurt to pee.  And this is enough information sharing . . but I do hope it helps you.

Suzanne

• awsmGirl
    awsmGirl Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2016 #5
    Options
    Thanks to all!

... For understanding and appreciating the TMI, lol!  Sometimes just knowing one is not alone, really helps.  Been applying PrepH, which helps, and just learning to understand and accept this facet of my "New Normal..."

I think it's really important to share even (maybe especially) these difficult, almost taboo subjects.  Who talks about their poo, the sad state of their bum, etc?  And yet, it's valuable to hear that you're not alone, that others have helpful ideas for coping.

Appreciate it so much!

• snmcadams
    snmcadams Member Posts: 2
    Options
    This won't solve your dilema,

This won't solve your dilema, but when my sphincter is bothering me I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste (that really is the name.) It helps heal the soreness.  I get mine at a super walmart, although I'm sure it is available other places, too.

• Sunrunner
    Sunrunner Member Posts: 3
    Options
    aching butt also

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm new to this, sorta!  I'm a nurse, so have seen it from the other side.  Most patients don't confide the intimate details, so I'm so glad to have found all of you!  Butt paste...I remember some of my young moms talking about this. I'll get some.  You'd think with millions spent on research and development they could find something for both butt breakdown and insomnia.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited September 2016 #8
    Options
    Thank you for talking about it!

Baby wipes (dont flush) and Epson Salt bath to soak helps me. 

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you as well -

has tour oncologlist provided you with - a diet to help ?

pleade check in when time permits - 

Vicki Sam

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Apaugh said:

Thank you for talking about it!

Baby wipes (dont flush) and Epson Salt bath to soak helps me. 

Flushable Wipes

Actually some wipes are biodegradable and DO flush. Just make sure you thoroughly read the label so you buy the right type. It is very easy to absent-mindedly toss the non-flushable variety in the toilet. 

IRENE