Post Sentinel Node/mastectomy pains

Options
LisR
LisR Member Posts: 11

My dx was stage 2 invasive lobular carcinoma ER+ PR+ HER2- and I had mastectomy and sentinel node dissection surgery on June 13.  The first week after surgery I was feeling fine, no meds and no real aches and pains from the surgery.  I faithfully did the post surgery exercises for range of motion and during the second week I started to get a horrible 'sensitivity', not really painful but it felt like itchy, sunburn, really annoying to the touch kind of sensation.  Last week, I started getting a throbbing or pulsing pain in addition to the annoying sensitivity and I haven't found anything to help with that.  The most sensitive spot is the site of the sentinel node surgery, which is also a bit swollen.  The pain wraps around to my back and in toward the sternum.  Then, there are the 'zaps'... little shooting pains.  I'm heading back to the surgeon for a follow up tomorrow, but I've been told it is all par for the course... very normal and common issues following lymph node surgery.  Aleve does nothing to alleviate the symptoms.  I really hate to complain and feel very optimistic that I'll get better, but it is scary when it seems to be getting worse and not better.   I see the oncologist for the first time on the 13th of July, she wanted to run the Oncotype DX genomic test on the tumor to help determine whether chemo should be in the treatment mix before the first consult.   Pathology so far, besides what I mentioned above, is that my  little 1 cm tumor that was confirmed before surgery by mammography, ultrasound, and MRI, actually turned out to be 3.8 cm, which is why I am a stage 2.  What have you found to help with the sensitivity and pain?

Comments

• kakennedy
    kakennedy Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2016 #2
    Options
    Hi LisR,

Hi LisR,

I'm actually awake right now because I can't sleep as a result of the anticipation of sentinel node surgery tomorrow (well, actually now, it's today in just a few hours).  I'm hopeful that your surgeon can suggest some pain meds for you.  

I am HER2+ and have currently been staged at 1A.  I am beginning chemo on July 15th for 12 weeks.  Scared but trying to be strong!  Look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Hang in there.

:)

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Zaps

I only had a partial, but I know the little zaps can be monumental when they hit.  That part would be the nerves regenerating.  My surgery was in March and I still experience them now.  As to the throbbing pain, be sure not to be overdoing things.  I found that if I tried to do some of the "normal daily routine" stuff like cleaning and laundry, I would have to watch movements and amount of lifting.  The vacuum cleaner was my worst enemy - the pushing and pulling left me sore.  Be good to yourself.

Kathy

• LisR
    Options
    kakennedy said:

Hi LisR,

Hi LisR,

I'm actually awake right now because I can't sleep as a result of the anticipation of sentinel node surgery tomorrow (well, actually now, it's today in just a few hours).  I'm hopeful that your surgeon can suggest some pain meds for you.  

I am HER2+ and have currently been staged at 1A.  I am beginning chemo on July 15th for 12 weeks.  Scared but trying to be strong!  Look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Hang in there.

:)

My thoughts were with you today!

kakennedy.... I hope your surgery went well and that you will recover quickly.  I was thinking about you today!  The anticipation is sometimes the worst part of any procedure, but hopefully you are doing well tonight and will have a chance to rest.  Hugs!

• LisR
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Zaps

I only had a partial, but I know the little zaps can be monumental when they hit.  That part would be the nerves regenerating.  My surgery was in March and I still experience them now.  As to the throbbing pain, be sure not to be overdoing things.  I found that if I tried to do some of the "normal daily routine" stuff like cleaning and laundry, I would have to watch movements and amount of lifting.  The vacuum cleaner was my worst enemy - the pushing and pulling left me sore.  Be good to yourself.

Kathy

Being a 'good' patient!

It is hard to be a good patient when you are used to 'getting things done'!  Before my surgery, I baked, cooked, cleaned, and got everything squared away as much as possible.  Thank you for the hints!  I'm so sorry you are still experiencing the zaps.  For me, at least this week, the zaps are fortunately infrequent visitiors.  What is miserable is the annoying chafed feeling (the itchy sunburn affect) and that pulsing pain.  It is advised that I wear a jog bra 24/7 for 30 days minimum.  When I can no longer tolerate it overnight, I remove it for an hour or two... but in truth it still does not alleviate that ultra heightened sensitivity in the least, so I may as well keep it on.   I find myself trying to fool my brain into thinking I'm doing something proactive to stop the irritation.  I feel I have a very high pain tolerance and am not usually one to complain.   This, however, is like Chinese water torture... the pain is not intolerable, but the relentlessness of it is!  If it would only stop for a few hours so I can get some rest!  I was to see the surgeon today, but they rescheduled for tomorrow.  Just would like to ensure that everything is as it should be.  If this is what I'm saddled with for a while, I guess I need to figure out a way to deal with it.  Thanks again and I will try hard to take your advice and not overdo.