Hydrating! So hard!

Options
awsmGirl
awsmGirl Member Posts: 38

2nd round of Chemo, currently on Day-5 post-infusion (TAC): i have have NO interest whatsoever in drinking!  Liquids feel like mercury: slimy, metallic, not at all refreshing: actively gross, off-putting, offensive.  Been trying water-ice, a little lemonade crystal light added to water, it's just awful!  My mouth feels wet, not dry, as though I've had plenty to drink, but i know i am not taking in needed ounces!  Gonna try to get a bit of watermelon today, grasping at every straw.  Will also get some more chipped ice.  I am someone who *loves drinking water, I usually awaken and drink-down 16oz, but i am confounded!  Any help is greatly appreciated -- i worry about flushing my system!  Thanks, yall!  

:)

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Fruit helped me

I remember eating all kinds of fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, anything juicy. Sometimes it would taste really nasty, but I usually managed to get some down. I would suggest drinking a little at a time. Always have a glass of water on hand because even 1/2 cup is better than none. If your urine is light-colored you should be doing ok, but check it all out with your doc at your next infusion. Be sure to take naps and rest a lot. Hang in there, chemo doesn't last forever! Hugs, Anna

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!

I remember having the same feelings about water.  I tried a variety of brands.  I finally found that Figi water did not have a metallic taste, and also Aloe water was pretty good.  We have a very good filter system in our home, but it still tasted metallic to me.

like you, I kept drinking because I needed to.  Also be careful about constipation - so many issues, it's like a domino effect.  At least it is summer and there are plenty of fresh fruits available!

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Try popsicles and jell-o

Popsicles, or any frozen fruit bar you like, are another good way to get some fluids.  My chemo nurses recommended them to me.  Jell-o is another way to get some fluids.  

And yes, all the summer fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew that are around now are a great way to hydrate.  

Hope these ideas help?

Traci

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Same problem

I always drank lots of water.Now can't stand the taste.I am getting ready for my third chemo treatment.wonder if ici would help.I realized most what I drink is decaf enacted.Which doesn't keep me hydrated.

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    lemon

Watermelon was my go to, I went through an entire watermelon every couple days. I also found that lemon cut the icky taste, so started drinking lemonade.

• awsmGirl
    awsmGirl Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Things that helped

1. Whining.  Ok not really, but yah, a bit.  Sometimes you just hafta b!tch about it!

2. Water ice.  Lifesaver, wow.  

3. Chipped iced.  So, so good.  It's that little bit at a time, the soothing cold (and i think the cold helps deactivate my wonky tastebuds, so i get a better Neutral, non-metal flavor)

4.Lemon.  You guys, lemon added -- i sprinkled a tiny bit of crystal light type powder -- does somehow offset the metal taste.

5. Watermelon. Edible water! This was my transitional, "solid food" when i started to have any interest in intake of anything again. Chilled is best.

6. Time.  Nothing for it, i am gonna have to cope with 5-7days of a mouth lined with slimy, metallic tasting "Mercury," until it eases off.

7. Hydration by Drip.  My Team now knows that i have to come in for 4days after my chemo day, to be hydrated.  It is just a fact of how my body responds, and making use of my medical support team to do _for_ me  what i just plain cannot do for myself.

• punkinpie
    punkinpie Member Posts: 18
    Options
    cucumber water

I sliced a cucumber and put it in a pitcher. You can use the same cucumber for a couple of days. I also found that frozen lime pops tasted really good.

• Kiki2016
    Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2016 #9
    Options
    Another suggestion

hi, I had a very hard time during Chemo with the metallic taste.  I too love to drink water but found it nearly impossible to drink due to the metallic taste.  coconut water helped me.  It also is great to replace electrolytes you may be losing.  I got the single serve organic unsweetened coconut water from Costco but you can find it on just about anywhere these days.  It also helped to drink with plastic straw.