Week one done

Options

Hi Everyone ,Shirley here with my week one report. So I've been pretty tired but it comes and goes. My tongue feels raw like i burnt it and i just today got a metallic taste behind my lower front teeth. Slight pain in the throat. Skin is doing okay as i have been slathering it with the cream i have after rads and before bed. I'm afraid of what's to come. As I have followed those before me. Yikes. See you next week.

Comments

• dygit
    dygit Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

i finished week one last week as well. Sounds like your side effects were similar to me. Are you doing chemo as well? Also, are you using glutamine? Found it to be a huge help with the throat.... 

Had my rad and chemo yesterday and oddly I feel very energized! Maybe it was the McCafe Frappe mocha! Keep us up to date and stay positive.

• SusanUES
    SusanUES Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Good show!!!

Congrats to both of you!  Remember: one day at a time.  It will be tougher sledding ahead but you will make it!!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    one down

Shirley here,

One in the books, pretty tired, tongue feels burnt, metallic taste, pain in throat.  Sounds like H&N side effects.

What’s to come, more of the same, with extras.

Take it one day at a time, one issue at a time.

Keep your team informed on any concern, keep drinking water and swallowing.

See you around,

Matt

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    dygit said:

Congrats!

i finished week one last week as well. Sounds like your side effects were similar to me. Are you doing chemo as well? Also, are you using glutamine? Found it to be a huge help with the throat.... 

Had my rad and chemo yesterday and oddly I feel very energized! Maybe it was the McCafe Frappe mocha! Keep us up to date and stay positive.

Chemo day is ok, watch out for after

My husband also has that energy on chemo day...I think it was because he received Decadron the same day which is a steroid. It helped with the nausea. Day 2 and 3 were harder. Keep in close touch with your team to deal with issues like nausea. Hoping you have minimal side effects!

Barbara

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Gypsy

Cross those treatments off the list! Onward and upward toward the finish. You can do it. It's hard...but the testament of many here will tell you that it's doable and soon you can hear those words "no evidence of disease."

Barbara

• lws
    lws Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2016 #7
    Options
    The Journey

My oral cancer of the tongue with other mouth complications is teaching me how to leant to manage proper food intake and find the nutrition to deal with ummune depletion. I know it is very difficult to move forward and if like me you can become  overwhelmed. "Hang in there!" Become your own health advocate. It's a journey,

• lws
    lws Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2016 #8
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

one down

Shirley here,

One in the books, pretty tired, tongue feels burnt, metallic taste, pain in throat.  Sounds like H&N side effects.

What’s to come, more of the same, with extras.

Take it one day at a time, one issue at a time.

Keep your team informed on any concern, keep drinking water and swallowing.

See you around,

Matt

What We Don't Know?!

Radiation and Chemo are tough enough! What I discovered to be even harder is "what we don't know" which is how to re-energize our health and body during such depleting times. Remain active in your pursuit of how to strengthen your body and provide the restoration essentials it needs during such healing times. It can make a big difference I assure you. Try to stay mentally positive and focused during your healing journey.

• Gypsy28
    Gypsy28 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you all for your feedback. It really helps to know there are people who understand and you are all just a discussion board away. 

• Gypsy28
    Options
    dygit said:

Congrats!

Hey there, I am not doing

Hey there, I am not doing chemo just radiation.  I'm not sure I could handle both. Good luck to you on your journey.  I'm right there along with you.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    One Week Down

One week is under your belt. You can do this! A bit of advice- You don't have to tough it out with every side effect. Let your oncologist or nurse know how you feel so they can help you. This is a tough treatment and there is no shame in asking for help to get through it. 

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Shirley, I was terrified, but

Shirley, I was terrified, but to be honest, it's been bearable so far. It was very helpful to follow Steven.  I'm on week five and almost done with five. Going on to week six next week Wednesday.  I'm still eating solids.  I believe the glutamine gargling helped my throat as well as acupuncture. The discomfort became bearable and dry mouth is more improved this week than earlier weeks.  Don't stop drinking water. Get yourself some coconut water if you can. It's very hydrating.  Try to lose the fear and enjoy other thin so time goes by quickly. I paint,

got myself an adult coloring book, read, watch fhe euro soccer games, rest when I feel fatigued, and I can't live without my smart phone. I have music on it,

games, keep in touch with family and friends, and planning my trip to France in December. You get the idea. Don't think of the taste or the discomfort. My discomfort began the end of second week but got worse in 3rd, began to improve in 4 and amazingly still doing well on 5. Hope this helps. 

• Gypsy28
    Options
    MrsBD said:

One Week Down

One week is under your belt. You can do this! A bit of advice- You don't have to tough it out with every side effect. Let your oncologist or nurse know how you feel so they can help you. This is a tough treatment and there is no shame in asking for help to get through it. 

Thank you. I will

Thank you. I will

• Gypsy28
    Options
    LiseA said:

Shirley, I was terrified, but

Shirley, I was terrified, but to be honest, it's been bearable so far. It was very helpful to follow Steven.  I'm on week five and almost done with five. Going on to week six next week Wednesday.  I'm still eating solids.  I believe the glutamine gargling helped my throat as well as acupuncture. The discomfort became bearable and dry mouth is more improved this week than earlier weeks.  Don't stop drinking water. Get yourself some coconut water if you can. It's very hydrating.  Try to lose the fear and enjoy other thin so time goes by quickly. I paint,

got myself an adult coloring book, read, watch fhe euro soccer games, rest when I feel fatigued, and I can't live without my smart phone. I have music on it,

games, keep in touch with family and friends, and planning my trip to France in December. You get the idea. Don't think of the taste or the discomfort. My discomfort began the end of second week but got worse in 3rd, began to improve in 4 and amazingly still doing well on 5. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the info.

I bought myself some coloring books too! Thanks for your information. I might get some acupunture as well. I have a gift certificate for it. I'm watching Wimbledon. It helps. So glad your hanging in there I'll try to be brave.

• LiseA
    edited July 2016 #15
    Options
    You are brave! Anyone going

You are brave! Anyone going through cancer treatment is brave. It takes guts, sweat and tears. I'll be here to cheer you on. 

• Kari2007
    Kari2007 Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2016 #16
    Options
    Way to go!

Congrats on your first week done! I just finished my first week, too. Only six more to go. We can do it!!

Kari

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2016 #17
    Options
    Tomorrow

After tomorrow's treatment I'll have finished my first week!!   We can do it!!!!

Joanne

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    edited July 2016 #18
    Options
    Hi Shirley

One day at a time one day at a time, if the tongue gets too bad have the doctor prescribe some magic mouth wash, if the skin on the face starts I use raw aloe vera it is very easy to grow and you can get it on e-bay. I have to stay good looking for my wife

Hope that helps

Tim

• LiseA
    Options
    Tim, you made me chuckle :-).

Tim, you made me chuckle :-). 

How are you doing, Joanne?  Gypsy?

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2016 #20
    Options
    2 weeks

Hey Lise! Two weeks down!  I start my 3rd week with round 3 of chemo tomorrow!  Starting to feel effects - but doing good.  One thing..the lymph node has gotten bigger and harder.  Docs keeping a watch on it and if if doesn't get smaller will do a scan.  Cheering you on as you finish you treatment!  You've got this!!

Joanne

• Gypsy28
    Options
    hey there

Hey Lisa and Joanne , I'm hanging in there.  Just finishing week three.  Hope you both are coping well at your stage of treatment.