Fear of cancer after being bitten by it once

Options

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group. I am concerned that I might have uterine cancer. I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago. I am 51 years old and I went 18 months without a period and the wham I had a 10 day period. I have been having lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. I also have extreme fatigue.I also have some discomfort after sex sometimes. I went to the gynecologist and she did a pap and setup an appointment for ultrasounds. The ultrasound showed the uterine stripe at 5mm. The pain has been on the left side and unfortunately they could not see the left ovary. My pap came back atypical glandular cells with endometrial cells. I am scheduled for a endometrial biopsy Wednesday. I guess going through cancer once has made me gun shy. 

Comments

• brissance
    brissance Member Posts: 192
    edited June 2016 #2
    Options
    Absolutely

I absolutely understand.  Even though I am in treatment, every new pain or abnomality, I analyze it, read on it and... wonder.  I am facing the fact that I am a bit apprehensive about finishing chemo as I am afraid of that first 3 months....

I think I am pretty normal.  Fear, concern etc are so normal ...the trick is handling them in a manner which is healthy.  I admit I am worried but I also know I can't change the future.  Reminds me of that old serenity prayer, ""God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."" (something like that.)  Of course your symptoms "could be cancer" but then again they coud be something much more benign.  Take some deep breaths and live.  Cancer is no longer a death sentence...  I heard one of the women call it a chronic disease like lupus or diabetes.  If you have it again, you may not cure it but you can treat it and live a long healthy and happy life.  My prayers are with you.  I am sending good vibes.  

Love you all... Patty

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Hi, Beth

I can't say it any better than Patty did.  That girl has a way with words so I'll just throw in a ditto.  I shall be thinking about you tomorrow.  I was apprehensive about the biopsy procedure but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  When my doc asked me how I was doing, I said ok but to warn me before the bad part.  She said that was done.  i anticipated much worse.  I think the Motrin she had me take before hand must have helped.

The uncertainty was the worst part of this.  She was able to tell me that day that she believed I had cancer so I could start wrapping my head around the whole thing.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Im so glad your here.  No one

Im so glad your here.  No one wants to be here esppecially if its the second time having cancer.  You are in a really good place.  the women on this site have helped me so much.  I wanted to let you know that I had cancer(hodgkins lymphoma) 23 years ago. I thought i was in the clear.  Last april I had a biopsy and they found uterine cancer.  I was so angry especially when I found out I would have to do chemotheropy treatments.  I knew what I was going to have to do and i did not want to do it again. My first experience with cancer although not fun and even unpleasant, emotionally was not so hard.  I just did what I had to do.  I dont want to scare you I just want to let you know that its okay and normal to feal angry to have cancer twice. I was. I  had to really share my pain with other to get to where I am now.  It has helped me to write in my journal.  If you ever want to send me a private message hear you can.  I feel for you and will be thinking of you.

janae

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options
    Beth - this is my second dance with cancer, too.

Beth - this is my second dance with cancer, too. I had a malignant melanoma in 2004. Luckily it was caught early and surgery was the only treatment. I was completely shocked by this second diagnosis - and so was my gynecologist!

If this is indeed a second cancer, you may be catching it early based on your description of the symptoms. As you know, that bodes well for you. Hopefully it is nothing and you can go on about your business. If it is cancer, please know that we are here for you! Kim

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Motrin, Advil, etc

I too have had 2 primary cancers (breast and endometrial).  I have had a few (3 post menopausal and 2 as a young woman) endometrial biopsies in my life.  I was advised to take 800 mg. ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc.) prior to the biopsy for the first of the last 3.  I took the ibuprofen prior to each of the last 3, although no one advised me to.  I knew it was ok and I was not interested in having unnecessary pain.  While not a pleasant experience, it was so much more tolerable than the first 2 - which were honestly ancient history and probably performed with a crow bar (it was 1967, probably should not even mention them).  Good luck tomorrow.  You have every reason to be worried and have come to a good place for support.  Here's hoping the biopsy is benign. 

Suzanne

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited June 2016 #7
    Options
    I'm so sorry, Beth, that you

I'm so sorry, Beth, that you're possibly having to deal with cancer again.  There should be a universal rule that once you have it, you NEVER get it again - kind of like the chicken pox!!!  I had a great gynocologist who gave me three Advil and the pain of the endometrial biopsy was minimal.  

We're here for you if you need us!!

Love,

Eldri

• Bethdaugherty
    Bethdaugherty Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2016 #8
    Options
    Well the biopsy is done. Wasn

Well the biopsy is done. Wasn't as bad as last time. He said it would normally take 48 hours for results but it will take a little longer because of th 4th of july

• Kvdyson
    edited June 2016 #9
    Options

Well the biopsy is done. Wasn

Well the biopsy is done. Wasn't as bad as last time. He said it would normally take 48 hours for results but it will take a little longer because of th 4th of july

Please try to enjoy the long holiday weekend and don't

Beth, please try to enjoy the long holiday weekend and don't think about this. Make it the best, most memorable 4th of July that you've ever had! You deserve it and it's the reason that we all fight so hard. So, have a wonderful holiday and enjoy yourself! Kim

• Bethdaugherty
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful

Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement Kim. God is surrounding me with love and support. I will try my hardest to not think about it this weekend.

• hdjjlss
    hdjjlss Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks for the wonderful

Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement Kim. God is surrounding me with love and support. I will try my hardest to not think about it this weekend.

Endometrial Biopsy

Hi Beth,  Take someone with you when you have the endometrial biopsy.  I've had 2 and the second one was much easier (done by a new doctor).  She had me cough while she was taking the sample.  It seemed to help.  Maybe ask about that.  I hope it turns out okay.

• Bethdaugherty
    Options
    I did take a friend with me

I did take a friend with me and it went well. My husband thought it was weird to have a friend there for that. Guys just see things differently I guess. Hard thing is waiting for results. They told me they should definitely have them by Tuesday but the patient portal says pending on friday now. I have a feeling they sent them to Mayo after looking at them here. They did that with my thyroid biopsy. So it is hard not letting my mind to wander thinking they must have found something. Whatever way it comes out will be God's will and I trust in Him

• TAyers
    TAyers Member Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Praying

i am praying for you Beth, I had my thyroid cancer after my UPSC. Gun shy or not you are on the right track. Praying it's not cancer!

• Bethdaugherty
    Options
    Well praise God the biopsy

Well praise God the biopsy came back negative but they still have more tests to run to see what is going on. Thanks for all the prayers.

• brissance
    Options
    Yay

Yay Team.  :)

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news, Beth

i am happy for you and hope the get to the bottom of things soon.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited July 2016 #17
    Options
    Great news Beth!

Great news Beth!

• Kvdyson
    Options

Well praise God the biopsy

Well praise God the biopsy came back negative but they still have more tests to run to see what is going on. Thanks for all the prayers.

So happy for you!

So happy for you, Beth! Hopefully the doctors can find out what is causing your symptoms quickly and you can get on with more fun and happy things!

• Bethdaugherty
    Options
    Well the next step is a

Well the next step is a colposcopy on the 2nd of august.  Lab work did show blood in my urine.

• brissance
    Options
    Keep the Faith

Positive and good thoughts coming your way...   

Patty