Herceptin after chemo

LindaLuGav
LindaLuGav Member Posts: 1

I was originally diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in October 2015. I completed four rounds of Docetaxel and Cyclophosphamide in March 2016, had lumpectomy in April. Sentinel node biopsy showed no node involvement. On June 1, I started daily radiation (35 treatments in total). Last week I was informed that the pathology of the removed tumor showed that I am not triple negative, but I am HER2positive, and I must now start Herceptin infusions every three weeks for the next year. It was explained to me that it would have been better for me if the HER2-pos diagnosis were known while I was undergoing chemo so I would have had a head start on the Herceptin, but starting it now the only drawback is missing the opportunity to have started Herceptin earlier.  Has any of you ladies experienced receiving Herceptin alone after chemo? 

Thakk you in advance for your comments. 

Lindalu

Comments

• Kiki2016
    Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31
    Getting Herceptin

hi, I am HER2+ and just finished 6 rounds of chemo HTCP so did have Herceptin with all 6 infusions.  Now I am on herceptin only every 3 weeks until end of Feb which will be my 1 year mark.  Had my first Herceptin only infusion yesterday and having a double mastectomy at the end of July then about 6 weeks later 6 1/2 weeks of radiation.  

good luck!

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    I had Herceptin with chemo

That's too bad you didn't start the Herceptin earlier, but since you can't change that now I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a great drug with minimal side effects and a real life saver. It might help you to know how lucky you are to get it. I live in Europe and it was very hard to get it from my HMO every month. My husband actually went begging for it at hospitals in other cities, twice paying a whopping 2,000 euros out of pocket. There are many women (and men) in poorer countries who do not have access to this wonder drug. Best of luck, you'll be done sooner than you think!

• Iris_G
    Iris_G Member Posts: 50 Member
    Still getting Herceptin

Hi LindaLu,

I was diagnosed in July 2015.  At that time I was told I'd only have to have a lumpectomy and radiation, no chemo...until the full pathology reports came back about 6 weeks later.  Turns out I was triple positive for estrogen/progesterone/HER2.  My whole treatment changed.  I had to end up doing chemo (taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin) for 6 treatments starting in October and had my last full treatment on Feb. 24th.  I'm still doing Herceptin and will continue to do so until the end of October.  Be sure that your doctor does periodic echo cardiograms on you (I go every 3 months) since Herceptin could possibly damage the heart.  They say it's very rare, but better safe than sorry!  I have had no issues with doing just the Herceptin.  I love the fact that it can be done in as little as 45 minutes, where with chemo it was a most of the day treatment!  Good luck!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    First Herceptin yesterday
    Yesterday was my first Herceptin treatment. They give you more on the first one. Oh my goodness, I had an awful reaction to that. Flu like symptoms including fever and chills for 3 hours. Today, I am better. Tired but way better. I am hoping the rest are easier as I have to have them for a year. Anyone else do this on the first one?
  • CoastalMom
    CoastalMom Member Posts: 38
    Herceptin

I was dx with Her2+ double neg in July 2015.  I was on the cocktail of TCHP every three week for 6 cycles!!!!  YEA it was very tough.  Surgery, radiation continued herceptin.  I just finished herceptin and the only side effects I've had is,  joint pain and feeling really tired.  That all comes about around the 7th day after treatment.  Keep in mind herceptin stays in your system for 21 days.

• CoastalMom
    CoastalMom Member Posts: 38
    Heart Scan

Yes!  Definitely have either an echo or MUGA scan of your heart.  My oncologist orders the MUGA scan.  That has been ordered every three months since I've been in treatment.  I am having my last one this week.

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2016 #8
    Herceptin

I'm Stage IV, ER/PR/Her2+. Started on Herceptin in December 2014 along with Taxotere. i was supposed to have 6 Taxotere infusions, but had to stop after 4 because of severe side effects. I've continued on the Herceptin every 3 weeks. Because I'm Stage IV, I will be on Herceptin the rest of my life or until it stops working. I have an echocardiogram every 3 months to make sure my heart is doing okay. My LVEF did start dropping last year, but I was put on Losarten, and that corrected it. The only side effects I have are fatigue, some diarrhea, a drippy nose, and joint pain. I'm also on Femera which causes fatigue and joint pain, so I'm not sure if it's the Femera or Herceptin causing those two problems. I pretty much carry on life as usual, just have to go get an infusion every three weeks. Every 9 weeks I also get Zometa because my mets were to bone. Right now I am NED, so I consider these drugs miracle drugs! When I was first diagnosed as Stage IV, I thought I'd be dead in 24 months. I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary and going strong!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Apaugh said:

First Herceptin yesterday
    Yesterday was my first Herceptin treatment. They give you more on the first one. Oh my goodness, I had an awful reaction to that. Flu like symptoms including fever and chills for 3 hours. Today, I am better. Tired but way better. I am hoping the rest are easier as I have to have them for a year. Anyone else do this on the first one?

My mom had a similar reaction on her first treatment.   I'm not sure if it was the combination of nerves and/or the fact that she forgot to eat breakfast that morning.   The next time and all the times thereafter she was fine.   They did give her pepcin prior to her second and third treatments, but after that she didn't need anything.   She is still on it (18 months).  She goes every 3 weeks and then every 3 months for MUGA test to make sure it hasn't affected her heart, but she has been fine.   

Hoping all your continuing treatments are without incident. 

My best to you,

Kathy

• Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    Great Drug

I had herceptin for a year every 3 weeks, it made me ache but not to bad. I have read since I was treated that if you take Clartion for a few days before and after it helps, I am 7 years out herceptin is a medical drug it has only been on the market for about 20 years. We are lucky good luck with your treatments.p

• 3132MEP3
    3132MEP3 Member Posts: 2
    Herceptin

Recently started Herceptin only after chemo treatments.  Didn't bother me much first treatment, and was relieved. Then started radiation also. Feeling worse now but assume this is the radiation. Hoping everything's ok because my last two treatments of my full multi drug chemo infusions had to be reduced because they made me so sick. Can't shake the sinking feeling I got when they cut back on the dosage of those treatments,  but I do know Herceptin is a life saver.

• 3132MEP3
    3132MEP3 Member Posts: 2

Herceptin

I was dx with Her2+ double neg in July 2015.  I was on the cocktail of TCHP every three week for 6 cycles!!!!  YEA it was very tough.  Surgery, radiation continued herceptin.  I just finished herceptin and the only side effects I've had is,  joint pain and feeling really tired.  That all comes about around the 7th day after treatment.  Keep in mind herceptin stays in your system for 21 days.

Surgery

Did you have mastectomy or lumpectomy only? Am curious because your treatment and diagnosis sounds very close to mine. Have found breast cancer comes in so many types it is hard to figure some things on side effects and outcomes.

• Sasu
    Sasu Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2016 #13
    Herceptin

i had my hercaption after my other chemo.  I think it depends on each individual as far as any reaction or side effect.  Mine was delayed due to more issues I was having from the previous treatments.  Most people don't have issues with it, but of course I did.  It sent my blood pressure through the roof...dangerously high.  Through medication, etc, we got the old blood pressure to a liveable level and proceeded with the herceptin infusions. My reaction wasn't exactly a normal one, but by this time we learned my body wasn't going to do anything routine through my treatment.  Oh yeah.....the blood pressure is still high five years later.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Sasu said:

Herceptin

i had my hercaption after my other chemo.  I think it depends on each individual as far as any reaction or side effect.  Mine was delayed due to more issues I was having from the previous treatments.  Most people don't have issues with it, but of course I did.  It sent my blood pressure through the roof...dangerously high.  Through medication, etc, we got the old blood pressure to a liveable level and proceeded with the herceptin infusions. My reaction wasn't exactly a normal one, but by this time we learned my body wasn't going to do anything routine through my treatment.  Oh yeah.....the blood pressure is still high five years later.

Not alone Sasu

I have 5 more Herceptins to go and a couple months ago they started the Ameridex.  I feel like there are little animals in my bones chewing them apart.  Had my bone scan, it is fine.  I feel like I am 90.  So how are you now?