Chemo drugs

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member

The chemo I am taking is Carbopltin and Paclitaxel.for Ovarien Cancer.Any imput about these drugs please?

Comments

• worldsojourner
    worldsojourner Member Posts: 11
    side effects

eI had the usual hair loss, permanent anemia afterwards, wakness in hands and feet from neuropathy. Here is a good site for more info:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovariancancer/detailedguide/ovarian-cancer-treating-chemotherapy

Here is another link on cancer distress that really helped me. I went to a support group too. Still go sometimes. God bless you!

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/emotionalsideeffects/distressinpeoplewithcancer/index

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited June 2016 #3
    I'm surprised the doctor's

I'm surprised the doctor's office hasn't provided you some information on this.  Carbo and taxol are commomly used for other gyn cancers, so while I did not have ovarian, I hope you don't mind the input.  Please keep in mind that chemo usually causes constipation and I will always remember what I heard one woman said, "Miralax is a miracle".  I figured out how to work that in to the treatment plan.  Some women report diarrhea though.  It is scary, but you will do ok.  We are here for you.

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    I had carbo and taxol for

I had carbo and taxol for endometrial cancer.  As NoTime said, constipation was a big issue for me, too.  I started taking Miralax the day before and for a few days after chemo and that helped a lot.  Stay hydrated, too.  I also had intermittent stomach pains as well as some heartburn, something I rarely experienced before chemo.  Pepcid helped and it doesn't interfere with those drugs.  The anti-nausea drugs that were prescribed before and after chemo kept that at bay, with only a few minor episodes of queasiness.  I took L-glutamine and Vitamin B-6 and B-12 to help prevent neuropathy.  I can't say for sure that it worked, but I had only minor numbness in my fingertips and toes.

By now you've had one treatment, yes?  How are you doing so far?

Chris

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Neuropathy

Neuopathy and mouth sores are some of the potential side effects from the chemo drugs.  You can reduce the risks of having these by icing your fingers and toes and sucking on ice during the Taxol infusion, along with the B6 and B12, Editgirl mentions.  I did this and had essentially no neuropathy or mouth sores.  I also started putting an ice pack on my head during the Taxol infusions (after I already lost my hair) and had about 1/4 inch of hair by the time I finished chemo.  If you feel up to doing some research, there is a lot of evidence that fasting around your chemo days drastically reduces side effects from treatment.  There are specific guidelines to follow if you plan to do this and you should be able to find them online.  Good luck. 

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Hey Pat~See you gave us a new photo-Who's your furry friend?

Hey there Pat:

We meet again.  I see you got a new picture.  Looks like you have a furry friend beside you.  Now I do have to turn my head to the left to see you, but I can use the exercise.  The older people get, the more they need to bend their neck around anyway.  Besides, I would never want to be called a "stiff neck!"  :)

By now you’ve hopefully got your port and finished one session of chemo.  Yes Carboplatin and Paclitaxel (Taxol) are usually prescribed for Ovarian Cancer.  They are prescribed for Peritoneal Cancer as well.  So I thought I had sent you already, some tips I sent to “Brian from the North” for his mom, and I will put them again here for you.  Now remember, summer sun is not for chemo patients.  So wear a hat and maybe even carry a pretty "parasol" if you plan to be outdoors for any length at a time, say like for a picnic, or a walk in the park with your furry friend. 

Also I will put two links from “ChemoCare.com” as well as a video explaining how chemotherapy works.  Now we all can attest to “how it feels” but we can’t see it working on the inside, we can only “see or feel” the effects.  And there are side effects, but each person will differ as to how their body responds.  Probably the best part is when the volunteer ladies come around at noon with lots of free goodies.  That was always a diversion.  The days can be long and like I’ve said before, a friend, a laptop, smart phone, or something to divert your attention from the session itself.  But you have been through this before years ago so you can do it again. 

Okay hoping all things go well for you with few side effects, to go along with the “good effects” - that being the death of those cancer culprits!

All the Best to you Pat,

Loretta

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/carboplatin.aspx

All the info you need to know about Carboplatin and probable side effects.

2.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Paclitaxel.aspx

Commonly called “Taxol”

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKIRWY-LMYc

Animated video of chemotherapy and how it works on cancer cells.

“Published on Jul 27, 2012 - This video about chemotherapy, created by Nucleus Medical Media, depicts normal cell division, apoptosis, tumor cell formation, tumor development, and angiogenesis of a tumor. It describes the cause of tumor cell formation at the genetic level with DNA, and metastasis through blood and lymph vessels. This animation covers the various effects of chemotherapy: cancer cell death, tumor death, destruction of normal cells and tissue. It also covers the side effects associated with chemotherapy treatments. Also described are related treatments, such as, radiation, pills, capsules, liquids, intravenous injections, surgical procedures, catheterization, CSF injection, wafter placement, and schedule of treatments.”

4.  http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646

Things I found to be helpful during my chemo sessions of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel (Taxol) - 6 sessions @ 3-week intervals

“Hello again Brian,

This letter is an answer to what I promised you earlier about things I found helpful during my chemo sessions. .. As for Mom, it may be that she tolerates all of her treatments extremely well.  It may be also that as she progresses, the treatments may take a toll on her physically.  Either result will be normal, keeping in mind that chemo is never a “piece of cake”, but it is tolerable and can be very effective.  It has been for me…”

___________________End of references________________

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member

side effects

eI had the usual hair loss, permanent anemia afterwards, wakness in hands and feet from neuropathy. Here is a good site for more info:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovariancancer/detailedguide/ovarian-cancer-treating-chemotherapy

Here is another link on cancer distress that really helped me. I went to a support group too. Still go sometimes. God bless you!

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/emotionalsideeffects/distressinpeoplewithcancer/index

Hair loss

how long until you lost your hair.I still have mine after 3 treatments

• margaux
    margaux Member Posts: 12
    Panic attacks and major

Panic attacks and major depression in relation to Carboplautin. If you start noticing these symptoms report to dr. Oncologists sometimes deny that the drugs have these effects and they do not take the psychiatric side into consideration--very much--only the lifesaving part. Quality of life afterward is so massively important.