Radiation two times per day.

Options

Comments

• Jacjac2
    Jacjac2 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I finished chemo and not all

I finished chemo and not all cancer was taken care of. Now facing radiation two times a day for 5-6 weeks. Has anyone been thru this. 

How for art are the two per day treatments  well as any effects. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited June 2016 #3
    Options
    Jacjac, are you talking

Jacjac, are you talking external or internal (bracytherapy)?  I had both.  The external was once, everyday for 5 weeks and internal was once, every week for 3 weeks.  The "strength" of the dose may be less which is why they are saying twice a day?  It definitely is worth asking. 

Radiation to the abdomen can cause diarrhea, but you can help yourself.  My suggestion is probiotics (which I had already been taking) - the dietician I met with also recomended them, and I had minor side effects.  I have posted about probiotics before but no one ever seems to acknowledges it, so do what you will with the information.  There is also the "B.R.A.T." diet to help if you have diarrhea and I posted a link below. 

Wiki says:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet

I am sure the other women will chime in with thier help as well.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Jacjac, are you talking

Jacjac, are you talking external or internal (bracytherapy)?  I had both.  The external was once, everyday for 5 weeks and internal was once, every week for 3 weeks.  The "strength" of the dose may be less which is why they are saying twice a day?  It definitely is worth asking. 

Radiation to the abdomen can cause diarrhea, but you can help yourself.  My suggestion is probiotics (which I had already been taking) - the dietician I met with also recomended them, and I had minor side effects.  I have posted about probiotics before but no one ever seems to acknowledges it, so do what you will with the information.  There is also the "B.R.A.T." diet to help if you have diarrhea and I posted a link below. 

I've taken probiotics for

I've taken probiotics for years because of chronic diarrhea.  The couple of times I went off them, the diarrhea got much worse.  I will probably be on them the rest of my life.  

Love,

Eldri

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited June 2016 #5
    Options
    Eldri - I will always take

Eldri - I will always take them too.  Happy gut happy life!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options

Jacjac, are you talking

Probiotics during radiation

Probiotics made a huge difference for me during radiation (external - 28 treatments over 6 weeks). I didn't take them the first week or two and experienced diarrhea periodically (OTC Imodium helped). Once I started taking a daily probiotic (with food), I had no more diarrhea episodes.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics, but my

I take probiotics, but my main problem is constipation. I had it during radiation and continue to have it. I have been told this may remain for the rest of my life:(

• Charissa
    Charissa Member Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Soup52 said:

I take probiotics, but my

I take probiotics, but my main problem is constipation. I had it during radiation and continue to have it. I have been told this may remain for the rest of my life:(

I take probiotics too. I will

I take probiotics too. I will increase them, now that I started brachytherapy today.

After my DaVinci surgery, I started taking Dr. Mercola's "Go Easy". It helps stimulate the bowels, promoting gentle regularity. If I need a heavier-duty supplement, I use Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula #1. This one works wonders! But, is a little harder on the gut.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Jacjac, are you talking

No Time for Cancer

With 3 of 6 chemos done, I'm am starting to have questions about life after it and was in fact wondering what the drugs are doing to my gut flora. Your mention of this topic here has me sitting up and taking notice. I'm searching and can't seem to find where you posted about it. Is there a "probiotiic" thread somewhere or would that be a good one to start? I sure don't want to have to take Mira-lax forever!

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited July 2016 #10
    Options
    MAbound said:

No Time for Cancer

With 3 of 6 chemos done, I'm am starting to have questions about life after it and was in fact wondering what the drugs are doing to my gut flora. Your mention of this topic here has me sitting up and taking notice. I'm searching and can't seem to find where you posted about it. Is there a "probiotiic" thread somewhere or would that be a good one to start? I sure don't want to have to take Mira-lax forever!

MAbound, I have sent you a

MAbound, I have sent you a message. 

Also, jacjac who started this thread - How are YOU doing??