Blood clots

peony
peony Member Posts: 306 Member

I found out Friday that I have a blood clot in my leg. I'll be giving myself a shot (Lovenox), twice daily, every day, for six months.  My sister, who had a mastectomy 20 years ago, also developed a blood clot (in her lung) post surgery.  Is it a common occurence, or is it just us?

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    i got clots

but i was on chemo, no recent surgeries. My son got one with surgery, he has a blood cancer.  Surgery was not related to cancer, but the clots are!  

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    I don't think it is uncommon . . .

A good friend had surgery for a broken femur recently.  She is also on chemo for metastatic breast cancer (mets to bones).  She developed a blood clot in that leg.  "They" don't know if the clot was the result of the surgery, the chemo, or the cancer.  Sounds like the "perfect storm" to me.  It resolved.  She had Lovenox injections daily X 6 months.  I recall that I had (still have) some onsided edema in my leg and they were all worried about a clot while I was on chemo.  I did not have a clot, but they worried about one.  So I guess it is not uncommon . .

Suzanne