A Total 180 from Last Week

Has anybody at first thought - yeah hospice is a good idea and then a week later flip out and say you're pissed that the doctor didn't give you more options? That happened with my dad. At first he was accepting, almost at peace, now he's pissed that his doctors didn't try harder. I told him you talked to one doctor who said that - you have like 5 other doctors. He said they cut him off... I said no, if you called, they'd see you for sure. You told them you were done, they are following what you said. So now we're there. He said I want to become stronger - which he has - he no longer has a problem walking. He's upset because everything tastes like cardboard (threw a plate the other night cuz the hotdog tasted bad). He wants to eat - he's starving, but everything tastes the same. He asked if I ever have seen pictures of holocaust victims cuz that's what he looks like. I said you need to eat to stop that. He wants to eat, but hates the taste of food. Weed doesn't always help. Some days he does eat all day, others he doesn't. He thinks he has another UTI - so he immediately called and was offended the doctor didn't personally call him back. I told him most don't for something like that. 

His cognitive function has come back - this is normal behavior... Like prior to cancer diagnosis. Shocking considering the whole brain radiation usually doing the opposite. I feel bad because he wants to eat, but won't take advice. That's the stubbornness. 

He had a TDAP and steroid shot Monday. Not sure if that has anything to do with the sudden vigilance.

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Food and stuff

Food and stuff

Try getting some Ensure Plus, or the generic (Walmart brand) equivalent to Ensure Plus. It has to be the "Plus" versions though. And the Vanilla seems to be the better tasting of the lot......

The Ensure Plus beverage types will add weight and generate an appetite as well, and seems to work fast!

Best hopes,

John

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2016 #3
    John23 said:

Food and stuff

Food and stuff

Try getting some Ensure Plus, or the generic (Walmart brand) equivalent to Ensure Plus. It has to be the "Plus" versions though. And the Vanilla seems to be the better tasting of the lot......

The Ensure Plus beverage types will add weight and generate an appetite as well, and seems to work fast!

Best hopes,

John

I wish he'd drink it. He

I wish he'd drink it. He drank so much of it during chemo it now is like evil to him. And yeah, this was a long time ago. He asked did you ever drink some type of alcohol so much that you can't stand the smell or taste now? And... Yeah, I have. Hahaha. He said he'll drink what they have cuz that **** is expensive. Motivated by not wasting money. 

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2016 #4
    What about ice cream, there

What about ice cream, there must be a hundred different flavors. Sometimes eating isn't about taste, it's just getting something in you. He could just be acting out his frustration, and deciding he doesn't like any of the choices, and/or food. If that's it, your not going to have an answer he'll agree with, so you just have to listen and be there..............................................Dave

• SilentRenegade
    edited June 2016 #5

What about ice cream, there

What about ice cream, there must be a hundred different flavors. Sometimes eating isn't about taste, it's just getting something in you. He could just be acting out his frustration, and deciding he doesn't like any of the choices, and/or food. If that's it, your not going to have an answer he'll agree with, so you just have to listen and be there..............................................Dave

It's day by day. Yesterday he

It's day by day. Yesterday he ate a bunch of different foods. Really enjoyed cranberry jelly and a side of green beans - even are half an open faced turkey sandwich with it, and then snacked heavily throughout the day. They put him on cipro for a UTI yesterday and now he feels ****. I told him to eat with antibiotics - I was always told to. He did drink ensure without being asked today. So that's definitely improvement. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

It's day by day. Yesterday he

It's day by day. Yesterday he ate a bunch of different foods. Really enjoyed cranberry jelly and a side of green beans - even are half an open faced turkey sandwich with it, and then snacked heavily throughout the day. They put him on cipro for a UTI yesterday and now he feels ****. I told him to eat with antibiotics - I was always told to. He did drink ensure without being asked today. So that's definitely improvement. 

Day by day

It certainly is a day by day slog at times.  I am happy to hear that he has been eating. Just go with the flow, and try not to badger him too much. He sounds like a proud, independant man, and that will give him the get up and go he needs to battle this. 

Be good to yourself as well. You don't need the stress, or too much stress. Take care of your own health. 

SUE

• SilentRenegade
    Trubrit said:

Day by day

It certainly is a day by day slog at times.  I am happy to hear that he has been eating. Just go with the flow, and try not to badger him too much. He sounds like a proud, independant man, and that will give him the get up and go he needs to battle this. 

Be good to yourself as well. You don't need the stress, or too much stress. Take care of your own health. 

SUE

My mom says he is now acting

My mom says he is now acting like a pregnant woman with random cravings... last night he randomly told her he wanted Jersey corn... That's being harvested this week, luckily. Tonight he asked about Lobster Bisque. Then about KRAFT Mac and cheese. She offered another brand, had to be Kraft. He is now eating meat again in small amounts.