My radiation journey - Week 6

Options
2»

Comments

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    Options
    As a start...

Today us my first radiation treatment.  I too am glad I found this place.  Thinking of you Steven and Lisa as I start.  

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Rottiesmom, first two weeks

Rottiesmom, first two weeks were the easiest. Third week the sores got worse. Enjoy eating for the next week and into second week. 

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2016 #24
    Options
    Holding all of you who are currently riding the bus...

in my thoughts and prayers. It is such a hard and bumpy road! But it does get better!

Barbara

• Fritz
    Fritz Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Steven - Get 'er Done!!!

Steven:

You are almost to the end so push forward. You have been such an inspiration in sharing your journey on this site.  I, like Lise, am about to complete week 4 and only have 14 more rads and 2 chemos as of today!  The details you have provided have helped me plan my way through this journey and I appreciate that so much. Being from the South, I will just give you advice from one of our great philosophers (Larry the Cable Guy, of course) ....

..... GET 'ER DONE!! 

You have this in your sights.  Best of luck and keep us posted on your post treatment recovery!!

Freddie

• stevenpepe
    stevenpepe Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words and

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Today was my last full treatment. I now have to endure 3 booster treatments to my tongue. Yay.

I lost 5 lbs this week. Solids are out. Boost is all I drink and I'm lucky to get 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I've been out of it this past weekend and had little desire to eat. Remember when we were talking about burgers? How I yearn for those days :)

Seriously plan on some sort of liquid diet. Whether it's Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, or your own concoction. You will most likely need it. If you can do puree, that's great. I know for me, liquids are the fastest and easiest to ingest. The frustration of eating is just too much to struggle with right now.

For those right behind me, week 5 on gets really tough. The sores in my mouth were tame for weeks until week 5. I've left work earlier than expected. I simply don't have the energy to work even half days. I will keep you in my thoughts. 

• LiseA
    Options
    I have 12 more treatments but

I have 12 more treatments but two booster shots that they're doing on my regular days of rads. regular zap in morning, booster in afternoon.  I also had 14 extra boosters in my four week sessions. Wth is up with these extra boosters?? 

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Stephen, LiseA, & Freddie

You Go Guys & Girl !!!!!

• rcaulder
    rcaulder Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2016 #29
    Options
    Hind sight

Yes Steve, treatments get tough, like labor pains(increasing) as we go . This gives into great relief though at the end. The last day leaving radiation you'll experience accomplishment. You and your Dr's had to beat the cancer, unfortunately it takes getting a beating.  This will all be hind sight soon.  I look forward to hearing your news, and we will,  you are cancer free.

• SusanUES
    SusanUES Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Acckkkk...poor Steven

Read this and I could feel your pain...and I know it's evil-bad.  Those sores are just so debilitating, they consume you.  I stopped speaking for three weeks after my final treatment because it was like having shark's teeth in my mouth...every movement was agonizing.  Believe me, you will feel much, much better once the ulcerations heal over.  I've got no magic insights but the Pepto-Bismol swish helps, try it:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/03/31/sixteen-home-remedies-for-canker-sores/

Hang in, you've done, cooked...now you have to cool off.  Big hugs!!

• LiseA
    edited June 2016 #31
    Options
    Thanks for the head ups about

Thanks for the head ups about about puréed food, Steven. I'm running trying to play catch up with you.  Wish I knew you under different circumstances, because you sound like a fun person. Take care of yourself. Soon all of this will be just a memory.  

• RottiesMom
    Options
    Prayers

Prayers for you Lise, Steve, and Freddie!  I've got 2 Chemo and 34 radiations to go!

• cardoza33
    cardoza33 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Thanks for the kind words and

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Today was my last full treatment. I now have to endure 3 booster treatments to my tongue. Yay.

I lost 5 lbs this week. Solids are out. Boost is all I drink and I'm lucky to get 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I've been out of it this past weekend and had little desire to eat. Remember when we were talking about burgers? How I yearn for those days :)

Seriously plan on some sort of liquid diet. Whether it's Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, or your own concoction. You will most likely need it. If you can do puree, that's great. I know for me, liquids are the fastest and easiest to ingest. The frustration of eating is just too much to struggle with right now.

For those right behind me, week 5 on gets really tough. The sores in my mouth were tame for weeks until week 5. I've left work earlier than expected. I simply don't have the energy to work even half days. I will keep you in my thoughts. 

Nice work

Honestly, you are doing great.  I was feeding tube dependent and not able to work through my treatment nearly as long as you have.  keep up the fight.  Once you get done with the treatment you can put 100 percent of her energy into rest and recovery.  Rest is your friend.  Keep your mind positive and let yourself heal.  Your body has been through hell.  It takes time to heal.  Good luck.

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    Options
    RottiesMom

You Go Girl , cheering for you Also. I read that you are uncomfortable with the feeding tube.  I totally understand.  I have had mine for 2 months and it will be taken out tomorrow.  Yea!!!  I also had pain especially right in the beginning.  Had to spend  1 night in the hospital to adjust pain meds and learn how to feed and care for my tube.  To this day, can not lay at all on the tube, and if I twist or lift funny I get a sharp stab. Does the plastic disc lay directly on your skin?  Or are there little raised plastic "bumpers" on the bottom of the disk that rest on your skin?  If there is a gap between the disc and the skin you can fold your gauze pad under and put it between the disc and skin for comfort. Takes some of the pressure off.   Lisa

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Your last full treatment is done!

That's a milestone! The next few days and weeks will be tough - but you're over the hump. I feel like my husband literally dragged and clawed his way over the finish line of radiation treatments. For a few of them he was wheeled down from his hospital room because he was "in house" for severe neutropenia from the chemo. But just remember those x-rays annihilating those bad cancer cells...and you DID it.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers Steven...and those who are right behind you in treatment. It seems like a lot are on a similar timeline right now. Bless you all and wishing you strength.

Barbara

• RottiesMom
    Options
    Exactly Lisa!!

I can't later on my left side and anytime I do anything with my ab muscles...ouch!  It does have the buttons on the disk and  I do put a gauze under it.  Thanks for the support!