feeling hopeless

Options
nino5
nino5 Member Posts: 29

Hi everyone my name is william and i have few questions for you guys. 

1. It is possible to develop oral cancer through hpv and just months after a possible exposure? ?

2 can someone get medical treatment for cancer despite lack of insurance? ?

Recently i visited two ent doctors and both told me that i have hypertrophy on base of tongue . This scared me because i know there's a link between hpv and base of tongue cancer.  They said its a hypertrophy than means the base of my tongue is larger. I feel pain under my jaw and i have dry mouth.  Please any advice.  Thank you! !

Comments

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited June 2016 #2
    Options
    welcome

     

    nino5, 

    Welcome to the H&N forum.

    1.  Generally, it takes years.

    2.  Yes

    It is not cancer until it has been confirmed.  Usually through a biopsy.

    I had stage IVa, scc, bot, 1 lymph node (surgery, rads & Erbitux).   I had NO pain, just a swollen lymph node.

    Don’t borrow trouble till it is time

    Good Luck

    Matt

     

     

     

     

     

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

    welcome

     

    nino5, 

    Welcome to the H&N forum.

    1.  Generally, it takes years.

    2.  Yes

    It is not cancer until it has been confirmed.  Usually through a biopsy.

    I had stage IVa, scc, bot, 1 lymph node (surgery, rads & Erbitux).   I had NO pain, just a swollen lymph node.

    Don’t borrow trouble till it is time

    Good Luck

    Matt

     

     

     

     

     

    Thank you for your answer

    Thank you for your answer Matt.  I'm  so stressed with this. I'm  worried because the pain in my throat is here still, i have trouble eating and speaking sometimes and dry mouth! 

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited June 2016 #4
    Options
    for me

    nino5,

    Cancer is the #1 stressor on this site.

    Worried is a given, but until they say “cancer” we hope it is not.

    There are numerous indicators for cancer, but they also apply to less scary conditions.

    I did not have pain, trouble eating, speaking difficulties or dry mouth until treatment or after.

    On your side,

    Matt

  • wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Welcome to H&N group

    Welcome and thanks for stopping by. The reason I worded it that was is you most likely will not need to be here which is a good thing.
    To your questions:
    1.   Doctors can't really say how long it takes. Also, 85% that are exposed to it, clear up with their own immune system within two years and it never goes to cancer.

    2    Yes. 
    As for you being told it is hypertrophy, that is not cancer and is quite common. Also, most cancers, and especially in the early stages have no pain with them.    My tumor was in my throat and it had no pain and was stage 3 [they thought 4 before surgery] I did get an ear ache.

    Now the best of all: It's not cancer until a doctor tells you it is. I know that just the thought can and does scare the heck out us. I would guess you have 98% or better, it is not cancer, just  hypertrophy which can be painful.

    I do agree with Matt, and he had BOT Stage IV, and is extremely knowledgeable about it. Sorry, you are having pain and hope it clears soon. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

    Bill

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    wmc said:

    Welcome to H&N group

    Welcome and thanks for stopping by. The reason I worded it that was is you most likely will not need to be here which is a good thing.
    To your questions:
    1.   Doctors can't really say how long it takes. Also, 85% that are exposed to it, clear up with their own immune system within two years and it never goes to cancer.

    2    Yes. 
    As for you being told it is hypertrophy, that is not cancer and is quite common. Also, most cancers, and especially in the early stages have no pain with them.    My tumor was in my throat and it had no pain and was stage 3 [they thought 4 before surgery] I did get an ear ache.

    Now the best of all: It's not cancer until a doctor tells you it is. I know that just the thought can and does scare the heck out us. I would guess you have 98% or better, it is not cancer, just  hypertrophy which can be painful.

    I do agree with Matt, and he had BOT Stage IV, and is extremely knowledgeable about it. Sorry, you are having pain and hope it clears soon. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

    Bill

    Thank you for your answer

    Thank you for your answer Billl i really appreciate your time. I will try no to think to much about it but the pain is really hard. 

    God bless you! 

  • Reggie13
    Reggie13 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi nino5. I very well can

    Hi nino5. I very well can relate to you.  I have base of tongue cancer. I'm positive it from hpv.  I've had major drama as a result.  I lost my ability to swallow, dry mouth, lost of speech, etc.  I'll happy to share more if you would like.  Just let me know.  I was diagnosed in 2003 (stage IV).

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    H Reggie thank you for your

    H Reggie thank you for your answer and of course i would like to have a conversation with you.  Can you give your email address? 

    Thank you! !

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited June 2016 #9
    Options
    ???????????

     

    nino5,

    I cannot stress enough how important a positive test for cancer is needed.  Do everything you need to solve the “what ifs” then you will know whether to worry or not.

    Matt

    PS you can private message Reggie13.

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi nino

     

    Sorry to hear that but like Matt said you don’t have cancer until the doctor says you have cancer. You look very young so even if it is cancer so will be strong enough to fight it and become a survivor like many here on CSN H&N. Please stay with us when you get your report back from your ENT and let us how you are doing.

     

    God Bless and Welcome to CSN H&N

    Tim

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2016 #11
    Options
    Matt: I'm  trying hard to

    Matt: I'm  trying hard to found out What's going on with my throat and tongue. Thank you for your words! 

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hondo said:

    Hi nino

     

    Sorry to hear that but like Matt said you don’t have cancer until the doctor says you have cancer. You look very young so even if it is cancer so will be strong enough to fight it and become a survivor like many here on CSN H&N. Please stay with us when you get your report back from your ENT and let us how you are doing.

     

    God Bless and Welcome to CSN H&N

    Tim

    hi hondo

    Thank you  for your reply.  I'm  33 years old and i live in New York. And i will be posting about my medical tests. I don't drink and i don't smoke. I'm only concern about hpv virus.

    Thank you  hondo!!

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    Matt's perspective

    nino5,

    My sister is a doctor of viro-biology who retired just recently.  She spent her last 8 years working with the  Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).  She said it is common to take years for the hpv to present itself as a cancerous ulcer.  Until it does become visible it resides hidden under the surface layer of skin.

    As Bill mentioned many people’s immune system deals with the hpv.  In my case, my anti-hpv soldiers were no match and I acquired hpv related cancer.

    In the past a handful of people have become H&N members only to find themselves (fortunately) without cancer.  I hope you are one of the handful.

    Matt

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2016 #14
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

    Matt's perspective

    nino5,

    My sister is a doctor of viro-biology who retired just recently.  She spent her last 8 years working with the  Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).  She said it is common to take years for the hpv to present itself as a cancerous ulcer.  Until it does become visible it resides hidden under the surface layer of skin.

    As Bill mentioned many people’s immune system deals with the hpv.  In my case, my anti-hpv soldiers were no match and I acquired hpv related cancer.

    In the past a handful of people have become H&N members only to find themselves (fortunately) without cancer.  I hope you are one of the handful.

    Matt

    5 months and got hypertrophy on base of tongue

    Matt after 5 months being exposed to the virus i got hypertrophy on base of tongue.  But i don't know if it is causing the hypertrophy or another virus but definitely this not normal. Although its not cancer my ENT doctor said I'm paranoid thinking it could be i  the furure. I'm  surprised how fast something can make a lesion i your body.  I learned in internet that younger people are being diagnosed with oral cancer due to the hpv virus.  So i don't  know what to think  about my tongue. 

    William

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2016 #15
    Options
    lws said:

    Be Encouraged William!

    Hi William,

    Dry-mouth was a major problem for me. I had to become aggressive in learning new ways to manage it after 3 oral surgeries and 37 weeks of radiation. It can be done I assure you.

    Take care and b encouraged!

     

    iws thank you for your response

    Like i said before i have been dealing with pain in my throat i have dry mouth and sometimes i have difficulty speaking and eating. 

    Despite my ENT doctor said its not cancer its so uncomfortable.  He put me on antibiotics twice but nothing works.  I had and endoscopy and i came negative.  So my hypertrophy tongue is bothering me to much. When I'm trying to sleep i feel like the airways is blocked  and my mother says i snoring a lot too.

    William2016-06-25

  • fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The Gold Standard

    A biopsy of a suspicious lesion, node or area is the gold standard for diagnosing H&N cancer.  The thing is, there has to be something to biopsy. If you're that concerned, a 2nd opinion at a CCC (Comprehensice Cancer Center) would be in order. If you follow through with a 2nd opinion and all is clear, it would be prudent to look into help with the anxiety you have over this illness.

    Positive thoughts and prayers

    "T"

     

  • nino5
    nino5 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

    The Gold Standard

    A biopsy of a suspicious lesion, node or area is the gold standard for diagnosing H&N cancer.  The thing is, there has to be something to biopsy. If you're that concerned, a 2nd opinion at a CCC (Comprehensice Cancer Center) would be in order. If you follow through with a 2nd opinion and all is clear, it would be prudent to look into help with the anxiety you have over this illness.

    Positive thoughts and prayers

    "T"

     

    Thank you

    I will  consider your points. I'm going to see another ENT doctor to get a second opinion. 

    Thank you! !

  • lws
    lws Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Be Encouraged William!

    Hi William,

    Dry-mouth was a major problem for me. I had to become aggressive in learning new ways to manage it after 3 oral surgeries and 37 weeks of radiation. It can be done I assure you.

    Take care and b encouraged!

     

  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    edited June 2016 #19
    Options
    Nino....Nino....Nino

    relasx and breathe a little.  You've managed to whip up a storm in your mind over something that is about 99.9% not related to cancer or HPV.  Did the ENT say anything about acid reflux?  I did a little research on hypertrophy on base of tongue...nowhere did I see the word cancer....but I saw acid reflux over, and over....and over.  The dry mouth....and even some of the pain....can come from the nervous state you've whipped yourself into. 

    Most of us haven't a clue when we were exposed to HPV....how do know you were?  Actually, that doesn't matter....at least half the people in the world have been exposed....

    p