Cooking and chemo

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I have my first chemo treatment tomorrow. For the past few weeks I've been cooking and freezing food to eat during treatment. I've received several cookbooks as gifts: THE CANCER-FIGHTING KITCHEN and ONE BITE AT A TIME by Rebecca Katz and EATING WELL THROUGH CANCER by Holly Clegg. So far I've cooked Katz's Magic Mineral Broth, sweet potato soup, and cornbread, and Clegg's chicken with lemon and feta. Tonight I'm simmering Katz's Commonweal Tea, so the house smells like Christmas. I only hope I feel like eating these things (or anything) a few days from now.

I'd be interested in hearing about others' favorite recipes during chemo, from these cookbooks or other sources.

Comments

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    Don't Be Surprised...

I thought one of the FEW perks from getting cancer is that I would lose a ton of weight.  They gave me steroids(lots of them!) as pre-treatment which gave me a terrible hunger!  I GAINED 30 pounds DURING chemo!  So don't be surprised if you want to eat EVERYTHING!  LOL!  Good luck tomorrow...relax and breath!  Best, Debrajo

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    edited June 2016 #3
    debrajo said:

Don't Be Surprised...

I thought one of the FEW perks from getting cancer is that I would lose a ton of weight.  They gave me steroids(lots of them!) as pre-treatment which gave me a terrible hunger!  I GAINED 30 pounds DURING chemo!  So don't be surprised if you want to eat EVERYTHING!  LOL!  Good luck tomorrow...relax and breath!  Best, Debrajo

Funny that you should say

Funny that you should say that. I haven't had much appetite since my hysterectomy six weeks ago, but I've been disappointed that I've only lost about 16 pounds, including what they took out. Never occurred to me I might gain weight, though! Thanks for your note.

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    One Bite at a Time

I love this book!  A friend gave it to me after my diagnosis.  Katz's roast chicken is a winner, if you have time to roast a chicken.  The good thing about that is that there is always left over chicken, at least cooking for one.  I've then used that for her Chicken Potpie and pasta salads.  Her Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes are yummy, too!

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited June 2016 #5
    I had been meaning to post on

I had been meaning to post on your last thread and even did once and our internet wasnt working good so when i went to send the post it didnt work. I did want to wish you the best on your treatment tommarrow and the best for the days following.  My first chemo treatment was one week ago.  I had one day i didnt feel like eating so all I ate was watermelon and a bunch of other fruits.  I was just glad i ate some thing.  Yesterday I sat on the couch and told myself i wanted something really good.  I think i would have eaten a steak had i had one in the house.  I really had a good appitite.  I agree with the others to not be supprised if you feel like eating.  Its good you are preparing your food before hand.  I went shopping the saturday before chemo and got what i thought i would like.  I will be thinking of you tommarrow.