Post radiation rash/itching

grandmakath
grandmakath Member Posts: 4

At about a month post radiation, I developed a miserable itching rash at the site. Over the next several weeks it spread to arms and legs, then back. Welts and bumps. took several rounds of steroids but no relief. I saw a dermatologist and she put me on higher dose steroids tapering off over 21 days. The welts are much better and the itching is somewhat better, but it is still keeping me from getting good sleep. I've had some bleeding/scabbing. The doctor also said to stay out of the sun and use only Cetaphil on it. I feel like the steroids are just masking the underlying problems.  I have an appointment with an Integrative Medicine doctor in a few weeks to see if an anti-imflammatory diet might help and if there is anything else I can do. I am  now four months post radiation and this is tough! Any advice?

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Could it be shingles?

Could it be shingles?

Denise

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Shingles and itching

I just had shingles in the middle of treatment - I think someone in the medical field would have recognized it immediately if that was the case.  I shudder to think of them returning, so I am constantly on the watch.

as to the sun and itching . . . I am currently half way through my radiation, and over the last week (our days have been close to 90 degrees) I have noticed that I am itchy in the sun.  I am wondering if it is radiation related or a delayed effect of the chemo (6 rounds of taxotere/cytoxin).  

I am not technological, so I can not link you to a discussion, but search under the Title "Heat and itchy skin" on this site.  It was posted by DoubleWhammy ( thanks, Suzanne) several years ago.

There is never an easy answer.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I hope you find relief soon.

Kathy

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    may want to see if the steroids are helping or hurting.

I was given steroids to try and help strengthen my legs..  probably a long shot, and help with the pain.  Now I have these like sores, or blisters first, then drain, scabs and itches like crazy.  1st time, was given by dermatologist, cortisone cream to help....  it really took off. Of course it was summer and mostly my legs were effected.  Wouldn't you know I have it again

I was given steroids to boost my immune system, along with iv antibiotjcsOff the steroids, but now have sores again, started in the same exact area, so I am assuming it is the same. Once wants me to go to dermatologist again..

I say not yet, wait a week or two and see.  last time it took about 5 month and a third doctor to determine psoriasis, brought on by steroids???